Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

Top Gear Series that should be on DVD!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Jul 2011 00:39:08 BDT
J. Dale says:
Why is it that only Top Gear Series 1 - 9 have not been released onto DVD, only from Series 10 +?

And why is it that in Region 2 is that the next Top Gear DVD Series released is Series 13 and not Series 12?! Surely someone must have seen this in the 2|Entertain department!

Posted on 8 Aug 2011 12:33:44 BDT
M. Ian Smith says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Aug 2011 15:25:05 BDT
J. Dale says:
I guess your not a Top Gear fan...

Posted on 8 Aug 2011 15:46:53 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Aug 2011 17:42:07 BDT
J. Dale says:
I see what your trying to say but the boys do these things in good faith though, I mean a few weeks ago, they tried to sort out Train journey's by building a caravan train. This was in aid of finding a cheaper alternative to expensive carriage trains and about the time of all the snow problems due to the shortage of snowplows, the presenters built one to try and help. There are many challenges like this for example that do have a purpose and in a way try to help, although it may be hard to see this because Jezza and the boys most of the time do screw up in the end. Besides Top Gear is not really a priority to be binned that isn't really wasting licence money because according to BARB (Broadcasters' Audience Research Board) the viewer ratings for BBC 2 have the entire recent Series of Top Gear right at the top of number 1, so in that sense, it must be running ok with the general public. Besides if you don't like, just change the channel...

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Aug 2011 00:06:58 BDT
Apropos of your ultimate sentence - I normally do! Building a caravan train? - fine in theory, but completely impractical. Combined Harvesters converted to Snow Ploughs. Yes, as a farmer, I can see the merit in that but WHY do we have to have the crass stupidity that accompanies the article. A good point, well made, and then completely destroyed by their childish pointless antics. Sorry, I must be getting old, but I find the whole Top Gear 'attitude' and raison d'etre somewhat purile - it's not even 'good' television anymore ibn my opinion. Incidentally, I am not necessarily arguing that Top Gear should be binned - (although in its present format, maybe it should be) - just freshen it up a bit and change the focus.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Aug 2011 07:55:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Aug 2011 07:59:07 BDT
J. Martin says:
I agree with what some of you said, such as the show needs freshening up, as in the past couple of series' they do seemed to have been running out of ideas, bar one or two, such as the Snow Plough challenge, and only doing the challenges for the sake of doing a challenge.

But the rest I completely diagree with, because the fun of Top Gear is the chemistry between all three presenters and I can honestly say I have never seen such great and genuine chemistry between any presenters on any show. They clearly are all great friends, but because all three take a different approach to the same task it ends up being hilarious and great fun to watch. Their 'childish pointless antics' are what make Top Gear such great entertainment, because any other show would be dead straight and serious, but Top Gear takes it from the point of view of middle aged, middle class people taking up challenges that affect everyday life, such as budget cuts.

Having said that though, in the last episode of the most recent series they did take quite a serious approach, where Jezza and May looked at the practicalities of electric cars, yet it was still enjoyable and funny. So maybe this is a hint at a change in style for the show. Either way Top Gear is still great fun, and all they need to do is give it the show a more fresh take, but keep the same crass humour, otherwise it's just not Top Gear.

Posted on 12 Aug 2011 18:21:50 BDT
Dean Fuller says:
Top Gear is good programme, but it`s not really about cars, only dreamers...
With all the repeats on Dave it really don`t need to be on dvd too .

Posted on 13 Aug 2011 21:36:01 BDT
Master Card says:
Ignoring the Top Gear episodes, (sorry) but please BBC, put out Clarkson`s 2 documentaries, about the Victoria Cross and St Nazaire raid, as these were about the best bit of TV I think he has ever done. No silly childish pranks, just straight forward story telling. Unfortunately, watching these on You Tube means having to watch about 4 separate episodes as they only allow about 15 minutes per posting.

Posted on 21 Aug 2011 11:38:38 BDT
Well said, Master Card. Let's not forget that 'Jezza' also championed the cause of I.K. Brunel, Esq in a recent BBC TV series called, I believe, The Greatest Britons, or something similar. Absolutely must see TV and presented in a very professional manner by the aforementioned who is, when all is said and done, an extremely talented jounalist. Why oh why then (with acknowledgement to J. Martin's remarks) does he and the other 2 still persist in their childish behaviour, where destruction appears to be all - I just don't get it, I'm afraid. I suspect that we shall just have to agree to disagree on this subject.

Posted on 26 Aug 2011 02:27:46 BDT
Top gear just appeals to the little boy in all of us. We've all got the desire to smash things up, be politically incorrect and drive fast cars in a silly manner, however suppressed it is. It really isn't meant to be a motoring magazine show these days, unless you are in the market for super cars at astronomical prices, but that just accentuates the little boys in us, to think that could be a reality.

It's just a bit of fun. Don't repress your childish urges and pretend you're all sensible and that it's beneath you. Laugh about it, enjoy it, then get back to paying the bills, mowing the lawn or wearing your sandals.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Aug 2011 09:50:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 Aug 2011 09:51:12 BDT
Master Card says:
However it is interesting that outside of Top Gear, theose getting most TV work are James May and Richard Hammond. May (the boring nerd) gets to do serious documentaries, Hammond (the little boy) does kids TV. Clarkson (the boorish one) seems to be getting left behind with just his newspaper columns and the occasional appearance on panel shows, only The Stig seemingly makes less TV appearances (although some say .... he is the weather girl on London Tonight). However I daresay Clarkson makes so much out of Top Gear and all the merchandising that he doesnt have to worry about the price of a litre of lead free.
That said, I do think that the programme is just starting to get a bit "samey", and needs something to liven it up a bit, something like more of the German woman driver Sabine Schmitt (?) for us sad old bloke would be nice.

Posted on 23 Mar 2013 18:12:35 GMT
Ian W. Bruce says:
All Topgear should be released on dvd
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the television discussion forum (614 discussions)

ARRAY(0xb59c20c0)

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  31 Jul 2011
Latest post:  23 Mar 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions