Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

availability of reg 2/ reg free blurays

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Jun 2012 10:59:02 BDT
M. Bridgeman says:
Many a time I have wanted to buy a bluray version of a dvd I already own, only to find it is available . . . . only in America. Classics such as Carrie, Last Exit to Brooklyn, The Cell plus Terminator, which will be available but not until September! Also, 3 of Neil Marshall's films are available, but not his first, Dog Soldiers. Neither is Lindsay Anderson's classic If . . , both British films, British cast, British locations etc etc with nary an American in sight, but not available over here on bluray, the country where they are set! I have been informed that 'eventually, all blurays will be region free', but hopefully before I become too old and senile to watch them! Anyone have any news/info on this please?
Your reply to M. Bridgeman's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on 25 Jul 2012 21:36:05 BDT
I've had the same problem as yourself, because Blu ray gets much better support in the US than here, and us poor relations get much of the dross mixed in with guaranteed top sellers like Star wars etc.
From experience, films out in the US but not here tend to be distributed by small firms instead of the original studio, and are generally region coded A - Schwarzenegger's The running man is one example.

generally its up to the studio themselves if they region code their discs , Warner Bros, Paramount and Universal are generally region-free, whilst some Fox released titles are coded A, Some arent. but some Fox titles released by Mill creek entertainment are region coded A - its just a lottery, so if you decide to import do your homework or you'll be stuck with an expensive coaster!

Posted on 25 Nov 2012 21:03:58 GMT
get a all region blu ray player. I got a orei, which does 3d blu ray and all blu's and dvd's from everywhere. it's not as expensive as a oppo. then your problem is solved.

Posted on 28 Nov 2012 17:51:34 GMT
The release in UK of DVD but not Bluray when it is available on bluray in USA is beyond my understanding. I can't comprehend why they wouldn't market at the best definition possible. Is it possible they want us to buy the DVD because that's all that's available and then some time in the future, release the Bluray version hoping we're dumb enough to buy it again? Having invested in 1080P equipment, I for one will never buy a DVD release when there is a bluray one across the pond - even if it is cutting off the nose to spite the face as they say!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2012 19:10:46 GMT
M. Bridgeman says:
Many thanks for your email; I am getting so fed up (polite term!) with blurays being released in the States, but not here e.g. the new Vincent D'Onoforio movie Chained, which I saw the trailer for and thought 'Yup, could go for that, only to find . . . . available in US only' I had one correspondent on this issue suggest buying a region free bluray, which is fair comment, but after forking out quite a lot for a decent bluray player, and augmenting that with an upscale-dvd player, cannot really afford to do so. And why is it, as you've probably noticed, the media etc are always banging on about bluray this and bluray that, yet half the time, the dvd to bluray transfers are US only!!! As you say, why are they not letting us have the bluray over here too? And don't get me started on bluray/dvd/digital/ultraviolet multi-packs! (And what is ultraviolet anyway?) Thanks again for your post, much appreciated!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  5 Jun 2012
Latest post:  29 Nov 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions