Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

What do you think of Jools Holland's Hogmanay show?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Jan 2013 18:59:55 GMT
John Gammon says:
I watched this again a couple of days ago on BBC, and once again felt a bit uncomfortable and unentertained, as though I'm peering through the window at a party to which I've not been invited. I'm a bit fed up of the format: it's great to see interesting and talented new bands I've not heard of before, but seeing lame acts who had a hit 20 years ago playing those same songs, but worse, as though someone at the BBC is feeling sorry for them, is very poor telly. Also, though I'm sure I'd get better results if I attached better speakers to my digital TV, the BBC seem to remove the bass notes in a way that I don't notice in other music channels. It's particularly noticed in the black music acts. What are they afraid of? I'd be sorry to see Jools go though - but I do think the BBC should discuss upgrading the format a little. Laters!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2013 10:32:11 GMT
sistermoon says:
I haven't seen it yet, but I had to laugh elsewhere when someone described Kevin Rowland as sounding like the club singer from Shooting Stars!

Posted on 4 Jan 2013 15:25:42 GMT
sistermoon says:
I finally saw it and got a bit fed up with Emeli Sande hogging it all. And Bobby Womack.

Posted on 4 Jan 2013 21:20:45 GMT
Mrs A Tribe says:
Have watched it a few years now but didn't feel like it this year and watched the fireworks instead. I like Jools but just feel the format is a bit tired and, of course, it is all pre-recorded anyway.

Posted on 8 Jan 2013 00:22:16 GMT
I watched about a hour of it while at a freinds house and didnt mind it. They had some good gropus on like the dubliners, bobby womack, kevin roland, roland gift, adam ant and i really liked that 4 headed green monster singing "thanks for the memory" or maybe that didnt happen the "crovesner" was in attendance that night possibly leading to me falling over during the walk home in mud and losing my glasses, just say no kids.

Posted on 8 Jan 2013 00:49:15 GMT
Jools Holland is such a pretentious fool. He really loves himself far too much, can't stand the chap but some of the guests are good. When there not puffing each others egos up.

Posted on 10 Jan 2013 18:29:45 GMT
fish says:
Complete over indulgence and very boring music ...Basically crap.

Posted on 11 Jan 2013 15:26:34 GMT
I think the Dubliners stole the show, well into their 80s now and they're giving people a run for their money. Emily Sandé annoys me anyway, and Petula Clark was absolutely awful.

Do think though the show needs a new format, and John Bishop was awful too.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jan 2013 10:49:14 GMT
AngelLotus says:
Please don't diss Emeli - she can do no wrong for me.
I thought it was entertaining to see all the old acts - it's just a shame they haven't aged well, particularly their voices!

Posted on 16 Jan 2013 01:04:29 GMT
JJMMWGDuPree says:
Best music programme of the year on telly, already.

But Jools should give up trying to interview people, he's really, er... not very good at it...

Posted on 17 Jan 2013 07:03:34 GMT
Dysee says:
NYE would not be the same without it. We always have a good bop to it

Posted on 17 Jan 2013 14:40:09 GMT
Jools holland? is his nose brown yet? must be! he is way above his station, has been since the tube...yet another pretentios overpaid bbc employee who should have been put either down or out to pasture years ago! wouldnt waste my (or my wifes) time watching that crap! thewizardfromaus
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the television discussion forum (643 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  2 Jan 2013
Latest post:  17 Jan 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions