Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

"INHERITANCE" by Phyllis Bentley

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Jun 2009 21:44:14 BDT
ken says:
"INHERITANCE" starring James Bolam, John Thaw.
Brilliant series produced and shown on Granada Television.
Epic story of a West Riding mill family spanning the period from the Luddite riots of 1812 to the death of Sir Winston Churchill in 1965. Granada Television Network production. ITV tx 1967/09/29-1967/12/01 (Fri) [10 x 1 hour]
Director Howard BAKER.
Production Company Granada Television Productions
Producer Howard BAKER.
Script Geoffrey LANCASHIRE.
Adapted from the novels of Phyllis BENTLEY.
Designer Alan PRICE.
Transmission Company Granada Television

Posted on 9 Jun 2009 14:47:25 BDT
Mr. K. Cook says:
are there any copies to buy anywhere of this tv series ?

Posted on 9 Jun 2009 14:47:27 BDT
Mr. K. Cook says:
are there any copies to buy anywhere of this tv series ?

Posted on 25 Jul 2009 15:23:32 BDT
I well remember the wonderful acting in this series. Best television in its day.
Is it possible to get a DVD?
R Walters

Posted on 26 Jul 2009 21:20:50 BDT
A. Handslip says:
how do we get to see this brilliant adaptation again, I watched it as a child and loved every episode and would dearly love to watch it again, was it in black and white? and is this the reason why it has not been rerun or put out on DVD, I know it was James Brolin's first drama after he finished filming the likely lads. please please tell me who we need to contact to get this released.

Posted on 28 Jul 2009 12:23:48 BDT
Bella Wilson says:
I remember this series well. I am originally from Dorset so when I first came to live in the north the textile business was completely incomprenhesible and the series helped me understand quite a lot. It also made me research the history of the business and talk to people who had been associated with the mills. I still enjoy hearing about them.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jul 2011 16:52:36 BDT
Not as yet. It exists fully in the ITV archive. It's now up to pressure groups to write to Network - their commercial wing and ask them to start the process

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jul 2011 16:52:54 BDT
Not as yet. It exists fully in the ITV archive. It's now up to pressure groups to write to Network - their commercial wing and ask them to start the process

Posted on 9 Jul 2012 20:00:04 BDT
S. Finch says:
Are you certain if exists in full in the ITV archive. TV companies seem to have scrapped a lot of classic TV series that people would love to see again while churning out reality TV & 'talent' series by the dozen.

Posted on 14 Apr 2013 16:30:54 BDT
I agree with S Finch, it's about time that reality shows were given the push!! The powers to be say they can't put on more types of programmes, like this,because of the expense but they have so much in archive that they could keep people like me ( who have taste!) entertained for life.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2013 19:41:16 BDT
Eii Mii says:
This was really a brilliant programme. Would love to have it on a DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jun 2013 21:59:54 BDT
I would dearly love to see this again...watched it as a child with my beloved Dad, the book is an old favourite, read+ reread many times. If only there was some way of getting this....!

Posted on 16 Jun 2013 10:29:07 BDT
eoinrob says:
My Mother and I used to watch this every Monday night,it would be great if it was released on DVD.

Posted on 17 Jun 2013 09:06:29 BDT
After watching Granadaland on TV recently, with Peter Kay as presenter,I was disappointed that no reference was made to Inheritance-a classic historical drama series- which I thoroughly enjoyed as a teenager.A DVD would be very welcome.Also can anybody remember a children's drama of the 1970's filmed on location in a village on the Solway Firth- I think it was called The Intruder or something similar? Have searched Youtube for a clip but to no avail !

Posted on 16 Oct 2013 08:22:07 BDT
carol palmer says:
I watched this as a young woman and was completely engrossed in each episode. This was my first real encounter with the brilliance of a John Thaw and James Bolam which has stayed with me to this day. I too would love to watch the series again or purchase them on DVD if this were possible. We have so much rubbish on TV these days seems so unfair that a series like this is in some archive just waiting to be viewed! Carol

Posted on 24 Apr 2014 10:35:33 BDT
I have tried to obtain information of this series over many years and have always met with a stone wall of silence.Network does not reply to e-mails but it would be nice to know why we cannot see this series again. It was brilliant

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Apr 2014 12:49:08 BDT
J. May says:
i remember as a little girl the film crew and actors all turning up to our village on one coach to do some filming on the old cobbled streets. I went on the coach for everyones autograph, not realising at the time that I was sat next to two fine actors, John Thaw and James Bolam.

Posted on 14 Sep 2014 18:48:18 BDT
Joanna says:
Joanna
Like so many of you on this discussion board I watched it as a teenager and would love
to see it again or on DVD which I believe is not available its a shame that our TV is flooded with reality shows while great drama is rotting somewhere in the Granada Archives there was a very similar production about the same time if anyone
can remember it The Crowthers of Bankdam

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Oct 2014 00:20:36 GMT
R. Madge says:
I too watched this as a teenager. It helped me understand the industrial revolution and the development of our northern towns and cities. Loved John Thaw and James Bolam of course and have read the book twice since. The series was recommended by our history teacher - unfortunately his lessons were as dry as dust and we were made to learn the subject by rote. This series made up for all that. Please pretty please release it on DVD if the archives exist.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Nov 2014 16:49:55 GMT
Come on ITV it is time to get this series out on DVD. It was so good and it would be very popular !!
Just do it !!!

Posted on 14 Nov 2014 14:52:39 GMT
There is a DVD of The Crowthers of Bankdam, available on Amazon.
The Master Of Bankdam [DVD]

Posted on 25 Dec 2014 22:38:03 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Dec 2014 22:39:19 GMT
I remember this being filmed in my home town of Littleborough. They set up shop on a neighbouring street with camera runners, gas lamps and the like. They had trouble keeping the locals quiet and you could hear the crowd in the background on quite a few shots, the director was getting a bit tetchy. One scene I remember well was of two people having a conversation [Barehill st Littleborough] and low and behold me and two young friends [Adey barker and Dave Lockett]were in silohoutte in the background underneath a modern sodium electric street lamp. So much for the fake gas lamps that they put up.
They also filmed at a local mill called the Lydgate which was later turned into a nightclub/pub and used in the Travelling Man television series starring Leigh Lawson Twiggy's husband, where the protagonist worked as a barman. The mill was used as the mill in the Inheritance series and one scene figured a chap running from the outside cludgy as the Luddites approached.
I managed to get autographs of most of the cast [My Dad helped here] and one comely young actress helped much in this respect and also obtained a pie for me from the catering van, great times for a 7 year old I can tell you. My Dad was quite taken with this gorgeous young actress I could tell.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the television discussion forum (633 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  19
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  6 Jun 2009
Latest post:  25 Dec 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions