Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

The Age Difference.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 May 2014 18:49:51 BDT
Micky says:
Fellow lovers of good stuff to watch hello....May I start this by saying I think I may be p.....g in the wind here. This is my problem I like so many of you am constantly on the lookout for a good program tv series or movie so I read your reviews for advice and find 888 five star reviews so I buy... whoops.
I believe you know where i'm going....a fifteen year old will have different likes to a fifty year old ...wouldn't it help us all if the reviewers age was stated?
Discuss please, thank you.

Posted on 21 May 2014 20:04:22 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 May 2014 20:05:23 BDT
I can understand what you mean to some extent. I am the only 21 y.o. I know who ignores most of the programmes aimed at my age-group. What sort of things do you enjoy? Might help people give you better recommendations.

With regards to the reviewer age idea - won't work for so many reasons. People will lie, people will refuse to state their age, and reviews aren't simply for TV shows. You wouldn't discount my review of a razor blade simply because you've been shaving longer than me. ;)

Posted on 19 Jul 2014 15:19:08 BDT
John Gammon says:
I've been watching TV since the 1950s and it takes a lot for a TV programme to get me worked up, but it does happen occasionally. There's nothing in the past like The Sopranos or The Shield or even Friday Night Dinner, for example. But usually when I'm told to see a groundbreaking new drama series, I'll find within a few minutes it's been done before, usually better. Today I've been watching Dennis Potter's Casanova, made in the 1970s, and we've definitely lost an ability to tell a human story creatively in TV drama. There are probably many reasons for this, but I suspect two are particularly significant. One, archive TV including children's TV is not being shown routinely on modern channels without it being cut up in documentaries for the modern viewer. Since the critics are mostly younger and have grown up in this culture, they won't watch anything in black & white without thinking it "dated". Also, British writers, directors and producers used to respect TV in the 1960s and 1970s as a medium; now, it's regarded as a stepping stone to Hollywood. Ironically, they still respect TV in the US though. You only have to watch a routine HBO telemovie to realise how poor a lot of the UK home product is.

Posted on 23 Jul 2014 12:13:47 BDT
There are some fab programmes from years ago - even from before my time (mid to late 50s for your info, Micky!) - there are also some clunkers - memory often gilds those lilies until you view them again and think "why did I remember this as being so good?" As far as comedy is concerned - classics usually remain classics - Mary Tyler Moore Show springs to mind. Get Smart has to be the funniest spy spoof ever, so definitely recommend that one - in fact the former from 60s/70s the latter 60s and in many ways that was a golden age for tv (these shows are actually colour or color if you prefer the Americanized version so should please the "no black and white please" brigade - mind you I deplore seeing operations in loving close up - black and white at least gave you the chance to switch channels before reaching for the sick bucket; whereas seeing someone's innards being probed in glorious HD is too much like the Spanish Inquisition for beginners). I'd recommend asking people you know, of different ages, which shows they like and why - some results could be surprising and give you plenty of stuff to view on YouTube before you spring for the expense of buying/renting DVDs etc - of course so much gets recycled on Freeview anyway that you can browse through some of that too!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  16 May 2014
Latest post:  23 Jul 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions