Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

The X-Files Series Blu Ray Release

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 May 2013 17:32:22 BDT
There's been a bit of a surge in 80s-90s TV shows being brought to Blu Ray and talk that The X-Files might come as well. I find it kind of surprising that there's nothing confirmed in the works as it was one of the most popular shows in the world during the 90s. Do you think it would sell?? personally I'd pay £250-£300 for a nice 9 season box set.

Posted on 21 May 2013 18:03:27 BDT
Neil says:
http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/the-rumor-mill/is-fox-bringing-x-files-to-blu-in-2013

Posted on 21 May 2013 18:28:11 BDT
I can see this happen actually. As a X-Files fan and own all 9 seasons on dvd i'd buy it on bluray. Not sure how many people would buy it? I've not heard of any confirmation of any X-Files been released on bluray either, it would be nice to see it in bluray and i can't see any reason why it shouldn't be released on bluray, even though i do find bluray works better with scenes in space. My only gripe would be the price, many people have bought the boxsets previously which were expensive. Some people might be put off by having to spend maybe £250-£300 on this on bluray if they've already spend loads on them before! I'm sure it will be released on bluray at some point, there are plenty of movies released on bluray that are much worse than The X-Files. The X-Files was the best series of the 90's.

Posted on 22 May 2013 09:15:45 BDT
I've read all the online rumors but there's still nothing confirmed. Personally, as long as Buffy and X-Files have a Blu Ray make over I'll be happy for the next few years.... I'm currently watching Star Trek The Next Generation on Blu Ray, something I thought would never make it to Blu Ray so there's hope for The X-Files yet...

Posted on 27 May 2013 12:09:44 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 May 2013 12:09:57 BDT
Gelbear2 says:
I think it would have to have a price point of around £60-70 for the whole series, but seeing as Star Trek TNG ranges from £30 to £50 per season, this to me looks hugely overpriced, although over time the prices will fall when they have ripped off the die-hard fans and then sales stall.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2013 20:08:00 BDT
http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/the-rumor-mill/true-lies-abyss-2014-x-files-twin-peaks

Posted on 31 May 2013 11:02:18 BDT
It's good to read, but HTVs work on Star Trek TNG was abysmal

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jun 2013 17:45:31 BDT
MadusMaximus says:
This kind of restoration work isn't cheap. With the work they've done on TNG though (season 2 is a bit hit and miss thanks to it being outsourced) it could very well be worth it. TNG S3 looks and sounds OUTSTANDING! It's absolutely stunning. It has a very movie like quality to it too thanks to the colour grading.

I'd love to see the X-Files get this same kind of treatment, same with Buffy and some other Fox TV shows from the 90's and early 2000's.

Posted on 22 Jan 2014 20:31:45 GMT
A. Whitehead says:
Astonishingly, the first season has already been done and is airing...on German TV. I'm not sure why the Germans are getting it first, but it seems to be the real deal.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1923355

And an establishing shot comparison (roll mouse over to see it change):

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/58612

Two bits of bad news though: the effects footage appears to have been upscaled rather than redone from scratch (understandably, as this is very expensive), and THE X-FILES uses a fair bit of publicly-sourced stock footage for establishing shots of places like Washington, DC. These shots remain in SD, because they didn't have access to the original shots to remaster them. Not the end of the world, but slightly irritating.

When American or British viewers will get to see it, or when it will be released on Blu-Ray, remains unknown, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't this year.

Posted on 4 Feb 2014 15:54:28 GMT
This is just an up-scaled DVD version, there is still no news regarding a Blu Ray remastering... I'm currently watching Season 5 of The Next Generation and the difference is staggering. The X-Files will be different though as only the first 4-5 seasons need a TNG style remastering, I'm sure the last seasons were filmed (but not broadcast) on higher definition film...

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2014 14:08:37 GMT
A. Whitehead says:
The version airing in Germany right now definitely is a full HD remaster. You can clearly see it's not an upscale, as the live-action images are a lot clearer. The effects and stock footage has been upscaled, but there is speculation that this was because the German TV station wanted the series straight away rather than waiting a few months for a more complete version (hence why the US and UK Blu-Ray release dates have not been announced yet), and it doesn't reflect the final remaster quality.

Hopefully that is the case, because the Germans have also expanded the original Super 35 image to fill a full widescreen TV, which means cropping of the top and bottom of the image. This would clearly be unacceptable to fans (German fans sound rather annoyed by it), so hopefully the final release version will be in the full original aspect ratio that show was filmed in (which wasn't 16.9 but fairly close, with minor black bars down the sides of the screen). This sort of thing was done before with FRIENDS a few years ago, when the Europeans started showing the series in HD before the work was complete, meaning some scenes were upscaled on transmission but in full HD when the Blu-Rays came out in the States and UK.

Posted on 5 Feb 2014 17:32:21 GMT
The article says that it's being broadcast in a 'Post process' format, whatever that means, it could just be bad google translation...

What I find surprising is that if it's being re-mastered onto blu ray it's being kept a secret from the public.... There was a big deal made about TNG and it built up anticipation for the release. As much of a trekkie that I am I must admit that during the mid/late 90s X-Files was huge, I find it very surprising that this hasn't been announced.

I've read the German article in closer detail and it appears that there's only 6 episodes been up scaled and it's not a full re mastering project.

Still hoping they get round to it though....

TNG was kept in 4:3 format and you don't even notice it.

Posted on 6 Feb 2014 12:06:44 GMT
A. Whitehead says:
Someone from Fox did confirm last year that the Blu-Ray re-release/remastering was still happening, but there's certainly been no major announcement about it. I suspect we'll be seeing one this year.

It's possible they were trying to do this for the show's 20th anniversary in September and, when they missed that, decided to go slow with it and hopefully do a better job.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Mar 2014 09:42:24 GMT
s.w.85 says:
I read online a German TV channel are showing first season episodes reformatted for widescreen and hi-def. So surely all they need to do is whack it on a disc!

Posted on 10 Mar 2014 10:02:57 GMT
s.w.85 says:
ah. just read all of your comments in more detail. never mind.
Your reply to s.w.85's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the television discussion forum (628 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  21 May 2013
Latest post:  10 Mar 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions