Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now
Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

The most frightening T.V programme

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 185 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2012 09:46:12 GMT
R. Lang says:
I have the season 1 of Alfred Hitchcock Presents DVD set, and more than likely go for seson 2.
You can get them from Amazon.
So much out there that needs releasing from the past, but a tragedy so much has been wiped here in the U.K. by tv company thicko's.
Home video machines sadly came 15 years too late, then all the wonderful vintage tv shows would still be here preserved, instead of distant memories.

Posted on 16 Feb 2012 22:56:54 GMT
bill and ben were scary

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Feb 2012 20:48:15 GMT
R. P. Scott says:
I like the 1989 version too. One of my favourte scaries. I have the book also as well as a few other Susan Hill. Went to see the new version this very evening with my family. Wasn't sure what to expect. I didn't want the story spoilt and I had heard mixed reviews, but we all really liked it. It was very creepy. We thought Daniel Radcliffe was great. And I liked the ending. I'll be buying the DVD later. So go see it and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Posted on 13 Feb 2012 19:15:44 GMT
Yes, and he's used to start the show by saying "Good Evening" in the drowling voice of his, can't remember any of the stories though.
does anybody remember a show about a mexican head in a bag that did tricks?! I think it may have been on at the cinema though not tv and might have been called chico or something similar, it wasn't scary, just wierd.

Posted on 13 Feb 2012 18:41:21 GMT
S. McGrath says:
I remember Chocky, Day of The Triffids, Chimera.......Tales of the Unexpected and was there Alfred Hitchcock Presents.....?

Posted on 12 Feb 2012 10:58:46 GMT
Yea, it's quiet a good episode that one Roger. funny, when I was a kid watching it I only really saw the scary side of it but watching it now it's quiet comical in places, I like the banter between kolchak and vincenzo.
My favorite episode has got to be the ripper.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Feb 2012 20:27:57 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Feb 2012 20:31:03 GMT
The episode that stands out for me is called, as I remember, 'Horror in The Heights' and concerns the Rakshasha, a creature of Hindu mythology that kills by making its prey think they are seeing someone they trust.

From the front it's the person but from the rear it's someone wearing a gorilla suit.

Karl sees what he believes is his colleague Miss Emily and has to decide whether or not shoot her with a crossbow.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Feb 2012 11:38:28 GMT
V. WILLIAMS says:
Wow! How the decades have degraded my m m m memory!!? I blame the sofa for getting in my way back in 1965! Shame it won't ever see the light of day. Thanks for sharing Cartimand. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Feb 2012 11:03:27 GMT
Cartimand says:
Hi V. Williams. Your recollection got me thinking, so I did a little digging through Doctor Who transcripts. The episode in question was "The Dalek Masterplan", broadcast on 13th of November 1965 (so what the hell my parents were doing letting a 4 -year old watch it, I don't know!) and, according to Wikipedia; "The Doctor and Sara reach the TARDIS but have been aged massively by the Destructor. The two collapse and Sara disintegrates." ... but "Steven rushes outside and tries to deactivate the Destructor ...he begins to rapidly age. Fortunately, when trying to deactivate the destructor he managed to reverse it, thus causing the two to revert to approximately their previous ages. The pursuing Daleks try to destroy the Destructor with their weapons but instead cause it to run uncontrollably fast, destroying the Daleks and reducing the planet to a lifeless, barely habitable wasteland."

I swear I recall Sara screaming "Doctor!" and we get a brief shot of a skeleton hand emerging from the Doctor's dress-coat, and that's what has stuck in my mind all those decades!

Posted on 11 Feb 2012 10:37:46 GMT
What about the clifton house mystery, now available on dvd, it was the haunting little tune that played on it that I found scary more than anything else.
I used to be terrified of the tv advert "spirit of dark waters" with the voice over by donald pleasance, makes me shudder thinking about it now!
Dr Who get's a few mentions in this thread and some of the old stuff is pretty scary especially because we were kids when we watched it, but I think the scariest Dr Who episode has got to be Blink, absolutely brilliant.

Posted on 11 Feb 2012 10:00:31 GMT
Yea your right Roger, I've got both the series and the two movies on dvd, watched them with my son a couple of years ago and he said they were better than modern day american horror movies and you know what I think he's right.
wish I could remember the name of the film about the little creatures in the dark.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Feb 2012 08:30:39 GMT
'Kolchak, The Night Stalker' TV Series is on DVD, as are the two movies that we connected to the series, 'The Night Stalker' and 'The Night Strangler'.

Barry ATTWATER made a great hissing vampire.

Posted on 11 Feb 2012 07:38:35 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Feb 2012 10:06:20 GMT
I've agree with most of what's already been posted, quiet as a nun, salems lot, whistle and I'll come to you etc scared the hell out of me.
One that really got me though was an episode of the new avengers where a scientist had invented a chemical for growing massive fruit and veg, an amount had got into the sewer and there was a giant rat scurrying round eating people, the bit that got me was the scientists being devoured, you never saw the rat, just him screaming his head off ,clinging to the wall of the sewer and being pulled into the darkness (jesus it was scary).
There was also an episode of space 1999 where this alien that had invaded the base would suck a person in through what looked like an old tatty blind and there would be a lot of noise and flashing lights then a mummified corpse would be spat back out, I couldn't sleep for a week after watching it.
I remember and miss the saturday night horror double bills during the summer on bbc2, normally an old hammer film, the mummy, creature from the black lagoon etc followed by something more modern like vault of horror or tales from the crypt.

Does anyone remember an old made for tv film about a woman in a house where little creatures come out when it's dark from the fire place and she uses the flash on a camera to scare them off? I just can't recall the name of it.
I also loved the tv series kolchak the night stalker, it sacerd me at the time but is still great to watch now.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Feb 2012 18:41:11 GMT
V. WILLIAMS says:
I remember the Doctor Who episode too. I recall it slightly differently. The Doctor and his assistant were running from the Daleks to reach the TARDIS. A doomsday weapon had been triggered that caused time to accelerate. I think the Doctor had set off the bomb to thwart the Daleks using the device on Earth. Daleks were seen grinding to a halt, rusting and holes appearing in their structure. The Doctor, being a Timelord, had some resistance to this but his faithful assistant did not and aged rapidly on camera, fell to the floor as an ancient and decomposed into a skeleton, yuck! The Doctor reached the TARDIS and ran inside where he was shielded from the "time" bomb. What happened then I don't know because I was behind the sofa... This was probably my first insight into death and associated processes when I was a young child. Thanks BBC! Perhaps this could be remade with modern effects to scare another generation...?

Posted on 10 Feb 2012 17:01:55 GMT
Cartimand says:
One of the early Doctor Who episodes where time is accelerating and the Doctor falls to the floor. You see his hand, protruding from the sleeve of his coat, turn into a skeleton hand. That really disturbed me.

Also there was an Adam Adament episode where a crowded tube train left one station, but when it arrived at the next station, it was full of skeletons.

Sadly, I believe both of these episodes have been wiped and so I'll never have the opportunity to watch them again to exorcise the ghost as it were!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Feb 2012 16:44:56 GMT
R. Lang says:
I have the DVD of Woman in Black made by the BBC in 1989, and according to reviews, the new movie has a different tale to tell, especially the main characters wife not there!! I will read the novel and see which is the true version, but I know the BBC play will be hard to beat.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Feb 2012 16:43:35 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 10 Feb 2012 16:45:38 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2012 19:23:21 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 2 Feb 2012 19:26:22 GMT]

Posted on 2 Feb 2012 16:55:19 GMT
Amnesiac1986 says:
When I was a kid a lot of X-files episodes, the most memorable being one of the early seasons episodes with a flukeman. On a later season there was a Stephen King one with a doll which was quite scary.
But since I have grown up I found some Ghost Story for Christmas DVDs and The Signalman is undoubtedly the scariest thing I have even seen.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2012 10:02:03 GMT
F Wheatley: I do hope, somewhere, you are keeping a tally. When the balloon rises, the scores could prove crucial.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2012 09:43:59 GMT
DB Edwards - congratulations you are this week's, "The Most Frightening TV Programme is the News" winner. Well done.

Posted on 2 Feb 2012 01:16:06 GMT
DB Edwards says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 1 Feb 2012 11:18:01 GMT
All of the BBC 2 "A Ghost Story for Christmas" come straight to mind. (PR James). Whistle and I'll Come to you in particular. Of course Susan Hill's original Women in Black is way up there too. Forget the new USA release of the same title, its cringing watch the original made and set in the UK. Its not one to watch on your own.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Feb 2012 10:01:57 GMT
The modern day Merlin sounds like Raven, now available from Network dvd.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jan 2012 00:52:56 GMT
R. Lang says:
The Pogles is now on DVD, and still amazing and weird!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the television discussion forum (642 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  120
Total posts:  185
Initial post:  13 Jun 2010
Latest post:  18 Feb 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions