Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

Buried in the schedules

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Nov 2011 10:34:55 GMT
Sometimes I just dont know what BBC, ITV and C4 execs are playing at. They'll recommission dull as ditchwater but cosy UK shows like Heartbeat, Last of the Summer Wine, The Royal and etc and yet some great home grown and US imports are hidden away in the schedules, being screened on BBC2 after 11pm. This was the fate of Seinfeld and Arrested Development. Series one and two of Two and Half Men were shown around the early evening slot on C4 then that was it. What other shows you rate suffered similar fates.

Posted on 7 Nov 2011 12:58:57 GMT
Curb your enthusiasm , the latest season is currently showing on more 4 at something like 11.30 pm. And I never saw a trailer announcing the new series was showing on tv now it's nearly over , I only discovered this show after seeing on DVD about 6 years after the first season because it would only get random late night slots.
Monk, another show that I only discovered on DVD thanks to tv schedules, as it was shown in the afternoons first on bbc2 then later on itv.
Millennium, another DVD discovery years after showing on tv , I think it used to be on itv around 11.30 pm through the week originally.
I think the reason why the shows you mention have been on in the same slot for years is through fear of upsetting all the " old dears" who would fire off a letter of complaint to tv centre or even their mp if the shows were moved. How heartbeat and the royal stayed on air for so long I'll never know as they were total garbage, like midsummer murders as well, tv execs if you read this, do us a favour and accidentally lose this shows then we'll not have to endure them again!

Posted on 7 Nov 2011 15:40:51 GMT
Blimey, Midsomer Murders. You'd ve thought that with John Nettles jumping ship they'd have taken the opportunity to knock it on the head but oh no, they're doing a Taggart. As for home grown gems, BBC3's How Not To Live Your Life and Russell Howard's Good News have yet to be promoted to 2 or 1. They've probably been left there as they're certainly likely to upset old biddies.

Posted on 7 Nov 2011 18:04:04 GMT
sonicscooby says:
GBH was showing on itv3 in the early hours - some of us work! and that was a couple of years ago - bring it back at a decent time - still very watchable.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2012 12:58:37 GMT
sistermoon says:
And now How Not To Live Your Life and Mongrels have been axed.

Posted on 4 Feb 2012 17:13:42 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Feb 2012 17:35:58 GMT
Paul Tapner says:
Medium. The first american show to appear on bbc1 in a long time, and they buried it after 10pm with no promotion. It could be graphically violent at times and thus it had to go out after the watershed, but some of the crime dramas that appear at 9pm have the same level of violence. But they're british shows, so they get treated differently. And Medium at it's best was just as good. Thank goodness living picked up the last three years after the bbc dropped it.

King of the Hill: It wasn't a kids cartoon. It wasn't a cult cartoon series. It wasn't one with quickfire gags. It was an animated sitcom. Because of that channel four didn't know what to do with it. And a show that was one the funniest sitcoms they ever had got buried.

The trouble is with the cosy old british shows vs imports is that tv stations - particularly the bbc by virtue of being public funded - are under lots of pressure to produce homegrown shows rather than fill the schedules with imports. I can remember the days when repeats of the original star trek would be on bbc1 on a monday night. It would never happen now.

Posted on 7 Feb 2012 08:51:49 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Feb 2012 16:07:29 GMT
The thing is that most US series are just not very good ... the comedy isn't funny, the violence is just gratuitous and the acting is OTT.

Very occasionally there is one worth watchcing, such as Dexter. Medium would have been OK if the storyline had been kept to the crime solving and not disolving into dreary American Dream soap opera home life.

Thank goodness not many of these shows make it in the UK. UK TV has always been miles better.

Posted on 7 Feb 2012 12:01:41 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Feb 2012 12:25:20 GMT
In regard to kevin Paynes post about US tv shows I completely disagree, most of my favourite tv shows ever are US imports, yes you do get some garbage, but I would personally say that about 95% of British tv production over the last 20years is garbage as its all stupid reality shows that only succeed in getting Simon Cowell even richer.

The problem we have in England now is that there is not enough quality programmes shown on tv. in my view we dont get enough US imports
and each TV channel only caters for a limited Audience. for example
BBC1 and 2 , all upper class lord and ladys of the manor type
programmes, property shows, Food snobs Cookery,antiques , and
farming not to mention a never ending cycle of repeats of only fools
and horses, hyacinth
bucket, and other 30 years old shows which should be thrown in the
skip years ago. Then theres the ITV trash channels that only cater for
reality star wannabes, wannabe WAGS, and Chavs , with garbage like
Jeremy Kyle, Emmerdale, Corrie, X Factor, Britains not got Talent, and
the like, years back you would see some great US imports on ITV 1and
2 even ITV 4 with the David Letterman show , but then they decided
that they were just going to be the simon cowell tv network showing
80% cowell and 20% soaps .
Channel4 and the more4 channels are the best of a bad lot , especially now they dont show friends anymore, because they are now the only TV
network that caters for a wide audience , and they do show new US tv
series so if its good , it gives you a chance to get into something new.
Even Sky nowadays is no good, about 15/20 years back all the top US
shows would be on there like the X files, nowadays its all ex eastenders
tough guys, and some idiot who insults handicapped people as part of
his "comedy act".
This is why I no longer watch tv channels hardly as theres nothing new or of interest, unless youre in one of the groups above . and I import
new tv shows from the states on Dvd if i want to watch a new tv series.

Posted on 7 Feb 2012 16:06:07 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Feb 2012 08:51:05 GMT
I agree that 95% of UK TV is garbage...the problem is that 99.9% of US TV is worse.

Friends? Good? Pull the other one... it's exactly the sort of unfunny pathetic attempt at so-called humour I would expect from US TV who don't seem to realise comedy is meant to make you laugh. Dumbed down tripe for dumbed down audiences at best.

Posted on 10 Feb 2012 10:36:57 GMT
Hey Kev, not pulling your punches here either I see. Each to his own n all that but on balance I'd rather watch most US imports than UK made TV. As I've said, much of the better UK stuff is either shown at the witching hour or is consigned to BBC3 and other minority channels. With all the BBC and advertisers budget cuts I guess we'll be in for more p*sspoor cut price TV starring gormless wannabe members of the public and reruns of poor 70s sitcoms.

Posted on 11 Feb 2012 01:34:30 GMT
Nuge ...each to their own as you say, but I find US TV unwatchable in the main...comedy that to me is NOT funny, drama that is OTT rather than dramatical , and the fact that the programmed are designed to have so many ad breaks to satisfy US schedules makes them too bitty for the UK viewer to watch without gross irritation.

However, over 98% of the output from both countries is unadulterated cr*p .

Posted on 14 Feb 2012 17:45:31 GMT
Paul Tapner says:
Gerry Anderson's all new Captain Scarlet. The creator of the original remakes it. In CGI. Could it be the perfect thing for ITV to use a rival to the return of Doctor Who? [This was in 2005]/

No. They bury it away in the middle of children's shows on a saturday morning. Cut it in half. And then show the rest on weekday afternoons.

Confident in the belief that Celebrity Wrestling will be a ratings winner and trounce the Doctor.

And we all know how that one turned out.

Posted on 16 Feb 2012 22:20:05 GMT
R. P. Scott says:
Nothing annoys me more than to find that a program I've been watching is suddenly switched from its normal slot and I miis the last episode. A fine example being Earthflight. But far from the only occasion it has happened.

Posted on 17 Feb 2012 11:10:07 GMT
Porpoise says:
I was watching The Hour on BBCHD (11pm) recently because I missed it the first time round. First four episodes of six shown and then nothing . Maddening.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Mar 2012 12:58:13 GMT
Last edited by the author on 1 Mar 2012 12:58:33 GMT
So what does bring a slight smile to your face Kev?

Posted on 1 Mar 2012 22:47:49 GMT
You can not be serious! "US series are not very good"

Twin Peaks
Carnivale
In Treatment
Rome
Six Feet Under
The Sopranos
Angels in America
The Wire
The West Wing
Dexter
The Shield
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee
Breaking Bad
Treme
Mad Men
Sons of Anarchy

I rest my case!

PS maybe it's because I'm Scottish, but in my opinion UK TV drama is not nearly as good as the US of A kind ;-)

Posted on 2 Mar 2012 08:49:19 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Mar 2012 13:02:06 GMT
The only one of those I would give houseroom to is Dexter, PH... you may be resting YOUR case , but your taste is not mine. I finf the others unwatchable, overblown tripe.

Posted on 2 Mar 2012 09:48:31 GMT
Sean Lock's 15 Storeys High. The most criminally underrated and overlooked comedy of all time and currently cheap as chips on Amazon. I really cannot recommend enough.

Taken from Wikipedia:

Series one was initially broadcast on BBC Choice (the forerunner to BBC Three) from 7 November 2002 to 12 December 2002. Series two was broadcast from 12 February 2004 to 18 March 2004.

In 2003, 15 Storeys High was nominated for a BAFTA in the Best New Director category for its unique style, and innovative shots.

"It should not take more than six minutes of your time to realise that this is the best comedy on television"
- The Sunday Times

"Lock's off-the-beaten-track sitcom is inadequate preparation for the live experience. On television Lock is bleak to the point of alienation."
- Bruce Dessau in the London Evening Standard, 19 December 2002

"The straight acting, the rawness of the dialogue and arid production values make this resemble a Beckett play as filmed by Krzysztof Kieslowski. Minimal but beautifully constructed plots involve accidents at the local swimming baths and the loss of a sofa. On paper, 15 Storeys High is not remotely funny, but onscreen it has a bittersweet allure."
- Bruce Dessau in the London Evening Standard, 2 January 2004

"Many of the most successful sitcoms, such as Steptoe and Son, Fawlty Towers and Porridge, have featured characters who, for one reason or another, are unable to escape from each other. While no one would suggest that 15 Storeys High is in that league, it possesses an appealingly dark sense of the absurd..."
- James Rampton in The Independent, 26 February 2004

"extraordinarily well-written comedy with plot strands and incidental characters worthy of vintage Seinfeld."
- The Times

15 Storeys High : Complete BBC Series 1 & 2 [DVD]

Posted on 2 Mar 2012 12:24:49 GMT
Paul Tapner says:
Herman's head. Fantastic american sitcom about the life of a fact checker at a publishing house. But given an added dimension because you kept seeing into his mind, which was run by four people. An arrogant smart man. A nice woman. A complete and utter slob. And a timid man.

Also noteworthy because the cast featured Yeardley Smith - the voice of Lisa Simpson - in a rare live action role. And also included Hank Azaria, one of her simpsons colleagues.

I turned onto this in the small hours of one morning in 1994 on channel four whilst waiting for a game in the world cup to kick off, and got hooked. but it's never been repeated and isnt even available on dvd. It has been referenced in the simpsons a couple of times and there are a few clips on youtube

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Mar 2012 22:39:58 GMT
Yes of course I was putting my case for quality (in my opinion) US drama forward, I thought that's what discussions were for..

I'd be interested to know how you arrived at your opinion since you called them "unwatchable".

Perhaps you could share with us the 5% of UK television that you think worthy of watching.

Posted on 3 Mar 2012 16:35:37 GMT
nk99 says:
UK channels often seem to buy US imports and then not know what to do with them, so they're shown at Midnight on 5USA, More4...etc and inevitably don't find an audience. Naturally the channel can't justify spending more money on later seasons of something that got such a tiny audience, and other channels don't want to buy them because they see the previous failure as evidence that the UK public isn't interested, so the people who would've loved the show either never to get find out about it or have to hunt it out themselves on DVD (if it's even available - if no channel's currently showing it, it's often not).

As for UK programmes, How Not to Live Your Life and Ideal were two BBC3 comedies I liked a lot - because of that channel's reputation, I don't think they were ever able to reach the audience they deserved. Also, the US import Gilmore Girls used to be shown all the time on E4 daytime - very witty comedy-drama that I'm sure would've been more popular if given a primetime slot.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Mar 2012 15:32:21 GMT
Bit harsh there Kev. Generally the US imports like those Paranoid Hippy lists are very well made. I dont like any of them though, including Dexter, but I get the appeal of The Sopranos, West Wing, Shield and Mad Men. Never cared for Twin Peaks apart from the title sequence and the theme tune, which are top notch.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Mar 2012 18:39:22 GMT
Nugent_Dirt
Thank you, you've restored my faith a bit, even though they're not to your taste you can see that my choice of drama is very well made and I also think full of good actors and directors. I often watch films with my grown up children (aged from 20-30) that I don't really like but can appreciate how well made and acted they are.

You've got me thinking about Twin Peaks though, maybe watching it again 20 years on would be a different experience, I just loved how different it was from everything else at that time.

Posted on 9 May 2012 21:58:43 BDT
Quornhog says:
"Trevor's World of Sport": see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor%27s_World_of_Sport for the story of how that got mucked about.

Then there are niche programmes like "SF:UK" and "The Shape of Things That Hum", but I suppose the scheduling doesn't really matter, 'cos if you're interested enough in the subject matter, you'll find them.

Posted on 7 May 2013 14:51:51 BDT
Greg Chapman says:
'Supernatural' got pissed about by ITV and then Sky took it on. It lost the viewers loyal enough to keep with it despite ITV moving it about.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  7 Nov 2011
Latest post:  11 May 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions