Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

the new Great Expectations adaptation - thoughts

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Dec 2011 17:09:56 GMT
Huck Flynn says:
in general i've been quite impressed - dickens with most of the sentimentality removed and made more relevant to the modern day. i think they should have kept the character of Biddy - almost seems pointless to leave her out. Gillian Anderson seems a bit young.

Posted on 30 Dec 2011 10:26:50 GMT
Huck Flynn says:
final episode last night was a bit disappointing in terms of an emotional climax, too disconnected and lacking the dramatic tension it deserves. Not a patch on the David Lean film.

Posted on 31 Dec 2011 07:13:13 GMT
Biff says:
Did I fall asleep? what happened to the cash Magwitch gave to Pip? good presentation,is it out on DVD?

Posted on 31 Dec 2011 21:15:39 GMT
Last edited by the author on 31 Dec 2011 21:17:23 GMT
gille liath says:
I like sentimentality and I hate 'relevance'. I don't understand why people take it upon themselves to adapt Dickens if they don't actually like what he's about. Besides, it's only about 10 years since the last 'relevant' BBC version.

You say yourself it's not a patch on the Lean version - there you are, then.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2012 14:59:05 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Jan 2012 17:24:19 GMT
Huck Flynn says:
what a sentimental and irrelevant post Gille :-)
i think the adaptation showed respect but didn't go the extra mile.
@Biffo - yet strangely unresolved that - i presumed the bailiffs got it all. Dickens wrote 2 endings and it appears BBC favoured the happier one. i thought estella lacked the conventional or idealised "beauty" i expected.

Posted on 3 Jan 2012 16:02:42 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Jan 2012 16:03:27 GMT
I'll be interested to see what the BBC make of Edwin Drood when it starts next week. Going solely on the trailers, and the fact it's been tucked away on Tuesday evenings on BBC 2, may not bode well. Regarding Great Expectations, I don't know why the BBC feels the need to revisit the same Dickens novels again and again. It would be understandable if they were better than their previous versions, but more often than not, that isn't the case.

Posted on 3 Jan 2012 16:39:47 GMT
LindaS says:
I thought the new 'Great Expectations' was excellent. It had me thoroughly engrossed despite the fact that I know the story. I immediately wanted to watch it again! I must admit I too noticed there was no explanation about the money though: back to the book to remind myself, I suppose.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2012 17:30:19 GMT
Huck Flynn says:
yes, the unfinished Drood overdue, crying out for an ending. As a big fan of Dickens' later dark works it has all the best ingredients. Bleak House really set the bar very high - both the Diana Rigg version and the more recent TV adaptation but i think Great Expectations still strikes a chord in a society fascinated by fortune hunters, social parasites and get rich quick stories.

Posted on 3 Jan 2012 18:52:08 GMT
Found it poor, diss connected, and so slow

Posted on 3 Jan 2012 20:33:28 GMT
First episode worked - re-created the atmosphere of the Lean film for me. Sadly from then on it was a disappointment. The young Pip was great, as was Ray Winstone as Magwitch and David Suchet as Jaggers. But the adult Pip - he was prettier than Estella!! and wanted Gillian Anderson to work as Miss Haversham - but too young - despite heavy white make-up and added crustiness. Look forward though to seeing what they make of Edwin Drood.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jan 2012 09:35:15 GMT
Huck Flynn says:
i agree with your comments. miss havisham was better looking than estella. jaggers housekeeper was also a disappointment and Wemmick was under played - i suppose time constraints. I'd love to see them tackling Pickwick Papers again.

Posted on 7 Jan 2012 23:52:10 GMT
The trouble with memorable definitive adaptations

Posted on 10 Jan 2012 19:02:27 GMT
Agree with Huck Flynn and Mr Sheehan. Difficult to view new adaptations through fresh eyes - though I did try! And Wemmick was a disappointment - and was 'aged p' in it - I forget now. Edwin Drood tonight?!

Posted on 11 Jan 2012 16:46:45 GMT
Huck Flynn says:
Edwin Drood - enjoyed the first part - boy was it dark - dostoevsky like - was dickens an admirer of the russian?
plot seems to lack a great central "theme" like his best work

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2012 16:05:20 GMT
sistermoon says:
The actor portraying adult Pip was also in a drama based on Boy George's life and times, in the lead, and I couldn't stop thinking of him as Boy George in full makeup!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2012 10:53:47 GMT
Last edited by the author on 24 Jan 2012 10:54:35 GMT
SmithsFan says:
The "happier" ending is usually considered the standard one, though over the years it's been criticised it as a populist cop-out.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the television discussion forum (633 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  29 Dec 2011
Latest post:  24 Jan 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions