Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

Amazon Instant Videos

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 84 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Nov 2011 07:18:36 GMT
mosaic says:
I've noticed on the US site there's now Instant Videos available of many TV shows. I was looking for Grey's Anatomy and found ALL the episodes available free with Amazon Pride ($79 per year) so I promptly signed up for a free trial only to find that this service is not available outside the US! (so I quickly cancelled before they started charging me). There's also a free Kindle library available with this service which lets you borrow one book per month. This is something I would be VERY interested in and I think it would be well worth the annual Prime fee. Anybody has heard anything about plans to introduce this service in the UK in the near future???

Posted on 26 Dec 2011 02:10:41 GMT
James says:
Nope. Amazon own LoveFilm over here so I doubt they'll be launching two TV/Film streaming services.

Posted on 12 Jan 2012 09:55:16 GMT
Aria Covel says:
The thing is you can also buy digital copies of tv shows & films, something you cannot do with lovefilm

Posted on 23 Jan 2012 21:57:39 GMT
I agree wiith FrankieonAmaz.
I think many would want this service to come to the UK too. I'm not willing to use Netflix, Lovefilm or similar sites because I don't want a contract - I just don't watch films enough for that; I watch a film when one I want to see is released. I would love to be able to buy a digital copy of an individual film/show whenever I liked.
Please please please Amazon, consider bringing this service to the UK!!

Posted on 18 Mar 2012 13:06:37 GMT
Last edited by the author on 1 Jul 2013 03:13:45 BDT
D. Green says:
This is annoying.
Why does Amazon show the service in places where it is not available?
And, as a general point, what sense does it make for corporations to restrict trade across international boundaries?

Posted on 26 Mar 2012 02:19:18 BDT
Formby says:
I would love to buy all of my TV shows in HD from Amazon video here in the UK. I'm sure many other people would love to do that too, but it's simply not possible.
It's one of the only markets in the world that refuses to supply demand out of choice, let me spend my money!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Apr 2012 00:22:38 BDT
This kind of service falls under copyright law and such, they have all the copyright licences sorted for the USA but not the UK as it's a different licence that's why UK netflix has a smaller library than the USA netflix. Video streaming of this sort is not an international business but has to be licensed for each region.... think regions on DVDs at the moment.

Posted on 16 Apr 2012 19:03:22 BDT
this would be fantastic, i DLd from my US PS3 account, i was able to link my acount to my machine, but no purchases available outside US, we need this too, lovefilm is good but it requires a committed subsciption

Posted on 22 Apr 2012 22:53:41 BDT
dvddiamond says:
Ive just got back from America. Whilst on holiday I bought the new kindle fire. Having been reassured by the salesperson it work work in the Uk doesn't. Well not fully. Ideally I should be able to access amazon to download books, apps, Tv, Dvd, music etc... but 'Geographic restrictions ' mean none of these features can be accessed. Id gladly pay for the service. I feel cheated by Amazon!

Posted on 9 Jun 2012 10:58:35 BDT
i believe if we wanted to begin a petition it would be known as "streamlining the services" i had a go at trying to stream it over my ps3 via my US account, however when it came to billing adress asking for a US address i got a little stuck. i haven't tried streaming yet but i assume it won't work. i would love to pay for US prime for a year for the streaming, there's a better library than netflix and lovefilm combined. wish there was a loophole for the moment

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Aug 2012 19:32:18 BDT
dvddiamond, you should contact Amazon customer service about this issue. In my experience Amazon is very generous in their willingness to accept a return of a product for circumstances like this.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if Amazon launches instant video in the UK at some point ... but I'm not recommending you wait. If you feel cheated, engage Amazon customer service, see what they say.

Posted on 12 Sep 2012 18:26:48 BDT
sucks im in gutemala and i had to pay for a vpn service private tunnel. its still worth the price do to that i order alot form amazon. i save alot in shipping

Posted on 29 Sep 2012 19:49:57 BDT
TRINITY-JMF says:
RE: Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and Amazon Prime InstantVideo
Amazon have shot themselves in the foot on this one. I've just been researching tablets all day and the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 looks awesome (I wanted one)... but the 8.9 HD is US only and the Instant Video service with Amazon Prime in the US looks great, but no UK equivalent except for Love FILM as mentiond in earlier comments. In other words, the UK gets a raw deal again, with the hype about the Kindle HD really being limited to the US since we can only get the 7" not-true 1080p version and lack the content provision that US citizens get. Amazon use their own cloud services with geo-replication of offerings to 6 different 'cloud' centers around the world (our local being in Dublin) and so these services should be equally available here. However, restrictions for when you go out of country, different features in different countries, locked-down service offerings (e.g. no Android Play store as well) all lead me to be of the opinion that Amazon are playing the user lock-in game and trying to get a user base with exclusive use of their services and content and refusing to 'play well with others' or allow customers to retain a choice to get their e-services elsewhere. Frankly, any device that is essentially a computer should behave like one where the user has the capacity of freedom of choice to do with it as they wish. Since Amazon are fundamentally an Amreican company I would expect "freedom, liberty and justice for all" to be a hallmark in the offerings, but US companies these days seem to be trying their best to remove end-user freedom/choice over how they use the products they buy.

As they say on Dragon's Den: "I'm out and I won't be investing". At least I still have a consumer choice to buy or not, but Amazon have sealed it definitely in the "I won't buy" camp and if this ethos remains in future products, the same will be true.

Companies should remember, the customer is in charge. Don't tell the customer what they want - give them what they want. The whole point of a transaction is the consumer gets what they want and the seller charges for its provision.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Oct 2012 14:01:45 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Oct 2012 14:02:11 BDT
Hi,

Mr A Burton: your point is totally valid. However, the key difference is that the UK are missing the Instant Video provision of any UK licensed movies under the same arrangment as US customers. UK customers have to make a committed subscription to Love Film at what equates to a much higher cost than the Instant Video Streaming service that is part of Amazon prime in the US. Now, if Amazon made Love Film membership inclusive of the UK Amazon Prime subscription (without changing the cost) then there would be some parity between UK and US consumers in the deal offered. However, UK customers will have the Amazon Prime cost for saving on priority book delivery and a separate bill for movie streaming.

Posted on 30 Oct 2012 13:37:57 GMT
So, so annoyed. I have bought the Kindle Fire HD thinking I could download videos to watch when not connnected to WiFi.. i.e. Amazon's Instant Video, low and behold the Kindle Customer Support has said this is not possible I have to watch via Love Film.. I am so fed up of the States getting the best features,most choice etc over the UK. I am already a member of Netflix, which does nto have, yet again, anywhere the amount of videos the States does, so why would i have a subscription to Love Film as well. The only other thing I was told is i can downlaod videos etc onto my cumputer then upload to the Kindle, which kind of negates the whole purpose.. Thoroughy annoyed about this and is about time the UK public did soemthing about it..

Posted on 30 Oct 2012 18:58:51 GMT
jeanett says:
I was told by Customer service that I could download a film to my computer and then transfer it to my kindle??? I dont know where to download movies from and it seems a bit complicated when the facility is obviously there as you can "borrow" films from Lovefilms.
I feel the kindle fire hd is falsly advertised.

Posted on 31 Oct 2012 17:53:07 GMT
S. Ward says:
I would love this to be available in the uk.
as it works with computers running linux.
lovefilm netflix won't work on linux.

Posted on 1 Nov 2012 11:17:53 GMT
anamanoel says:
I was given this link to try Amazon US. http://www.shopereaders.com/USA-Visa-Credit-Card-p/visa-card-usa.htm

I don't know know if it works as I haven't tried it yet.

Posted on 16 Nov 2012 00:31:19 GMT
James says:
i have just got my new kindle fire hd and was disappointed to find out that the streaming video service for amazon prime customers is not available in the uk. i refuse to pay for the prime service which does not have full functionality and sincerely hope amazon are going to take this into account and provide a better service in the near future for its customers outside of the usa. if the movie streaming service was available it would make subscribing to it one of the easiest decisions i have made recently. AMAZON, STOP TRYING TO FOB YOUR UK CUSTOMERS OFF WITH LOVEFILM WHICH IS A FAR INFERIOR SERVICE! disappointed,and will not b paying the hefty pricetag simply for a delivery service.

Posted on 19 Nov 2012 12:37:19 GMT
I really miss this as an Amazon prime user in UK. Love film and netflix does not have a very good collection of movies. So it's not worth paying them a subscription fee. Amazon Instant Video has a very good collection of movies which is only available in USA. Please amazon, we need this service in UK. I would love to have streaming services linked to amazon prime service in UK. If you do this, you can beat Netflix.

Posted on 24 Nov 2012 01:24:03 GMT
M. S. Amer says:
I'm also really fustrated by the fact that the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" has not been released in the UK and the instant video not being available to UK Prime members.

I would be more than eager to buy the 8.9 Kindle Fire if it were available, and along with it would subscribe to Prime, LoveFilm and Amazon Cloud Player.

Unfortunately, I will probably opt for Google's Nexus 7 instead. Such a shame because I have always quite liked the Amazon brand, I have spent lots of money with Amazon and was looking forward to purchasing the Kindle Fire.

:(

Please sort it out Amazon!

Posted on 25 Nov 2012 20:56:35 GMT
the picutre is never as good as a blu ray. it's ok , I have streamed shows before. but a blu ray has much more gb's to it. and instant video is expensive. I only do it to watch a show I miss.

Posted on 29 Nov 2012 12:47:52 GMT
has anyone got a response from Amazon UK about this?

this discussion has been going on for over a year with no action from amazon, especially after launching the HD devise in the UK but not having a suitable prime addition.

IMO adding this functionality would be enough to get the market position to truelly remove the iPad from the top spot.

All devises these days are very similar, its the content that now counts....Amazon wake up and make the changes fast or its going to end up another BBplaybook situation

Posted on 28 Dec 2012 19:03:26 GMT
alonebfg says:
Can I just say I know how everyone feels but I have been talking to some people high up in both lovefilm and netflix and the issue is licensing and trying to get UK licence is a nightmare. Ie csi in usa streaming onany service not a issue in UK noone can get streaming licence. I wish the said licensing issuers would sort it out and agree but they all have been locked into itunes. And that needs to expire first.

Posted on 31 Dec 2012 12:11:52 GMT
Last edited by the author on 31 Dec 2012 12:12:53 GMT
Ben says:
I've had several email exchanges with amazon/Lovefilm about this and no one has been able to give me a date or intention for this to be rectified.

I totally agree with Marshall, in that it's the content that critical. Lovefilm only works if you're viewing in the country of your subscription and requires good bandwidth. Tablets are bought to be portable, I travel for work and frequently get stuck watching reruns of bbcworld news in hotels rooms all over the world, which gets boring after once i know the stories better than the new anchors themselves!

The Lovefilm product is flawed for this type of device on those two counts and almost all of their competitors have an alternative product that helps you get round the licensing and streaming issues... where you can purchase and download movies to the device via their relevant stores...

Amazon get this sorted! It's been a year already!!!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the television discussion forum (623 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  65
Total posts:  84
Initial post:  16 Nov 2011
Latest post:  6 May 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 27 customers

Search Customer Discussions