Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

Confectionery -no longer available.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 284 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Jan 2009 09:52:18 GMT
Page Turner says:
Old English Spangles.... I LOVED LOVED LOVED them especially the black ones and the mustard coloured ones that tasted nothing like the description I've just given them. Apologies in advance to the easily turned among you but I'm salivating [just like Pavlov's dogs] just thinking about them.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2009 20:30:01 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Jan 2009 20:31:13 GMT
Paul Tapner says:
do they still make caramac bars? I loved those. then around 1997 they changed the flavour. and they weren't nearly as good. I wrote to nestle and said that, and they wrote back and said the change had been based on a lot of feedback. even so I never brought another one.

and around 1989 - advertised on tv at the time with kenneth williams, or someone who sounded like him, voicing a mummy - pyramints. chocolate in the shape of pyramids with a rich creamy filling, the same kind of filling as after eights. they were fantastic.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2009 02:20:04 GMT
C. P. Horne says:
Jolly Ranchers - they were the very cornerstone of my youth. Delicious, fruit-flavoured hard candies that everyone at my secondary school used to go about stinking of. Watermelon was the best flavour.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2009 17:53:38 GMT
McGowans Egg & Milk chews. The same people who make Highland Toffee. I remember Egg & Milk chews from the mid 1960's, but the last time I had any was about 10 years ago when I wrote to McGowans saying that I couldn't find them on sale anywhere. They sent me a complimentary sample (of about 20). I've looked at online sellers such as "aquarterof" but can't find them on sale anywhere :-(

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Feb 2009 16:58:12 GMT
How about Texan bars, they were chewy caramel/nougat in the middle ( can't fully remember which because it was so long ago) covered in chocolate.
god I wish I was a kid again.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Feb 2009 17:11:55 GMT
Adam Jackson says:
Counters!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Feb 2009 20:49:53 GMT
Last edited by the author on 1 Feb 2009 20:50:18 GMT
belly lugosi says:
i remember among other things arrow bars, mojos and spanish gold coconut tobacco anyone here like them, i certainly did

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Feb 2009 20:53:07 GMT
belly lugosi says:
does anyone remeber aztec bars by cadburys i think similar to a chunky mars bar,they brought a limited editon back out about 3 or 4 years ago, these were out probably early 70's. also anyone remember duet's similar packaged and shaped like bountys in the double pack but were pink and white in either bar

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Feb 2009 20:53:59 GMT
belly lugosi says:
i hated those old english spangles the black ones..lol still shudder thinking of them.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Feb 2009 20:55:23 GMT
Last edited by the author on 1 Feb 2009 20:55:42 GMT
belly lugosi says:
i loved those milk chews i used to buy those and the little sambo chewing gum as a kid they both tasted fantastic.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2009 12:28:40 GMT
Paul Tapner says:
I remember seeing aztec bars advertised but I don't recall trying one

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2009 13:43:11 GMT
Page Turner says:
yeah I have a vague recollection of Aztec bars, where they a bit like a wispa?

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2009 19:14:27 GMT
Please tell me other people remember Ice Breakers. They were crystalline green mint covered in chocolate. I loved them as a kid.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2009 19:52:56 GMT
Yep, definitely Galaxy Counters - I still remeber the white packet with the little giraffe on the front - a little like cadbury chocolate buttons but the chocolate was a lot creamier

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2009 22:21:55 GMT
S. O'ROURKE says:
I remember the impossible to eat Texan bars!! Pretty certain it was caramel, not nougat.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2009 07:17:31 GMT
Roy Howitt says:
Some that are still widely available but are no where near as good as they used to be : Cadbury's Dairy Milk and Kit-Kat bars (Does anyone else agree? ) Oh and slightly off topic, any Canadian chocolate I have tried has been absolutely foul! ( I treated a Canadian person to some Thornton's chocolate and after one bite her opinion was that she had thought she had died and gone to heaven! )

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2009 08:46:38 GMT
I remember pryramints! So so good! I asked if anyone remembered them at work and got a round of blank stares! Best way to eat was stick them in the fridge then bite all the chocolate off as the mint filling had solidified. Also remember eating the pyramint easter egg as well - love that dark chocolate *sigh*

Posted on 5 Feb 2009 14:37:31 GMT
Greebo2001 says:
Pink Panther bars..Nummy nummy num num
^..^

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Feb 2009 00:03:58 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Feb 2009 00:05:26 GMT
Not sweets but does anyone else remember chip shop curry sticks? I loved them in primary school but can't seem to find them anymore :( Back to the subject, there was the short lived wispa gold (wispa bar with caramel) but i have a bad memory of it because i ate one and it made me so ill! Also, when a 10p mix used to have lots of sweets? Happy days! Was the pink panther bar with wafers cos if it was i remember having one of them (probably wrong!).

Posted on 28 Feb 2009 15:48:31 GMT
J. E. Grist says:
I loved Pacers. They were green and white striped chewy mints. Lovely. I also like Fry's Five Centres. For some reason it is the only flavour you can't get anymore. Not forgetting the Cabana Bar. This was coconut with a cherry in the middle.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Mar 2009 17:25:01 GMT
Halcyon Days says:
Old English Spangles were the best !! I also remember chocolates similar to Roses and Quality Street called ''LUCKY NUMBERS'' ,a TIFFIN BAR,MILK TRAY in a bar..not a box, 1d and 2d foil wrapped cadbury's and then the 3d with it's paper over wrap.SMOKERS SETS in liqorice from Bassets and YOGPOP iced lollies.....Oh and sunny warm days when we could walk ourselves to the sweet shop to buy these things!!

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Mar 2009 20:44:52 GMT
Alessi Lover says:
Yes Spangles, you got them in selection boxes at Christmas as well. The smell of them is something that is so hard to describe. smelt something very like it the other day and was taken back to when I had them. In a orangey red and white packet.

Those Caramac bars had a funny smell to them but tasted devine probably due to loads of sugar, but they were nice, along wih Paynes Poppets in the assorted flavours in one box.

Cadburys Weekend (box of chocs) with chocs and little fondant sweets inside the box, looked really expensive with having those candies in the box. Feeling quite peckish now.

Black aniseed chews they tasted so full of aniseed and smelt strong of it too, left your tongue and teeth black, so everyone could tell what you had been eating along with the fruit salad ones, red/pinky tongue and teeth then.

Its a wonder our generation have any teeth left.

And I only came to have a look at Mr Bean dvd reviews and have suddenly been taken back a few years.

Posted on 2 Mar 2009 14:32:41 GMT
Jacqui says:
does anyone remember those cadburys dairy milk bars each segment of chocolate had a different soft filling such as strawberry caramel or orange i think they may have dissappeared around the mid 1980's, such a shame I loved them my only saving grace is that now
I live in australia and we have ( unlike the uK) cadbury "snack" which is a similar thing.

Posted on 2 Mar 2009 14:34:33 GMT
Jacqui says:
does anyone remember those cadburys dairy milk bars each segment of chocolate had a different soft filling such as strawberry caramel or orange i think they may have dissappeared around the mid 1980's, such a shame I loved them my only saving grace is that now
I live in australia and we have ( unlike the uK) cadbury "snack" which is a similar thing.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Mar 2009 14:43:33 GMT
Alessi Lover says:
Were they the Fry's ones? You could get a dark choc bar (the choc was quite bitter but nice) with white filling or the assorted ones, everyone always wanted the strawberry one first.
Pretty sure you can still get the dark choc bar with white filling in UK.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the television discussion forum (614 discussions)

ARRAY(0xa9a74f00)

This discussion

Participants:  180
Total posts:  284
Initial post:  23 Jan 2009
Latest post:  26 Feb 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers

Search Customer Discussions