Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

Hill Street Blues

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Jan 2012 16:41:49 GMT
Why have there been no further dvd releases of this show after season 2? Any plans to release more of it?

Posted on 9 Jan 2012 21:57:01 GMT
John Bennett says:
Mr. P.J. Good question. H S B was probably the best "cop" show series EVER from the US and I'd think there would be multi dvds available for this series like the UK's THE BILL.

cheers,

Posted on 10 Jan 2012 12:24:50 GMT
Paul Tapner says:
Dvd series that dont last the distance usually end because the early volumes didnt sell enough to make releasing the rest viable. It may be the case here.

Posted on 10 Apr 2012 12:05:25 BDT
Channel 4 have all the series on 4oD, but not always all at the same time. I watched them all (3-7) about a year or so ago. It (the absence of DVDs) obviously is a 'cost' thing because they are in effect allowing you to watch for nothing!

Posted on 13 Feb 2013 11:37:10 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jun 2013 15:41:35 BDT
John Gammon says:
Every few weeks I check Amazon to see if there's a Hill Street Blues complete boxset and every week it pops up on as a "suggestion", indicating I assume that a lot of other people have done the same as me. The distributors have probably made a decision based on sales of Volume 1 and 2, but the real fans were probably waiting for the complete article. Let's face it, boxsets are going to be fading out from now on, and the distributors clearly can't be bothered.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2013 21:41:59 GMT
Do not waste your time waiting for DVD sets to be completed by the powers that be get yourself a multi region player and a mate in the states and buy them direct. I have been waiting for Perry Mason and Streets of San-Francisco for years and i just do not think these suppliers care either way.

Posted on 19 Feb 2013 09:46:22 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Feb 2013 09:47:11 GMT
Joey says:
HSB was a great show but I'd never call it the 'Best cop show ever from the US'
(no way !)

Getting a multi region DVD player is your best bet (not too expensive on Amazon either) as so many top shows have stalled after one or two seasons in region 2 releases...

I find we get a great deal of 'Televisual piffle' (often the more modern dross) being released on DVD here in the UK while many classic shows are being overlooked...

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Feb 2013 12:37:45 GMT
H. A. Lynch says:
Hi,

My partner is a big fan of HSB and she got through Amazon from a place called - I think - DVD avenue, who I got the similarly impossible- to -get Alfred Hitchcock Hour shows. Admittedly, qual;ity of the recordings of the latter were variable ('unofficial recordings') but I 'd rather have them than not. However, the HSB recordings were pretty good, and when a few in the first set sent out were a bit 'iffy' they replaced it with a whole new set. You will, I fear, be unlikely to get a release of the whole series, so this may be way to do it.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2013 09:23:02 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Feb 2013 09:24:02 GMT
Neil R says:
If you subscribe to DVDExploder.com you can get the info to enable you to make any DVD player multi-region. I've been buying DVDs through Amazon UK and Amazon for some years now and can play NTSC and PAL discs for regions 1, 2 and 4 on my players.

Posted on 21 Feb 2013 10:00:47 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Feb 2013 10:01:22 GMT
John Gammon says:
A warning in case you're watching Hill Street Blues on 4 on Demand, I've just seen Series 6, Episode 9 (in which Norman Buntz and another detective is held captive by an old perpetrator), and it's been cut.

Plus Red Bee Media's subtitles are rubbish mostly owing to a low level of general knowledge on the part of their subtitlers. Some of the Series 6 episodes have the subtitles missing for some reason.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2013 10:12:02 GMT
Yes, 4oD's episodes are cut for 'violence'; on average around 3-5 mins per episode. The series was originally first broadcast at 10:30pm but later repeated in the afternoons some 10 or so years later; it is these 'cut' episodes which formed the first two box sets.

Posted on 4 Jun 2013 15:42:39 BDT
John Gammon says:
It's no wonder people pirate these shows, if the copyright owners won't do right by the viewers.

Posted on 19 Jul 2014 15:42:49 BDT
John Gammon says:
Guess what, it's here! Hill Street Blues: The Complete Series [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (American import, but it's worth getting a multiregion player anyway.)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  9 Jan 2012
Latest post:  19 Jul 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions