Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

Do classic shows desrve another run or should they be left alone?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Posted on 28 Apr 2014 16:54:02 BDT
Diablo13 says:
In the "new for old vein, I really enjoy Inspector George Gently. Martin Sheen is a great actor and setting the stories back in the sixties give this new program some good old fashioned grit. After the death of John Thaw I feel Shaw has taken up the mantle of our current generations best tv tec. Lee Ingleby also plays John as a very believable sidekick, in the old traditions of when we had proper RESPECTED policemen, instead of PC PC's!
My only complaint is that there just aren't enough of them in a series.

Posted on 20 Apr 2014 16:40:13 BDT
John Gammon says:
I remember seeing the first episode of Department S when it was first shown, and being very impressed with Jason King's "fight" scene, which was conducted behind closed doors. After a lot of sound effects of punching and groaning and then silence, King emerges, faces the camera for a second, and drops down unconscious. Even as a teen, I thought this was not only amusing but such a jump forward in popular TV drama - a hero who was clearly not much of a fighter.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jul 2013 03:05:59 BDT
Greg Chapman says:
I agree with your comment on The Return of the Man From UNCLE. One of the best pilot episodes ever.

Posted on 4 Jun 2013 16:06:57 BDT
John Gammon says:
Yes, I agree - repeats rather than remakes please. I wished I'd never watched the five minutes only that I endured of the recent remakes of The Prisoner and The Fugitive. Shows such as these are plain disrespectful, and make you wonder what's the point? There are plenty of new ideas for TV dramas if producers would show a bit more entrepreneurship.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2011 22:19:04 GMT
E. Richards says:
I couldn't agree more, Dean.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2011 22:15:22 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 4 Dec 2011 22:21:43 GMT]

Posted on 20 Nov 2011 21:18:56 GMT
Natasha S says:
I heard on some TV gossip show that there is going to be a Man From Uncle feature film!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2011 01:51:02 GMT
JJMMWGDuPree says:
I think Dr. Who worked because they didn't try to change the character or the continuity at all. The only one that didn't work was the Speilberg attempt. Motorbike chases? Kissing the girl? It got off to a fine start and turned into a joke somewhere, which was a shame when you compare Speilberg's budget with the BBC's and think what he could have created if he'd only listened to advice...

One remake I would like to have seen was the proposed Return Of The Man From UNCLE, with Patrick McNee's John Steed replacing Mr. Waverly.

Posted on 18 Nov 2011 18:59:53 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Nov 2011 19:04:24 GMT
Natasha S says:
Not all remakes work as well as they should or even last as many seasons as they should.

V only lasted for two Seasons and i would of loved it to at least had 2 more seasons!

A remake of The Champions might be a good idea.

Posted on 17 Nov 2011 23:44:49 GMT
sonicscooby says:
On the whole I agree - repeat the classics rather than remake then. One revival I do agree with though is the new Dr Who, IMO, far superior to the previous, although I loved them too, but Eccleston, Tenanant and Smith are brilliant Dr Who's and unmissable. The story lines much improved and really scary, especially the weeping agents. Would love to see a repeat of the old Dr Who's too though, beginning with the first. Sad that a lot of the early episodes are lost.

Posted on 20 Sep 2010 22:42:55 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 Sep 2010 22:48:53 BDT
C. G. M. says:
I think another reason that remakes don't make it is that audiences don't simply love the characters in a show, they love the characters "as played by the originating actors". We didn't just love Hyacinth Bucket, we loved Hyacinth as played by Pat Routledge. We didn't just love Mrs Wembley, but loved Mrs Wembley as played by Joan Sims. Ditto for Emma Peal and Diana Rigg. No matter how fine an actor Ralph Fiennes is, John Steed means Pat Macnee, and no other. That's why Diana and Linda Thorson didn't pick up the Cathy Gale character; Cathy was Honor Blackman, and newer actresses required newer characters, with their own personalities, even if they still filled the shoes of Steed's partner.

In the same way, there are many talented actors and actresses who can play comparable roles as the classics, but should be given new characters in a unique series that they can become uniquely identified with and allowed to shine in their own right, and not try stepping into the shoes of a predecessor, with whom they will likely never be able to compete.

Producers should put their creative energies into new productions, and not try to re-invent very successful wheels. Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but mimicry rarely flatters.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Sep 2010 16:58:59 BDT
Your post couldn't have been better expressed, you've hit the nail on the head! I think all those elements are true. The overt "modernity" and high-tech production tends to leave one watching something too slick, lacking in warmth, charm and depth. I prefer older programmes with exceptional actors and good storylines. The best thing would be for writers to create new, well written stories and leave the originals alone, but let the classic shows be played on television so we can all enjoy them again, or for those of us to young at the time, to see again!

Posted on 20 Sep 2010 05:37:21 BDT
C. G. M. says:
I agree that remakes rarely work, and I've often wondered why that is. Is it that the originals are a product of their era, and updating them moves them out of the context we knew and loved? Can newer actors / writers / directors not capture the essence and style of the earlier talent? Does newer talent try too hard, and the results seemed forced, more self-conscious, so the shows seem like a 're-creation of the old' rather than 'a modern continuation of the old'? Do advanced production standards somehow make updates too polished, erasing some of the charm of the more modest standards of bygone years? Do remakes try to be more "with it" and "modernly cool", destroying the innocence of the originals? With rare exceptions, remakes / updates of both television and movies fail, and it's curious that it occurs with such regularity. With the abysmal success rate, it almost makes you wonder why producers even bother. I often feel like I'm being conned, with current producers thinking they can pawn off any half-baked remake, and expect me to watch simply because I was a fan of the original.

Posted on 19 Sep 2010 18:59:11 BDT
I feel that re-makes of older shows rarely work, I'd rather just watch the originals!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2010 18:56:35 BDT
I can see the characters in Department S being portrayed by others, all apart from Peter Wyngarde as Jason King, as he is one of a kind and I've never seen anyone to match that personality. Also bear in mind that so much of the character was an amplified version of himself, he even wore his own clothes and drove his own car!

Posted on 18 Sep 2010 11:56:17 BDT
Dean Fuller says:
Repeats are fine...

Remakes.... NEVER !

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Sep 2010 12:20:15 BDT
I agree. It was close enough to the original to be recognisably the same concept, but far enough away to stand on its own - a difficult balance to achieve.

Posted on 15 Sep 2010 22:18:58 BDT
JJMMWGDuPree says:
The New Prisoner was terrible, in fact most US remakes of Brit series seem to miss the point somehow, a point emphasised by Vic & Bob's Brit remake of Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased), which I thought was pretty good.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Sep 2010 12:35:32 BDT
I've contacted Network and they say they've no plans yet for any more. Shame as it was - and is - compulsive viewing.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Sep 2010 12:30:15 BDT
The PC prats can't understand that this was ANTI-racist, can they?

Posted on 10 Feb 2009 08:01:49 GMT
Last edited by the author on 10 Feb 2009 08:02:44 GMT
Paul Tapner says:
It depends on the strength of the idea and if you can update it for a modern audience. I love the ITC shows but they're not exactly the paciest programmes around. I'd love to see a new version of Department S because that was a strong idea for a show, but it would need a character and actor as charismatic as jason king and peter wyngarde. can lighting strike twice in that respect?

At the moment I'm really enjoying catching up with old crown court episodes on dvd. and that was a superb idea for a format. it could still work today

Posted on 8 Feb 2009 23:18:04 GMT
There are enough cable channels now that I can catch up on The Professionals, Minder and The Sweeney without them having to re-invent the wheel. The new krypton factor didn't really hit the spot and Minder was ok but didn't have the same chemistry . . .

I would love a cable channel that ran 1970 - 1990 TV adverts 24/7. No introductions, No C-List celebrity fills, just nostalgic advert after advert . . .

Posted on 6 Feb 2009 23:58:22 GMT
I don't think they should have brought back Minder as such , just renamed it

Posted on 6 Feb 2009 15:44:44 GMT
Stephan Bond says:
Love thy neighbour. But no one would put it on, so we have to get the series on dvd. What a shame.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Feb 2009 12:19:51 GMT
I think revivals are often a mistake, however well-intended, as it's often difficult to catch the elements of the original show's appeal. I do however think that re-runs of the originals are a great idea, because they can be seen in the context of the time that they were made. I think American TV of the 1950s, 60s and early 70s stands up well but all goes a bit down hill from thereon - with notable exceptions such as the X-Files, Rockford Files, Hill Street Blues, Brimstone, NYPD Blue, ER and Homicide: Life on the Street. British TV has has maintained quality standards all through, except for shaky production quality (low budgets I would guess, no criticisms intended) up to the 1970s - and the notable exceptions were the glossy ITC filmed series of the 60s/70s which stand in a high quality arena of their own, standing the test of time. Basically, keep the re-runs coming. I love 'em.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the television discussion forum (632 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  6 Feb 2009
Latest post:  28 Apr 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions