Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

SUBTITLES FOR DEAF OR HARD OF HEARING

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1736 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Jan 2009 16:54:14 GMT
Book Lady says:
Should Amazon tell us if DVD's or Boxsets have english subtitles for those who have hearing problems? I find that sometimes they don't mention if subtitles are available. I can't buy DVD's or Boxsets if there are none because I am hard of hearing.
Does anyone else have this problem? Amazon is great for checking out all sort of films etc

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2009 17:34:09 GMT
Anita says:
OR the very same English subtitles for foreigners who can read English, but have some problems with spoken English! There are other discussions on the subject, and it seems, that the only way out is helping each other, if there's enough of benevolent people willing to supply the subtitles information in their reviews or to answer a question, if somebody asks. (Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Just like Amazon.)
Likewise the link http://dvd-subtitles.com/ mentioned elsewhere sometimes helps, sometimes not.
So, Amazon, PLEASE: subtitles information is vital for at least some of us!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2009 20:38:41 GMT
Paul Tapner says:
I always make a point of including such information in my reviews, and I've always answered any query I've ever had from anyone wanting to know. after all reviewing guidelines do say try and think what a potential purchaser may want to know, and I think it's a vital bit of information

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2009 06:43:31 GMT
I am a Cypriot and I buy a lot of DVDs from Amazon ... Although my understanding of the English language is very good, I find it much easier to watch a movie which is subtitled. I have contacted Amazon 3 times about this ... they replied that they are doing their best to supply subtitling info but I don't think they are really trying. Such info is absent from even the latest entries! The site mentioned above dvd-subtitles.com sometimes does help but not always. Let's hope Amazon will read these entries and do something about it.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2009 20:32:31 GMT
DVDDemon says:
I'm hard of hearing too and need subtitles, I with you a hundred percent! surely thay can just add the information on the box to their listing info! then again there's an awful lot of tv series out there without subtitles, mostly classic oldies from playback and network.. but sommetimes (rarely) they don't say they have subtitles but they do ! like rosseane or even worse they have subtiltles for the first few series then not after, like the a team, knightrider, murder she wrote etc i can go on all day!

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2009 10:48:29 GMT
Yes I have the same problem.
I ordered the full box set of House, and now it's gathering dust since I cannot watch it without subtitles.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2009 11:43:18 GMT
Greetings from Portugal!

I am now a regular Amazon.co.uk buyer (DVDs, books, and so on) and I have the same problem. No info about subtitles. I can see a movie or a TV series in english, without any subtitle - yes, I know enough english to do it - but every time we miss something and the english subtitles help me not to miss anything, even if I can't hear the actor of don't understand the meaning of some expression. It's not that hard to do. Almost all site on-line have that info together with a lot of other info on the title in question...

Amazon is now one of the largest on-line stores and probably one of the biggest DVD sellers worldwide. It's in their interest to provide that info, so not only people from UK or so cam buy the titles, but guys like me, that have english as second language, that want to but titles from Amazon, but being sure they are subtitled.

For example I'm waiting now, for some months now, for anybody to confirm to me if the "The 4400" Series Box have english subtitles. I love that series; here in Portugal, it only has been releases season 1... And I really want the cool box with the entire series.

I did the same with Babylon 5, Ally McBeall, Sex and the City. Also bought all the Star Trek series, Space 1999, BattleStar Galactica (old and new series)... well I lost count - have to check the invoices in the archive...

About the 4400 Box, if somebody can confirm the subtitles, I would appreciate.

Good luck to all in solving your problems!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jan 2009 12:01:05 GMT
Hi
I have exactly the same problem! It's rreally frustrating they will tell ypou if you email but that is time consuming, at one point they lisated it opn features but sometimes it's not listed but the DVD is subtitled, It's a mine field really

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2009 07:57:38 GMT
M. Manuel says:
Yes the 4400 has sub titles. Does somebody know about Jeeves And Wooster - The Complete Collection [1990] and Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister and The complete Sherlock Holmes. At least on those big series Amazon could update the information or create an specific field for that information. For a customer centric organization when it comes to sbasic information it leaves a lot to be desired

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2009 07:58:17 GMT
M. Manuel says:
you should return it to Amazon

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2009 11:13:05 GMT
Anita says:
M. Manuel: The Complete Sherlock Holmes (with Jeremy Brett) has English HOH subtitles. In fact mine is another edition (available second-hand, as far as I can tell), but I really think that the more recent version is also subtitled, as it seems just repackaged. But if you are interested in Basil Rathbone's Holmes, beware: no subtitles.
Sorry, can't answer about the other shows you asked.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2009 14:19:24 GMT
M. Cardoso says:
Hi, I just bought Season 1 from Will & Grace, hoping that it has english subtitles, because in the info regarding the product it only mentions the language. Does anybody know if it has subtitles? Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2009 15:02:27 GMT
It should be mandatory that every single DVD had to have English subtitles for HOH. I'm Portuguese and I buy dozens of DVD series and movies from Amazon each year. English is my second language, and I have no problem what so ever in understanding what's being said by actors. Sometimes actors play different accents (bad Welsh or Scottish accent, bad German accent, sci-fi imaginary terms and so on), and there I find understanding and comprehension problems. Subtitles are vital for the HOH, not for me (thank God for that, but there will come a time, no doubt), nevertheless, I also find it very useful. It's discriminatory for people with disabilities, so subtitles should be mandatory.

I also dazzle myself with the fact that some US DVDs have English subtitles, but the same region 2 DVDs have none (30 Rock, as an example); Same happens otherwise.

Great shows, with a legion of world wide fans, have no subtitles and audio options what so ever! I believe those producers to be absolute morons (I'm waiting for Farscape blu ray...maybe, just maybe, they will subtitle it).

Write to your local deputy or congressman, maybe you'll get lucky :-), a pressing group works wonders.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2009 15:41:30 GMT
I Luis, and to whom else it may concern:

4400: Season1-English HOH; S2-English HOH, English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, German, Norwegian and Swedish; S3- same as S2; S4- same as S2.

Ally McBeal: Season1_part1:English HOH, French and Dutch; nexts same as S1p1.

Babylon 5, Cruzades, and movies (complete B5): Season 1: English HOH, German HOH, English, French, German, Dutch, Arabic, Swedish and Turkish; Audio: English and French. S2: English HOH, English, French, Dutch and Arabic (Audio: English and French). S3: same as S2. S4: same as S2. S5: same as S2. Movie Collection: lots of subtitles (English and German HOH; Portuguese also included).Crusade complete series: English HOH, English, French, Dutch and Arabic (Audio: English and French). In the Beginning: English HOH and others. The Gathering: English HOH and English only (audio 2.0 English only). The Legend Of The Rangers: English and Italian HOH, English, French, Italian, Arabic, Dutch and Russian (audio: English, French and Italian).

All of the Star Trek collection (ST-TNG; ST-DS9; ST-V; ST-E; ST-TOS; ST-TAS), all have English subtitles (not all have E-HOH. ST-DVD Movies Collection I-X: all have English HOH.

Sex and the City: all have English Subs (not all have English for HOH).

Battlestar Galactica (new): all have English HOH subs.

How I Met Your Mother S1: English HOH and Swedish (audio: English only).

Damages. S1: English HOH, English, Danish, Finnish, Hindi, Norwegian and Swedish (audio: English only).

Veronica Mars (Region 1 but plays on all Region2 players): all 3 Seasons have English HOH (or SDH, if you prefer).

I have dozens of others more, also Blu Ray, if you wish to know, just ask.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2009 15:48:58 GMT
Rosanna says:
I've got the same problem as Anita, Chariclea et al.: not being an English native-speaker, I prefer to watch Amazon DVDs subtitled. Imagine my surprise last year when I bought from Amazon UK the TV series Lilies, spoken in a deep Liverpudlian accent, and discovered there were not subtitles!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2009 15:54:47 GMT
Rosanna says:
Yes, Manuel, Jeeves & Wooster 1990, and both Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister include English subtitles.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2009 23:32:09 GMT
Hey oMirone,

Thanks from the subtitles confirmations.

Don't even start me on Farscape - I love that series and I e-mailed everybody in the production chain, from Australia to the European distributors, EUA... and no edition exists with English subs, captions, whatever... IN THE WORD!

4 Season of great Sci-Fi storytelling and entertainment, a series that, even today, still has hard core fans around the world, a cast that - "just" covered the exit of Richard Dean Anderson from SG-1 and took place in the main cast - Ben Browder and Claudia Black - the main stars in Fairscape. How can such a series be released ONLY from the English public. Yes, because here in Portugal, people (thank God) hear original English sound with subtitles. And the ones who know, can even see them without subtitles. But countries like Spain, Germany, France, Italy... for the most part they don't even hear the English with subtitles - it must be dubbed in their language... And I don't even mention the Asian markets...

Like it was already been said here - somebody in that chain of decisions, must be completely "alien" (to see the least) of our work, of our market...!

To finish, I leave, again, one request to the excellent (they have proven lots of times) team of Amazon.co.UK - PLEASE - include the subtitle information in your titles database. Remember that it's not only UK citizens or even English spoken people that buy DVDs from you - it's from all Europe, I'm sure and even other parts of the World.

This is an important issue for people like us who buy a lot of DVDs online and it's good to see it out here!

My regards to all, for the small 'debate' :)

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jan 2009 21:31:39 GMT
Anita says:
Sharpe Classic collection, last years 8 discs edition. Could anybody tell me, if it has English subtitles? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jan 2009 13:44:30 GMT
thanks Rosanna. I had Lillies on my wish list. Now it's off!!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jan 2009 13:58:06 GMT
If you want House with subtitles in English as well as spoken, buy them on your next trip to sunny Spain.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jan 2009 19:04:36 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Jan 2009 19:35:47 GMT
Hello all,

I finally decided to buy The 4400 The Complete Series box and all this information is first hand, with the discs on front of me.

Package: brand new digipak with all 15 discs (14 plus 1 Special Features disc)

"
Over the last century, thousands of people have gone missing. Suddenly, 4400 of them are returned all at once in a blinding explosion. Unclear about what this event means, the government investigates the 4400 to piece together where they've been. But then slowly the 4400 begin to manifest strange powers, and it becomes clear that they are going to change the human race... forever!

Now relive every moment - from its powerful premiere to its haunting conclusion - in this exclusive 15-disc DVD collector's set. The 4400 - The Complete Series includes all four extraordinary seasons of the unprecedented sci-fi drama that captured the imagination of audiences worldwide!
"

Season 1 (2 discs)
------------------

Video: Widescreen 1.78:1 anamorphic

Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1

Subtitles: English; English for the Hearing Impared

Season 2 (4 discs)
------------------

Audio: English, German Dolby Digital 5.1

Subtitles: English, German, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Finnish, Dutch, English for the Hearing Impared

Season 3 (4 discs)
------------------

Audio: English, German Dolby Digital 5.1; French Dolby Digital 2.0

Subtitles: Danish, English, German, French, Dutch, Norwegian, Finnish, Swedish, English for the Hearing Impared

Season 4 (4 discs)
------------------

Audio: English, German, French Dolby Digital 5.1

Subtitles: Danish, German, English, French, Dutch, Norwegian, Finnish, Swedish, English for the Hearing Impared

Special Features (disc 15)
--------------------------

Audio: English Dolby Digital 2.0

Subtitles: Danish, German, English, French, Italian, Dutch, Norwegian, Finnish, Swedish, English for the Hearing Impared

- Video Introduction by Series Creator Scott Peters
- Pilot Episode with Audio Commentary by Scott Peters & Joel Gretsch
- The 4400: The Ghost Season
- Promicin: The Moral Choice (4:3)
- Deleted Scenes - seasons 1, 2 & 3 (1.78:1 LB)

--//--

It takes a little time, but all the information is 100% accurate.
Amazon can display this information with the title.

I've done this with other TV Series' boxes. I hope more of "us" will do this in the future, in order to benefit everybody. I also hope Amazon will keep this in mind and do its share in displaying all the need information about the products they are selling.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2009 21:10:38 GMT
Bast says:
Oh, yes. I've got the full run of the Sweeney just gathering dust for that very reason - no subtitles, can't watch. Am HoH.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2009 22:04:58 GMT
Anita says:
BEWARE!!!!!!!!! In case somebody needs a warning:
My list of shame-NO SUBTITLES. I mean no subtitles AT ALL.
(I've posted it elsewhere, seems worth repeating)

Law and Order starting with season 4, SVU and CI starting with season 2 (why?)
Wire In the Blood (why????)
Lynda la Plante Trial and Retribution
Murder Investigation Team
A Touch of Frost series 1 - 5 (series 6 - 12 and 14 have subtitles, YAY!)
The Sweeney
Midsomer Murders (shame)
Taggart
PD James' The Adam Dalgliesh Chronicles (the box set with Martin Shaw as Adam Dalgliesh has subtitles)
Van Der Valk
Rebus (Edit: series 2-3,4 with Ken Stott have English subtitles)
The Vice
Maigret seasons 1&2 complete
House
Little House On the Prairie
Murder Rooms
Spooks season 1 (if you suffer it through, you'll get subtitles for seasons 2-6, hopefully 7, I can't know beforehand)
regrettably, to be continued
------
A miracle: Life On Mars.
Subtitles not mentioned on the package, but both seasons 1 and 2 HAVE subtitles (English only)

Anybody willing to add their disappointments, you are welcome.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2009 13:54:46 GMT
Jose says:
Anita: I do own Sharpe 15 disc set, (Granada 37115 094230 bar code) and does have HoH (all of them)
Hope this helps.
Rgds.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2009 14:04:44 GMT
Last edited by the author on 24 Jan 2009 11:29:18 GMT
Jose says:
Manuel: Jeeves & Wooster is subtitled, and very good subtitled. (granada 37115 09193).
Yes Minister: only subtitles on series 2 and 3 (NO subtitles on series 1!)
Yes Prime Minister: Subtitled.
Sherlock Holmes: Jeremy Brett, the complete collection Granada 37115 07373) has English HoH subtitles (all)
If you are looking for the Basil Rathbone, The Definitive Collection (from the 1940s) a jewel remastered by the UCLA), (Optimum Classic 060034 571995) NO SUBTITLES (shame, shame, shame!!!) but anyway highly recommended if you like old movies.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 70 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the television discussion forum (614 discussions)

ARRAY(0xb4f031c8)

This discussion

Participants:  349
Total posts:  1736
Initial post:  7 Jan 2009
Latest post:  7 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 45 customers

Search Customer Discussions