Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

best tv shows no-one else remembers....or do they???? lol

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1526-1550 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jul 2012 20:47:59 BDT
Book Fans says:
Was it the tv dramatisation of the R F Delderfield novel 'A Horseman Riding By? There were a few tv mini series made of his books around that time, including 'The Avenue Goes to War', To Serve Them All My Days' and so on. Check out the book and see if the story synopsis ties in with what you remember of the programme.

Posted on 15 Jul 2012 09:26:39 BDT
The secret diary of adrian mole

Posted on 15 Jul 2012 10:25:27 BDT
what about :ghosts of motley hall : 70/s or 80/s on a sunday ! also big john little john kids afternoon 70/s american programme

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2012 14:27:44 BDT
Pilgrim says:
Thanks for the suggestions but they're not it either I'm afraid. I'm wondering if I'm maybe confusing bits from several different series together into one imaginary mish mash.
One scene that seems to stick in my mind is of the young man in question re-acquainting himself with his friend after his return from the trenches and the pair of them spying on the friends sister whilst she's washing herself. ( No I'm not being pervy I'm just trying to jog somebody's memory regarding what the series might have been!). Again, I have it in my mind that the young lady played the sister in the comedy series Bread ( Melanie Hill) but there is no mention on IMDB of her having been in a series of this description so it seems likely I'm wrong about this too.
Thanks again for trying to help.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2012 17:31:51 BDT
hi, i wasnt replying to your post, just throwing in a few programmes from my childhood , new to this chatroom {sorry}

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2012 20:14:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Jul 2012 20:16:35 BDT
Hello and welcome Peter.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2012 20:21:56 BDT
Pilgrim says:
Sorry Peter. Bit of a mixup here. I'm replying to Book Fans who was throwing some suggestions my way regarding a series from the eighties I've been trying to track down. I'm new here too so maybe I'm not making it clear whom I'm addressing properly. Will try harder next time.

Posted on 15 Jul 2012 20:42:03 BDT
V

Not the "series" which suffered from both poor budgets and predictable endings, but the original.

Also, does anyone else recall Adam Faith as "Budgie"?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2012 21:17:12 BDT
Quornhog says:
Pilgrim

The sister in "Bread" was initially played by Gilly Coman (before Melanie Hill took over the role) so maybe you'll find the series you are after by looking at Coman's IMDB entry.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2012 21:29:05 BDT
yep remember budgie we used to wear budgie jackets, charlie endell was one of characters !

Posted on 15 Jul 2012 23:34:24 BDT
CITV's Round the Bend from the late 80's. Not the australian one about kids living in a lighthouse, but the one with the Alligator and rats living in the sewers and hosting their own kids TV show. I think it may have been made by the same people who did Spitting Image. What I remember most about it was the crude toilet humour and little animations spoofing cartoons and movies, Wee-Man and Thunderpants among others. It was rude and crude looking back at it now, but at the age of 8 it was the funniest thing on TV. It really does deserve a DVD release.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jul 2012 19:33:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jul 2012 19:35:29 BDT
Pilgrim says:
Quornhog

Thanks for that. I've checked and you may be right ( there's no photo available of Gilly so I can't be sure) but it looks like I may be thinking of The Gathering Seed from 1983. I can only glean the very briefest of a synopsis from the internet so I can't be 100% sure I've got the right series but I'm reasonably sure.
Sadly, there doesn't appear to be much at all about it online and there's definitely no dvd available so I'm afraid it will just have to remain something that exists only in my memory. Even my copy of the guinness television encyclopedia makes no mention of it.
Thanks again for your help and if anyone else can add anything else please do.

Posted on 16 Jul 2012 23:11:03 BDT
J. Majury says:
The Human Jungle and Four Just Men.

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 11:25:28 BDT
trish says:
Hi,
Many fondly remembered TV Series in the forum including these popular gems, a must-have for the DVD collection..

Land Of The Giants - The Complete Collection, (Region 2) : Gary Conway
Manimal - The Complete Series, (Region 2) : Simon McCorkindale

US Imports, TV Series ( Region 1):
Tarzan: Season One, Part One-1966 : Ron Ely
Tarzan Season One, Part Two - 1967 : Ron Ely
The Man From Atlantis Complete - 1977: Patrick Duffy
Logans Run Complete - (rare late 70s sci fi) : Gregory Harrison, Randy Powell.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jul 2012 00:29:15 BDT
I remember Hatty Town, I have got a book from the ITV series in the 1970s - its a bit rough round the edges, I tried to get it on dvd, but only a VHS was available, but I did not buy as I have not got a video player anymore. Do you remember Larry the Lamb in Toytown also? I would love to see that again!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jul 2012 00:39:17 BDT
I loved Sapphire and Steel, why was it never repeated? With all the crap that is always repeated, eg Columbo and Murder She Wrote, why hasn't Sapphire and Steel seen the light of day? Strange? Just while I am on a complaining mood, why do Directors constantly move the camera around when watching a performance and put the camera on the audience? Do people go to the Theatre/Cinema to watch the audience I don't think so, it doesn't matter so much when it is singing/music because you can still hear it, but when it is dance/magic/etc you need to see what is going on, but the director/cameraman decides it would be a better idea to look up somebody's skirt/nose/backside! Go figure! Its just that its getting to annoying proportions now on shows such as Britain's Got Talent and X Factor, etc. I am (along with others I would imagine) screaming at the tv - LET ME SEE THE ACT ON THE STAGE NOT TO THE AUDIENCE OR JUDGES!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jul 2012 00:49:51 BDT
Yes, yes, yes and yes! The only thing that comes close to this (and is slightly naughtier) is The Inbetweeners I think - for a slightly older audience, but a similar idea. I loved it, whatever happened to the actors who played Adrian and Pandora? Lulu played Adrian's mum! What a gem of a program! That reminds me, what was the name of that program where Noddy Holder (from Slade) was a PE teacher at a school? I cannot remember for the life of me, it was on late at night on ITV, I think Brian Conley might have been in it too.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jul 2012 00:56:25 BDT
Hi, its not Fortunes of War is it, with Kenneth Brannagh and Emma Thompson (they were together at the time), although it is set in the Second World War not the 1st. Just a suggestion.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jul 2012 01:09:48 BDT
I don't remember those ones, but the titles remind me of The Men's Room where I was first aware of Bill Nighy and Harriet Walter - brilliantly acted series about men getting up to no good - mainly with the ladies!

Also a few years later there was a series called Real Women (I think) about a publishing company called Medusa set in the 1970s - it was aired on Channel 4 in the 1990s. Again, this has never been repeated which is a shame as it was sooo good. It was mainly about feminism, but relationships too.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jul 2012 13:30:36 BDT
Broddr says:
I remember Automan.

And Manimal, they were both among my favourites as a kid.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jul 2012 17:30:55 BDT
Quornhog says:
Dawn

The programme with Noddy Holder and Brian Conley was "The Grimleys". Brilliant stuff, although your memory is letting you dowen a bit; Noddy Holder was the genial headmaster and Brian Conley was the sadistic PE teacher.

Posted on 18 Jul 2012 20:08:50 BDT
Anyone beside me remember Vengeance Unlimited? I liked it - unfortunately only one season was made if I remember correctly.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2012 09:20:57 BDT
Thanks for that, yes I remember now! I think its brill when you get to see your fav pop stars acting - its just a bit different - still waiting for Robbie Williams to decide to act - I think he would be good - he's got the personality for it!!!

Posted on 19 Jul 2012 09:23:44 BDT
Also, is there anyone out there that was a fan of Footballer's Wives? It was so bad it was good - if you know what I mean, it was like a British version of Dallas in a way - well you can get most of the series on dvd - but it is pretty expensive and you can't seem to get hold of the last series. There was definitely a series 5 and it does not seem to be available - no idea why.

Posted on 26 Jul 2012 20:21:07 BDT
Ghost Squad in the 60's!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the television discussion forum (636 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  931
Total posts:  1776
Initial post:  17 Oct 2008
Latest post:  14 Nov 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 87 customers

Search Customer Discussions