Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

The Singing, Ringing Tree

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Mar 2009 13:05:25 GMT
Who remembers this children's cult classic from the late sixties? It still makes my skin crawl - the creepy magic dwarf hiding in the shell. I managed to find it on DVD eventually but in the original German with English sub-titles.

Posted on 23 Mar 2009 18:49:13 GMT
Orlando says:
Yes I remember this series and it was very creepy indeed I've also got it on DVD haven't had chance to watch it as yet I wonder if I will still feel the same as all those years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Mar 2009 19:22:17 GMT
Orlando,
Do watch it and bask in childhood memories - you will find it strangely spooky still - although, to our modern eyes, with very amateurish visual effects - but bearing in mind it was made in the late fifties (1958 I think) in post war, Communist, bankrupt East Germany, it still stands the test of time as a kid's programme that can stop people (of a certain age!) in their tracks when you ask them if they remember it.

Posted on 23 Mar 2009 20:00:37 GMT
drjeks says:
Just seen it with my wife and almost 6 year old daughter - daughter transfixed and wife very nostaligic! Hope it won't traumatise her (our daughter, that is)! I don't remember it but it certainly is a true fairytale - very cute. The colour rendition is very good but a fair bit of uneven speed with the music, but nonetheless very enjoyable.
For me, the scariest thing was to see how the actress who played the princess has changed in the extra footage......

Posted on 24 Mar 2009 12:00:41 GMT
Gosh I must have been a real creepy child as I loved it and didnt see anything weird about it .. its typical today that would never be allowed on TV for kids .. Kids never see the bad in these programmes as they are not as sick and corrupted by the world around them. Its like they wanted to stop aAndy Pandy getting into the box with Ted as it would encourange homosexuality How sick are the people that think these things up .. its a Teddy bear and a Puppet.. get a life..I loved Andy Pandy as well

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Mar 2009 14:55:23 GMT
jillyliz says:
Do you remember Belle and Sebastian too? Oh and the music particularly from Robinson Crusoe. Very nostalgic!

Posted on 25 Mar 2009 14:45:07 GMT
H. T. Davies says:
Excellent stuff. Watched it last year and thoroughly enjoyed it; The prince changing into a bear is a bit lame by today's SFX standards but great nonetheless. The interview with the actress is a bit spooky ! But all in all it's still a great programme and we'll certainly eb watching it again.

Posted on 31 Mar 2009 23:57:43 BDT
Barbara Hunt says:
Far too creepy. So was Pippi Longstocking. My favourite kids TV was The Lightning Tree. I have an old single with the song "White Horses" which was bought for me as a child, if there was there such a TV programme, I can't remember properly if there was, the mists of time are descending.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Apr 2009 17:49:04 BDT
x-Rach-x says:
Yes indeed there was a programme called White Horses. As for all those Tales From Europe definitly nightmare material. Also was anyone else in love with Sebastien as a child? I wonder what he looke like as an adult.

Posted on 26 Oct 2013 23:39:38 BDT
John Gammon says:
The Lightning Tree was Follyfoot, surely. Excellent TV.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the television discussion forum (630 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  23 Mar 2009
Latest post:  26 Oct 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions