Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

Buying region 1 from the USA

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 125 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2012 12:50:38 BDT
Ronda says:
No there was no great bill. Just the exchange rate and a small charge from my credit card.

Posted on 5 Nov 2012 16:29:42 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 5 Nov 2012 16:31:20 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2012 16:57:51 GMT
Jeff kinzie says:
No bill at all here in Canada

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2012 18:20:59 GMT
Krytee says:
Importing the odd disc from the USA will not be a problem. The problem of import VAT arises when you start spending above £15.00. You might get away with paying this duty on the odd occasion but to be honest, its best just to order the discs one at a time and make sure they are sent in separate packages and not bundled together. The sender has to legally declare what is inside the package with a clear label attached, so beware!. I have imported many discs from the US over the years and never been liable to import VAT because I made sure the value of the goods never exceeded the limit at that particular time.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Nov 2012 14:47:50 GMT
P. Stark says:
I've just recently started ordering from amazon.com directly and choosing one of the 2 faster delivery options. This includes an import fees deposit at checkout. No problems thus far.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Nov 2012 15:53:02 GMT
I. E. THOMAS says:
Its much cheaper to order via Amazon UK from Market place sellers such as All Your Music who despatch from UK via Royal Mail so there is no Duty to pay and Postage is only just over £1 . If you order direct from Amazon USA the postage costs are much higher!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Nov 2012 21:30:58 GMT
P. Stark says:
Yes I see your point.

I do order from All Your Music but cannot find every item I'd like from them. It is always good to shop around.

Do remember that a 100% successful record with items from the states is impossible.

Also some companies do ship from a UK location to the customer but returns are difficult in my experience.

It depends what you are looking for.

I tend to use all your music, RAREWAVES USA, zoverstocks (new and used), moviemars-usa and/or supermart_usa.

I always check xe.com (currency converter) as well. A lot of items ARE cheaper from amazon.com in 2012!

Do the research and you'll see it does happen!

Also do not discount amazon marketplace at other international sites. So far I've used the French, German and Canadian amazon sites as well as the UK & USA.

Few problems in the past 8 years.

Posted on 8 Nov 2012 22:00:48 GMT
A. Deacon says:
I use all those stores you mentioned. Never had a problem with any of those stores. They have all been great and the items in excellent condition. I use them all on Amazon's USA site as well. I would just like to add another great seller who I buy from who stocks rare DVDs- DaaVeeDee-uk. Always excellent service.

Posted on 26 Dec 2012 13:16:38 GMT
Last edited by the author on 26 Dec 2012 13:19:26 GMT
Joey says:
Does anyone know if you get charged the eight pounds import duty & VAT applied on EACH individual item enclosed in a package if you got a few DVD Box sets together from the same seller in the USA in the one order....

...or would you just get get the ONE Import Duty charge of eight pounds plus VAT applied overall on your parcel....?

Posted on 26 Dec 2012 15:41:41 GMT
Mr W says:
You only get one parcel handling fee applied per order over £15, so assuming your order comes in one box eg: from amazon .com then you will get hit for the £8 fee plus vat. Be warned though, once the parcel reaches this end it's at the post offices discretion who delivers it.
I say this because my last order from Amazon US was 20 items and was delivered by Parcelfarce so I was stung with a £12 handling fee plus the vat. Although if you order from Amazon US and use expedited int shipping you pay the fees in advance. It's called a custom fees deposit (this can be hefty) but it means that you won't be hit by any fees this end as they're usually delivered by UPS.

I hope this helps you.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Dec 2012 13:51:02 GMT
Joey says:
many thanks !

Posted on 11 Aug 2014 12:12:31 BDT
philippa says:
I bought I skateboard from amazon.com usa and paid twice the value! as it was 60$ for board and 70$ for postage !!will I have to pay MORE charges? and its 3 days late as its in customs clearance !! how long should customs uk take before I receive the parcel?
very frustrated as it says on usps website its in scotland only 2 hours away! from our home address can any one help out with this to find the answers Please

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Aug 2014 19:31:38 BDT
Not if you payed for expedited shipping was it from amazon itself or a seller on amazon?

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Aug 2014 21:06:26 BDT
philippa says:
I paid expedited shipping and when the parcel arrived from the company selling on amazon.com I paid 22.33 taxes on top so a skateboard cost me in total 133 pounds! inc shipping and uk taxes and handing costs!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Aug 2014 21:08:24 BDT
philippa says:
well I paid 181 dollars then 22.33 pounds before it could be delivered!

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Sep 2014 19:57:18 BDT
Mr. B. White says:
I had to pay twelve pounds for the priviledge of collecting my parcel

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Sep 2014 20:03:44 BDT
Mr. B. White says:
not any more I did enquire about "gifts" from customs and was told that even "gifts" had to have the value on them and were subject to customs import duty

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Sep 2014 20:10:21 BDT
Mr. B. White says:
come come now don't you know the british customs and government are very greedy in fact the greediest in the world would love to buy the series ..the naked city ...only available in America but I cant because I would be shafted by the customs and the british post office expect you to pay them twelve pounds as well for the priviledge of collecting the customs money from you I used to have a cousin who lived in the states ....now retired and back in England and anything I wanted she would buy for me and her son would bring back for me when he went there on holiday and no customs charges but alas now those days are gone so I cannot buy anything like box sets from the states now

Posted on 12 Sep 2014 20:18:19 BDT
Mr. B. White says:
I got stung by customs a couple of years ago bought a tyrone power box set from the u.s had no idea about customs and the £18 or under thing and when it arrived (well was handed a card from the postman about collection and I had to pay customs and £12 to the post office for the pleasure of collecting it from their depot and having to pay them the customs charge with the cost of the set it cost me well over £80 never again I learnt my lesson customs yes but on such simple things as dvds or cds no just shows you what a greedy country England is anything to rip off the public I think all import customs duty on such things should be scrapped only chance I have of buying anything like this is if someone has been to the states and brought dvds back and after watching selling them on ebay on bidding have won a few like that

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Sep 2014 20:25:08 BDT
Mr. B. White says:
sadly the british customs have caught onto that and you have to pay import charges on gifts now you never used to just another moneymaking scam from the greedy british had a cousin living in California now retired back to England who used to buy for me box sets etc and her son would bring them back with him when he went on holiday and no customs charges but not anymore sadly

Posted on 12 Sep 2014 23:47:43 BDT
Mr W says:
Here's a URL for the import fees deposit scheme on Amazon US.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117970

The Gist is that you pay any vat etc in advance to Amazon which is paid to UK customs on arrival in the UK , avoiding a scenario where the vat due could be as little as £3 but Royal fail charge £8-£12 "handling fee" on top.

Posted on 24 Sep 2014 12:01:13 BDT
Only been charged once, and that was because I made the mistake of ordering 2 DVD boxed sets together which were new releases and totalled over £50 - I now look for mostly cheaper items and leave a gap between orders from the same seller to try and avoid this happening again - I suspect that sheer logistics mean that only obviously large parcels or random "culling" mean it's a bit like Russian Roulette with VAT as an added side dish! Have to say our local Royal Mail collection office staff are usually very nice and the chap I saw was most apologetic even though he was literally only doing his job collecting the required charge and giving me the packet in exchange - he seemed quite relieved that I accepted it as a trial and error situation, plus however miffed you are with it, it is all part of the law of the land and we all seem to be stuck with it, whether we're the customer, or the poor guy behind the counter

Posted on 14 Oct 2014 21:31:40 BDT
John Gammon says:
I recently bought a TV boxset from Amazon.com under the (it turned out) mistaken impression the run time was longer as it said in the Amazon webpage. But the price was good and I wasn't charged any extra than the tax estimate you have to pay. The boxset was delivered in excellent condition. The only upset was that there are flaws in a couple of the discs, but I doubt whether sending the whole thing back would get me a better replacement.

Posted on 21 Feb 2015 19:47:29 GMT
 says:
Order DVDs from the USA every month for the last two years, including box-sets [the price of which ought to mean import duties are levied] but have yet to receive a demand. I take care never to order more than one item from a supplier at a time.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2015 22:30:07 GMT
Greg Chapman says:
My buys (there are quite a few by now) from america have all been easy with no hitches or excessive taxes. It depends on how much you spend, obviously, but the limits change all the time and Royal Mail charges change regularly so it is best to ask first before ordering.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the television discussion forum (637 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  69
Total posts:  125
Initial post:  20 Feb 2011
Latest post:  15 Mar 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 19 customers

Search Customer Discussions