Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

You only get 40 minutes of tv for every hour, that is why I hate ads and why the BBC is so much better!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 92 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Apr 2011 19:44:53 BDT
Hate ads with a passion beyond understanding, which basically equates to a huge dislike of all commercial channels. I feel entirely justified in this but feel free to say why I'm wrongheaded. I'm not though...

Posted on 7 Apr 2011 21:41:36 BDT
S. J. Young says:
I agree totally, & the only time I watch programs form commercial channels is if I buy them later on DVD. Used to watch them, but then they got greedy increasing ad breaks so they appeared every few minutes, & the only people they are hurting are themselves, as I expect many people hold the same views.

Posted on 7 Apr 2011 22:58:34 BDT
pb752 says:
These breaks interrupt the flow of a programme and I find them really annoying as well. I don't watch too much actual live tv these days. I usually record the progs that I want to see and when playing them back, I just skim through the adverts using the fast forward button.
Watching tv progs on dvds is ideal for me as they don't have any adverts !

Posted on 8 Apr 2011 19:39:46 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 Apr 2011 20:17:55 BDT
Yes to all that. I even record decent stuff (lots of BBC4 music docs) on hard drive, then burn them to dvd and eliminate the trails - the stuff which won't be released, like 'classic albums', etc. But if it has to be a commercial channel recording, say something from Film Four, for example, it is my pleasure to edit into non-existence the ads. If only one could get paid for (skillfully!) doing something about the burning rage associated. Sorry, it's been a long day.

Posted on 9 Apr 2011 11:16:01 BDT
Dela says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 9 Apr 2011 21:09:57 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Apr 2011 16:29:23 BDT
John Gammon says:
I noticed today that episodes of the Channel Four comedy, Friday Night Dinner, are 21 minutes long. Is this now the norm for a "half-hour" sitcom? It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't fill so much time with shouty promos for programmes that bear no relationship to the one you're watching and played over and over.

Posted on 9 Apr 2011 23:31:41 BDT
my wife and i love 'midsomer murders' and channel 2, abc [ without ads ] is much the preferred option.

i also loathe ads, especially when tye play the b....y things not two minutes after playing them before. maybe wre should go back to the old british system of licences then we could do without the pestiferous adverts. not only are they annoying but you have to keep adjusting the volume because they think you're deaf and they also stuff up recording of programmes.

Posted on 10 Apr 2011 01:31:55 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 11 Apr 2011 11:23:21 BDT
MoxyRusic says:
Allan Hansen, Allan Shearer and Mark Lawrenson are all cockneys? Well I never.

Posted on 11 Apr 2011 11:58:07 BDT
I think it goes without saying that people don't like sitting through adverts, but there is another side to the story. Some adverts I've seen have been some of the most amazing things.

Search for these phrases on YouTube (these are just a few of my favourites, and they are all family-friendly):

Evolution of Technology /// extended Cinema Version
Jose Gonzalez - Heartbeats, Sony Bravia
BMW - 1 Series Advert
Guinness Horse Surfer Ad
The World Is Just Awesome
Guinness "Evolution"
Lucozade advert - The Music Factory

I am not gonna defend the process of showing 18 minutes of advertising an hour, but that doesn't mean the adverts themselves can't be amazing. Some adverts I've seen have been the most wonderful, poignant, touching, or funny things and they make it all worthwhile.

Posted on 11 Apr 2011 12:15:50 BDT
D. C. Newby says:
adverts i hate them all the itv dramas such as above suspicion i record them cut out all the adverts and put them on a disc
to view later like a film. that three part three hour program then runs about 2hrs 15min aprox just like waching a feature film
i do that to all those the three part dramas RED RIDING and WHITECHAPPLE ect or record some and watch later and fast foward
the adverts

Posted on 11 Apr 2011 12:47:23 BDT
R. A. Caton says:
Check out the French "Orangina" adverts on YouTube. Especially the funny furry ones. Fantastic, and something you'd never get away with in live action - or the UK!

Posted on 11 Apr 2011 14:49:25 BDT
Steve says:
If I find a show I like on a commercial channel, I generally buy the DVD. Just imagine, although you only get 42 minutes, they are a smooth flowing 42 minutes of story.

I do feel that the BBC take the michael in many respects and have a very heavy political bias in the organisation. e.g. you try finding a BBC job advertised in any other newspaper than the guardian.

Posted on 11 Apr 2011 19:05:19 BDT
pego mike says:
you think you have problems with ads on tv, here in spain, we get 25 minutes of program and 35 minutes of ads,ok so we dont have to pay for a tv licence here, but when you get twenty minute ad breaks,towards the end, you can easily foget what you are watching.

Posted on 12 Apr 2011 13:00:58 BDT
Ilkar says:
Don't forget HBO, AMC, FX... they all get 45-60 minutes.

Posted on 12 Apr 2011 13:40:37 BDT
Diana Benson says:
At least the British freeview system allows you to record (and then zap past the adverts while watching as you want to) or to pause and play (pausing at the start gives you a buffer by which you can once again zap past the ads). BBC trailers are annoying but at least they don't break the continuity of the programmes in general.

I agree that some of the adverts are marvellous films in themselves, original and amusing perhaps when seen once or twice or even three times, but anything becomes tedious when repeated persistently. We simply don't watch them any more, either because we're watching DVDs or we've used one of the techniques made possible by freeview and we speed past them as quickly as possible. I guess we must be in a minority though, or why would companies continue to publicise their products in this way?

Spare a thought for the French who also pay a licence fee but where adverts have been included on all of the Public channels (although there is a scheme to phase them out completely in time). At present ad breaks end at a fairly early hour in the evening, you just get long trailers etc instead... I think next year adverts are supposed to disappear from the French public channels, although the tax against telecoms companies that was to fund the loss in revenue has, I think been disallowed.

The French version of freeview (TNT) doesn't allow you to pause so that option of zapping the ads is lost. Friends with Canal subscriptions (like Sky in the UK) tell me that they can't record, pause or zap either.

Maybe the British system isn't too bad after all!

Posted on 12 Apr 2011 13:52:42 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Apr 2011 13:53:20 BDT
C. Broadhead says:
thats what sky+ is for!!!
im just watchin last weeks coronation street will only take 2hour to watch over a weeks worth of programmes!!

if their is a film on that i want to wAtch and it will be full of adverts i usually record the film, wait 30-40 min (while watchin summat else) then start watching.
this way i can fast forward the adverts and usually catch up to real time near the end!!

Posted on 12 Apr 2011 14:14:33 BDT
The BBC may well be great in many peoples eyes but wouldn't it be nice for us to be able to choose?

The only TV I watch on the Beeb is Top Gear. I use the website too. So for my 145 I get 12 hours of tv and the use of the website without ads when I'm in the UK. Oh, and I did watch the great HD coverage of the Superbowl too so that takes me up to 16 hours.

Posted on 13 Apr 2011 09:49:19 BDT
Agree with all of you. Here in Israel the main two channels all have ads and if there is anything decent on the only way around it is to record. Of coarse they charge you a ton for renting the machine. I therefore rely on AMazon for all my viewing. The trick h ere is to wait until the price comes down or to go to one of amazons dealers who are a lot cheaper. Strangely enough e-bay can be more expensive which is pretty weird.

And lastly, the good thing about this wonderful series is that it has sub-titles and for the hard of hearing like me this is a must.

Posted on 13 Apr 2011 23:38:35 BDT
Paul says:
I rarely watch commercial tv, but If I watch a film on say C5, the thing that really annoys me is they turn the volume up 100% on the adverts. That then means the off button is hit and I record and skip the ad's. These media/adverstising companies may learn one day that they are completely alienating the people they pay through the nose to attempt to sell stuff to, although I very much doubt it..

Posted on 14 Apr 2011 09:21:36 BDT
stuart lief says:
In the age of home video i'd have thought programmes today would still be shot in the original 50 minute format as they were some 25 years ago for Blu-ray & DVD though edited to 42 minutes for broadcast. It would seem commercial television has come full circle since during it's formative years adverts used up 20% of the broadcast time as they do today with admags like what you see on FX. In 1960 the ITA ruled adverts could only occupy 10% of the broadcast time with admags being banned in 1966 which begins to explain why early drama shows such as Police Surgeon ran for 25 minutes.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Apr 2011 12:19:24 BDT
J. Baxter says:
@ The Usual Suspect!
You do have a choice. You CHOOSE to only watch Top Gear and the Superbowl! That is your choice!! There are plenty of other programmes on the various BBC Channels that you CHOOSE NOT to watch! Your choice!! Don't blame anybody else for it! :)

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Apr 2011 15:00:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Apr 2011 15:13:40 BDT
No I don't. I have to pay the license fee last time I checked. Do you know something I don't?

What am I blaming everyone else for???? For having a different taste to me?
I'm only pointing out that it would be nice to be able to 'opt out'. I would happily pay for TG on download instead.

Posted on 15 Apr 2011 11:27:31 BDT
Felders says:
You do realise that the advertising PAYS for the TV you watch to be produced? In the same way that advertising allows you to access news for free on the internet? Without advertising a massive amount of free, easily available content simply wouldn't exist.

It's childish and naive to whinge about a world where you get good content for free. If ads annoy you so much, don't watch TV and just buy it on DVD later. But don't pretend that they are some kind of evil just put there to annoy you.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Apr 2011 13:21:02 BDT
man says:
Me Too Kelvin...they spoil any enjoyment I may Experience while watching a commercial channel.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the television discussion forum (614 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums
ARRAY(0xae2fdde0)

This discussion

Participants:  48
Total posts:  92
Initial post:  7 Apr 2011
Latest post:  29 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions