Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

British should run documentaries showing that neuroplasticity (not genes) causes homosexuality--does British TV already do this?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 449 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 26 Aug 2011 16:07:20 BDT
Evidence?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2011 17:08:10 BDT
qashqai 57 says:
No evidence offered m'lud.

Posted on 30 Aug 2011 12:49:06 BDT
Ian Langford says:
Homophobia is widely recognised as an early symptom of being 'in the closet'. The condition generally occurs in people who are raised to believe that being gay is somehow wrong. God made us in 'His' own image; which infers that God made people's sexuality too. If God made you, then He ain't got a problem with you.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Aug 2011 12:09:36 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 19 Jan 2013 10:55:42 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Aug 2011 15:45:22 BDT
ROFLMAO !!

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Aug 2011 17:51:50 BDT
qashqai 57 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 16 Sep 2011 16:10:34 BDT
Man of truth says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 17 Sep 2011 00:02:52 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Sep 2011 09:45:59 BDT
romanticynic says:
I'm with "The Judge". ROFLMAO!! Addlebrained, loudmouthed bigots are some of the funniest people. And they don't even mean to be! Now that's comedy.

Reality check, people. Despite what different groups choose to believe, science has not yet conclusively proven whether homosexuality is caused by heredity, very early environmental factors, the will of God or a bit of all three. There isn't even any proof that it has a cause. Maybe it's just blind luck. Research does seem to be pointing to a genetic cause, but no one has found the "gay gene" yet. All science has proven is that it's NOT a mental disorder. If you don't believe that, go argue with the American Psychological Association, Page & Tilbury. Just don't get too over excited when they say everything you believe is wrong. If you start screaming and yelling nonsense, you'll get locked up as a danger to yourselves and others until you can be cured. Snicker, chuckle, giggle, chortle. Like I said, bigots are funny.

All that I'm sure of is: gays (and lesbians and bisexuals) aren't insane but bigots are, I'm gay but didn't choose to be, I'm just as capable as anyone of feeling both lust AND love, God loves us all far too much to care about our sexual orientation, the world would be a better place if we all tried a bit harder to be nice to each other, and the bible got it exactly right with that bit about removing the wooden beam from your own eye before trying to remove a speck from another's eye. Apparently Jesus didn't like hypocrites when they were doing their thing. Maybe that's what God means by love the sinner, not the sin.

Posted on 17 Sep 2011 00:46:12 BDT
Dariush says:
There is no such thing as gay or straight, religion or science, or even the internet. Everything is an illusion. Genghis Khan.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Sep 2011 01:13:01 BDT
romanticynic says:
Really, Dariush? I didn't even know that Genghis Kahn was a Buddhist. I thought he was just into killing people for fun and profit. But you might have a point there. I've met quite a few people that didn't seem to recognize any difference between gay and straight after one or two 6-packs of beer. And I have faith in science as well as God. (I just don't capitalize science. It's not anyone's name.)

Posted on 17 Sep 2011 18:50:02 BDT
Tam Riley says:
Cherry-picking as per usual from the religious. If you expect to be taken seriously on this topic you can't inflate the evidence that supports your view and ignore the mountainous pile of evidence that doesn't. As for those Christians who say they 'disapprove' of such behaviour I'm afraid the fairy-land where you are the moral arbiters, and gays cower and scuttle around looking for your approval is long gone, if it ever existed at all. Astonishing as it may seem, most Brits don't take their views on homosexuality from a book written by people who hadn't even managed to figure out the value of pi. However, if you're going to claim that it's a sin based on scripture then you're also going to have to explain why you(presumably, although in the case of some of the more unhinged posters here perhaps not) don't support the execution of adulterers, or parentally unappreciative children, both of which pop up in the good book only to get offed. If you don't support either of these things then you're guilty of cherry-picking your morality and your argument for the sinfulness of homosexuality is rendered worthless.
As for the documentary, I imagine the reason it hasn't been shown here is due to the supreme pointlessness of scheduling something so limited and which flies in the face of the vast majority of the evidence on this subject. The only people clamouring for it to appear on tv will be spittle-flecked cherry-pickers like ms Page and mr Tilbury whose drearily repellent views are becoming more and more marginalised in today's society.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2011 20:08:26 BDT
Lesley West says:
Well said - I feel the same about my disability. All I can say is, if it offends anybody, tough!! Live your life, be yourself, and don't make excuses for it. You are what you are, be proud of yourself, how you live your life has absolutely nothing to do with anybody else. As for myself, I didn't ask to be born with a defect, but people are so intolerant you'd think I did just to get on their nerves!! Bigoted fools, all of them!!

Posted on 20 Sep 2011 14:11:01 BDT
After carefully reading all of these comments stating different views over my lunch hour today it is clear to me that nobody is going to change their opinions on a discussion/message board for Amazon! There are always going to be people who believe that homosexuality, bisexuality or gender re-assignment and such like, is wrong or sinful or an abomination etc. Likewise there are always going to be people who are against this way of thinking. My friends this is Human Nature - to 'go to war' against each other to establish that what we think is just, right and correct. If you truly feel strongly about something then go on the marches, shout from the roof tops and proclaim your beliefs to the universe - but don't expect anyone to change their opinion just because you think they should. Everyone should be entitled to believe what they want as long as they refrain from browbeating others into their way of thinking.

That being said i think you all should check out this link to a page which made me giggle.
It will take you to a letter to an outspoken american talk radio host and relates very much to this conversation - 'Dr Laura Schlessinger' describes Homosexuality as an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22 and recieves a very well researched response.

http://serafemme.ning.com/forum/topics/homosexuality-is-an

Thank you for reading - a christian friend of the l,g,b,t community

Posted on 20 Sep 2011 15:20:36 BDT
Okay - I never comment in these forums as it is usally a waste of time but COME ON PEOPLE!! This is the 21st Century, not the 15th!!!!

As a happy straight man with plenty of gay friends I see it this way....

All the LGBT Community want is to be themselves without fear of reprisal, just like us heterosexuals.If we are going to boil it down to genetics, the molocules that make up deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA for the non scientists out there) are GATC. We all have them in our system, whether it be Muslim, Christian, Gay, Straight, black or white. We all bleed red blood, we all have two eyes, one nose, one pair of hands and one life.

Why do we spend that one life hating, how about as Human Beings (not Americans, English, French we are all HUMAN BEINGS) we start putting the energy we put into hate into something worthwhile, like community. How about we make the world a better place for everyone, not just one type of person.

As the song in D'ffrent Strokes said, 'what might be right for you, is not right for some'. And I know three gay people who actually claim it to be a choice, one was married until he decided he wanted to be gay, so like everythiong in the universe, our fate is not set we decide it for ourselves....

So lets stop the fussing and fueding right here and set upon a plan to lead the world from hate into community. Become one planet, one species, who knows what we could achieve if the energy we put into hate could be channeled into community.
All it takes to do this is a small group of people, how about this forum be the first, who cares if you are gay.

Lets have more of this - 'So you are (Gay/Black/Muslim/Christian(delete as appropriate))You have an idea on how to make fuel burn cleaner, lets hear it!' and less of 'You are (insert same choices), so you are evil and an affront to the (deity/belief structure).'

I think Bill and Ted said it best - BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER.

Posted on 23 Sep 2011 02:20:25 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 23 Sep 2011 02:23:28 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2011 17:57:47 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 Sep 2011 14:58:04 BDT
Modzilla says:
You'll also find that Leviticus holds an extremely dim view of the wearing of clothes made from mixed fibres as well, so any of you wearing easy-iron shirts - You're all doomed!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2011 11:24:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 Sep 2011 11:29:14 BDT
R. Erickson says:
@ Tilbury: I certainly respect your right to discriminate, hate, and stay ignorant.

Posted on 26 Sep 2011 15:11:44 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 Sep 2011 15:29:06 BDT
The the ones who think homosexuality (and I suppose also asexuality) isn't natural and it's against the evolution, because our main purpose is to pass on our genes: In fact, it's healthy for population, that not all of us make babies, because the species would die of overpopulation. There has always been hermits, monks, nuns, people who don't want children or prefer the company of their own sex. Variety is the thing that fuels evolution, not similarity.

Anyway, it is very unhealthy to occupy one's mind with other people's sexuality. Why should we regulate what adult people do with each other voluntarily? What is right for me, isn't right for everybody. It's only the fundamentalists, who think, that their values and ways of living should be forced on others.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Oct 2011 13:46:01 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 19 Jan 2013 10:53:59 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Oct 2011 15:48:50 BDT
Villa Girl says:
Ms Page. You are mentally deranged. I am simply shocked that there are people like you around still. Your comments about 'curing' people are ignorant and belong in the eighteen / nineteenth century!!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Oct 2011 21:19:15 BDT
Modzilla says:
@Ms. Page
Oh dear, just as ready to insult others as ever - not especially Christian is it ? Why can't you take a leaf from J.C. Millican's book ?
It seems scientists are expected to prove 'beyond all doubt' what they contend with hard evidence (and so they should), yet a large number of those with a religious bent demand that others accept their beliefs as irrefutable truth without evidence of any sort. I might add that both bestiality and paedophilia involve unwilling victims - consensual homosexuality does not.
I would also suggest that you look up overwhelming, bestiality, paedophile and whose in a dictionary before bandying them about then you might spell them properly.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Oct 2011 23:53:29 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 19 Jan 2013 10:53:05 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2011 13:35:18 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Oct 2011 12:42:08 BDT
Modzilla says:
@Ms Page
Please forgive me if I have misjudged your motivation. However
if you take the time to read them again, I think you'll find that your first two postings on this thread were awash with offensive terms and in your last one you used the phrase 'intellectual morons' which is far from complimentary. My point in all this is that it is not compulsory to throw abuse at those you disagree with. On the contrary, it does little to further reasoned debate and is often used as a tactic by those such as the pundits on FOX News and followers of the Tea Party in the U.S. to stifle it in the absence of a logical argument. With regards to Tatchell (Mugabe baiting aside), I have little time for him since statements such as the one you quoted do no-one any favours whatsoever; least of all children and for that matter, his fellow homosexuals.
I'll apologise for picking on your spelling mistakes - we all make them once in a while and normally I wouldn't dream of being so childish or rude but following the tone of your comments I sadly couldn't help myself.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2011 15:17:22 BDT
Villa Girl says:
@Ms Page I've contributed about as much as you have!! I work in a school and the kids I teach don't come out with offensive homophobic rubbish like you have. I only replied because I get alerts on my phone and I just find myself unable to allow the rubbish you spout to go unanswered. However, I am getting bored of this now. You spout rubbish and I and other sane people allow ourselves to get wound up. You are really not worth it. Goodbye

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2011 17:19:55 BDT
qashqai 57 says:
Good for you villa girl, you tell em.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the television discussion forum (643 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  132
Total posts:  449
Initial post:  13 Jul 2011
Latest post:  2 Apr 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions