Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

Buying region 1 from the USA

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 121 posts in this discussion
Posted on 15 Mar 2011 12:30:52 GMT
david says:
the dvd boxset i ordered arrived in the post this morning and thankfully there was no extra charge to pay , everyone here who said so , a big pat on the back .

Posted on 16 Mar 2011 07:55:24 GMT
D. Lench says:
i don't think there should be any import charges as if we don't pay enough in everything else

but i've imported quite a few things in the past and even from the u.s.a. and i've thankfully never had a charge

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Mar 2011 08:21:39 GMT
To D. LENCH

I do not know your gender so cannot address you correctly.

I prefer to purchase through the UK Amazon site even though there's no parity to the Australian Dollar. For one thing they do not charge VAT [ their GST ] on items and on one occasion I was able to purchase the third Die Hard movie NEW for 95 pence. Even with the UK postage I was miles ahead.

On the other hand I had occasion to purchase an audio cassette cleaner from the USA. The cleaner was $5.00 and the postage and handling $45.00. On the basis of that and other high priced items purchased through Amazon US I suggest no one buy thorough that site until the horrendous and exhorbitant postage charges are sorted out in a more balanced way. This is not a criminal action on my part just a suggestion for fairness.

If I see petrol for sale for sale at $1.70 a litre at one station and at another it's $1.40 I commit no crime if I tell my friends to go to the station that is selling for $1.40. In a free market finding the best price is our right.

Posted on 16 Mar 2011 09:39:11 GMT
pb752 says:
My experience in all this is that I have had to pay the customs charge on a few occasions on some items (but not all) which cost over £18 which have been sent from the USA to the UK. I've also bought quite a lot of dvds and cds from Germany, Sweden, Finland and Australia but have never had to pay the charge once on items sent from these countries even though many cost more than £18.
I feel that having to pay an extra £12 on an item that only has a value of say £18.50 is very unfair and I try wherever possible now to only buy items from the USA that are less than £18.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Mar 2011 18:54:24 GMT
D. Lench says:
that's beyond a joke that $45.00 charge, how the hell can they get away with those sort of charges

when i import DVDs from the u.s.a. i however always buy from amazon.co.uk site
but what i don't get is how come they don't charge any handling fee from the UK site but from the American site they do

it still coming from the US

maybe it might be best to import from china then or maybe separate orders from America that is under the certain value that they will charge you a fee from

no wonder piracy is thriving in some parts of the world

Posted on 21 Mar 2011 01:24:39 GMT
Personally although I live in California I buy Region 2 DVDs from British websites as often as possible because the prices are one half to one fourth as high as American prices, and I also like to collect British television shows that aren't available in Region 1. It's terrible that you folks have to pay extra charges for items sent from the U.S. I wonder if it wouldn't be better to cultivate an American friend and have them buy things for you and ship them over privately? I haven't looked into shipping charges from the U.S. to the U.K. lately but it might save you a lot of money. I mean, if I were to send you a DVD as a "gift" from me to you, would you have to pay charges on it?

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2011 01:36:27 GMT
I once got a pat on the back. I was milking a cow at the time.

Posted on 21 Mar 2011 17:17:36 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Mar 2011 17:27:11 GMT
Bazz says:
You will know if you are going to get stung by this official scam because the postman will deliver a grey/silver delivery card to you not the goods (stating they you must collect and pay the customs duties) No mention of their handling charges. On arrival at the place of collection I asked for a breakdown of the charges but before they would tell me I had to pay the money up front so wether I agreed with them I had already paid. Examing the so called breakdown they work it out as follows, customs duties etc (flat fee based on value added on) then any excise duties again added on and then thier handling charges resulting in what could be a hefty sub total the 20% VAT calculated on the total so far pushing their already high total by 20%. There are two way around this keep everthing under £18.00 or go for broke and order several items at once and ask them send in one parcel (that way you only pay one handling charge and overall it may work out cheaper but this is not guaranteed it depends on the overall value before charges added. UK to US thier is no direct VAT equivalent in the US though you may get some other form of tax applied. Within the EEC countries there are no customs duties applied between them and Vat is charged at dispatch on the going rate of the orginating country so purchasing from france or germany the price you see is what you pay plus any postage

In my case a CD cost £19.00 plus 3.50 Customs duties plus £8.00 post office handling charges then to the total of £30.50 was added 20% vat(6.10) making a grand total of 36.60almost double the value of the CD hate this rip off with a passion. the post office charge is for replacing it back in the distribution chain after the border agency (customs) have selected it. The customs may not even examine it just select it so the post are really taking the P***

Posted on 25 Mar 2011 16:58:29 GMT
P. Munn says:
Probably shouldnt put this on amazon but I buy a lot of region 1 and never from PlayUSA or amazon marketplace because I always got hit with the fees. I use axelmusic.com they charge a bit more, but delivery is really fast and you're guaranteed to never get hit with fees as they pay it all

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2011 04:22:21 BDT
P. Stark says:
£8 you are lucky!!

Parcelforce (Royal mail is its parent company) pay the clearance fees. On mine this averages £18.00 not £8.00 on top of any duties/VAT they may have paid for me. Add to that they may not always deliver. Royal Mail does it for then in many cases!! Take into account the long delays and you're pretty much wasting your efforts. Try ordering from Australia (region 4) as I have only had three (larger) Australian packages stopped at customs in eight years. Have I been lucky or is this a Commonwealth thing??

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2011 04:32:27 BDT
P. Stark says:
Gifts are not exempt!

Double the value though last time I checked £36.00 was the limit for a gift. This was 2 years ago. No idea about 2011.

The gift and sample boxes come in handy for goods sent from the USA - these mostly get through to me provided they are not in huge parcels/boxes. The lighter the weight and lower the declared value in local currency (not pounds) the greater the chance of avoiding fees at this end. Sellers are are probably not meant to but some have described the contents as 'Optical Media at USD$5.00 per item.

Posted on 28 Mar 2011 10:51:36 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Mar 2011 10:52:18 BDT
Reviewer says:
The biggest "crime" in this (though it's a perfectly legal thing the Royal Mail is doing) is this:

Where is the Royal Mail's sorting office for incoming overseas mail? MOUNT PLEASANT SORTING OFFICE, London.

Where is the Customs & Excise office they submit parcels to? MOUNT PLEASANT SORTING OFFICE, London.

So they charge the customer £8 to submit their parcel to the Customs office in the same building!

Moral: Keep your orders under the £18 (excl. carriage) limit whenever possible.

Posted on 28 Mar 2011 10:54:01 BDT
Reviewer says:
... Double post

Posted on 28 Mar 2011 21:47:10 BDT
D. Lench says:
it's activities like this by the royal mail and customs ridiculous charges
that could easily encourage people getting pirated copies of the DVDS

Posted on 28 Mar 2011 23:25:08 BDT
I live in Spain and have bot hundreds of DVDs and (formerly) VHS from the US (and even more from Amazon UK) and have never paid a penny of import duties. Whatta ripoff on the part of UK Customs... I couldn't believe this when I saw it!

Posted on 29 Mar 2011 11:18:19 BDT
johng says:
The postal charge is to reflect on the fact that it is a PO dept who do the work on behalf of Customs not merely a delivery charge. Most packages I get over £18 come through without ant charges being made and I am led to believe that owing to the vast amount of mail not all incoming mail is stopped and checked. You are therefore either lucky or unlucky.
If you purchase from some of the bigger Americam firms they seem to have depots either in this country or in Germany and you invariably find that your package does not actually come from the States but has been posted from somewhere in the EU.

Of all the imports i have had from America I have o0nly been chatged once for VAT and by the PO. You take your chance.

Many DVDs are not available in this country in region 2 format and you may therfore have no alternativ other than to import.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2011 14:04:26 BDT
R. M. Vinci says:
It's hit and miss as it's arbitrarily applied. Parcel Farce tells me they get 50,000 packages a day - too, hard to catch them all. It's a minority of packages for me that get nabbed and taxes, but it's usually around £20 ransom to get your package when and if tagged.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2011 20:19:10 BDT
D. Lench says:
It's a pity you can't download the DVDS instead and then you wouldn't get a custom charge

i'm sure it could be done, maybe there should be an option of either receiving the DVDS or downloading them in an iso format

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2011 23:49:15 BDT
P. Stark says:
To D. Lench. SERIOUSLY!!! With the low speeds available in certain parts of the country would it really be worth it?? I can't imagine waiting hour after hour for something I may not even need to download with my movie or episode. Until we all have truly unlimited broadband/internet (or usage) your ISP would frown upon such large and time consuming downloads if you had plans to build up a large collection.

Who knows what I'll do when the time comes that physical media has ceased to be used, but for now I'm fine buying discs. At least I know what I'm getting and usually when to expect it. I don't have all day to leave a PC running. People do have other places to be. Put the movie in play it and your done. Perhaps rent it, watch it and send it back (if you have little interest in building a collection).

Technology seems to be changing too fast for those of us on limited incomes to keap up.

You had a nice idea about the iso files but let's be honest the licencee in your territory would probably have a fit! There'd have to be some way to protect their investment.

Apologies for the rant but I really hate modern 21st century home entertainment technology (remember DVD is so last century) and the pace at which it moves forward!!

Posted on 30 Mar 2011 20:17:52 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 15 Feb 2012 07:32:55 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2011 00:00:19 BDT
Now I am certain that "Mrs. Donna E. Bendle" is a spammer as "she" is posting this same message to several different of these discussion threads. "She" should be blocked or banned.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2011 12:09:43 BDT
Reviewer says:
I would think "Donna"'s post counts as at least inappropriate to the discussion and would merit using the "Report abuse" button. If a number of people report it, Amazon should hopefully investigate and take appropriate action.

Posted on 2 Apr 2011 19:05:12 BDT
E. Richards says:
One loophole is to ask the US sender to declare the item as a gift on the front of the package.

Posted on 2 Apr 2011 19:12:56 BDT
E. Richards says:
I liked that little joke of yours,R.E.D. I once attended a rugby match between Wales and France and France won the match. After the game a Frenchman came up to me and,as is the French custom, he kissed me on both cheeks. I wouldn't mind, but I was bending over doing up my shoelaces at the time.

Posted on 2 Apr 2011 19:15:42 BDT
E. Richards says:
There was another time when I joined a naturist colony. I joined in all the games except leapfrog.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  65
Total posts:  121
Initial post:  20 Feb 2011
Latest post:  6 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions