Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now
Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

Classic films on British TV

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Jun 2013 13:04:58 BDT
John Gammon says:
Is anyone else concerned that children aren't being given a chance to see the classic B&W movies? The BBC's just started putting old films on Saturday morning at about 6.45am before wall-to-wall cookery programming, but with the exception of Hell Drivers and one or two others there doesn't seem to be any quality standard. Surely it's important that people get to see the great stuff of every era? Isn't it part of an education that children grow up knowing who Chaplin, Hitchcock or Welles are?

Posted on 22 Jul 2013 03:09:48 BDT
Greg Chapman says:
I agree with you John. I was brought up in the 90's when there were B&W's on all the time on terrestrial. ITV had some on into the early hours in the mid 2000's. 'Man from Tangier' and 'Behind the Headlines'. Oh no, I tell a lie, 'Behind the Headlines' was Channel 4.

Posted on 25 Jul 2013 17:42:22 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 25 Jul 2013 17:43:14 BDT]

Posted on 25 Jul 2013 17:42:58 BDT
The Avenger says:
I agree too. I think the lack of classic B&W films on TV has something to do with new US copyright laws. Until recently many old films were classed as in the "public domain" which meant prints of varying quality could be shown anywhere without permission of the studios and without those involved ie. the actors. writers, directors etc receiving any royalties. Now the US studios have re-claimed many of these old films and have released them on DVD/Blu-ray often with restored prints. I am presuming that they are now asking for a higher price for TV broadcast rights. This could be why the BBC etc are not showing as many now.

Posted on 28 Jul 2013 16:18:22 BDT
Arosfa says:
You are right until a few months ago I was desperately trying to get 'Woman in a Dressing Gown ' a British film with the late Yvonne Mitchell and Anthony Quail, almost impossible to get and could only be watched via Channel 4 now I own a copy. It was the same with such as 'Spring and Port Wine' 'A Cry from the Streets' with a very young Max Bygraves and so, so many more. Many, many more we can't all afford to keep buying these old classics and would love to see them on tv for everyone to enjoy

Posted on 29 Jul 2013 12:28:47 BDT
Paul Tapner says:
I grew up on the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movies and Will Hay comedies being shown on bbc at 6pm approx on weekday evenings. It's a shame they seem to have vanished from the schedules, and that the bbc don't use that slot for anything much any more. Mind you black and white shows and movies don't get repeated so often simply because they always get lower ratings than anything in colour. And that's down to viewers rather than the bbc

Posted on 29 Jul 2013 17:03:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Jul 2013 17:10:29 BDT
The Avenger says:
Although I understand your point, I doubt the lower ratings would be a factor, particularly for the BBC . As a public broadcaster they have a remit/mandate to provide variety and to provide program content that will appeal to every demographic of the population. BBC2 is generally used for minority viewership and thus will have lower ratings than for BBC1. (Plus BBC4 in recent times seems to have become the home for rare/older content much of it in B&W such as the Judy Garland show, Nat King Cole show etc.) The BBC would know that older movies, even in colour, would not generate high ratings and this alone would not discourage them. After all most documentaries and factual progammes do not generally generate high ratings but the content is considered more important.

Posted on 26 Oct 2013 23:12:36 BDT
John Gammon says:
You might be right about the ratings, Avenger, but it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Many people I know used to love the afternoon films BBC2 used to show in the "Saturday at the movies" slot, an opportunity for families to watch classic movies with the likes of Bette Davis. A couple of years ago, the Film Programme on Radio 4 attempted to find out from the Beeb why classic British films weren't being shown any more and were told the BBC didn't have the slots. They may think this is true, but it can't be true. With all the 24-hour channels the Beeb have, surely they can put a couple of hours in an accessible place once a week, not at the crack of dawn.

Posted on 14 Jun 2015 04:13:03 BDT
Greg Chapman says:
I have found two brilliant sites which are great to get British films from. They have ones which I haven't seen repeated on any stations in twenty years.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  4 Jun 2013
Latest post:  14 Jun 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions