Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

Benny Hill was considered the funniest man in the whole UK according to Current Biography of 1983's article on him

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 96 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Jun 2011 14:46:11 BDT
Man of truth says:
I think he was and still is the funniest UK comic ever!

Posted on 9 Jun 2011 17:01:06 BDT
Yes he was hilarious, probably the funniest!

Posted on 11 Jun 2011 14:03:48 BDT
Dean Fuller says:
nah... he was funny but a bit of a over statement that...
actually, i thought `ernie the fastest milkman` was his best bit.

Posted on 11 Jun 2011 16:44:16 BDT
Da Parsons says:
When you say Comic, you mean Slapstick Comic?

Posted on 11 Jun 2011 19:10:59 BDT
Benny Hill was slapstick simple humour, that's why he was hugely poular in the USA. To say he is/was the best british comic ever is ridiculous. Benny was funny, like Norman Wisdom and Dick Emery, good visual slapstick and sketches. Couldn't have carried a sitcom, was a terrible stand-up, couldn't do a stage act of any kind apart from maybe panto. No, Benny was popular but never the best.

The best or the funniest would be a different answer from most people because the UK has been so rich in comedy talent.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2011 01:04:38 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Jun 2011 01:04:58 BDT
Man of truth says:
Wrong Picture! The funniest rating of Hill came from within the UK itself! Most in the UK felt he was the best!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jun 2011 10:30:57 BDT
As I recall his show was incredibly popular, but was that because of his humour, or because he was always ripping clothes off of the young ladies for a laugh?

I never found him overly funny myself. And it is difficult to reconcile with the respect held for many other comedians at around that time such as Eric Morecambe.

Wayne

Posted on 21 Jun 2011 12:38:14 BDT
pb752 says:
I tend to agree with what Mr Burchell has just said i.e. that Benny Hill's popularity was boosted by always having lots of scantilly clad girls in his programmes. I thought he was ok but consider many to be far funnier than he was.
From that era, I would put the comic genius of John Cleese ahead of him with his Monty Python and Fawlty Towers stuff and also Ronnie Barker with all the different series that he was involved in.
Since those days I would also suggest the likes of the Blackadder team, Harry Enfield etc etc.
Pete

Posted on 27 Jun 2011 22:17:32 BDT
Pub Slug says:
I think he was creepy. I don't 'get' the humorous aspects of some elderly man leering at women and actively pursuing them around a public park. Perhaps stalking/rape/sexual harassment has a funny side, or is this kind of cretinous drivel too dated to and too dire? It's about as witty as your average reality show contestant. *YAWN*

Posted on 6 Jul 2011 15:40:35 BDT
Man of truth says:
Hill coming from a show-biz family explains his extra-great talents!

Posted on 27 Jan 2012 20:30:49 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Jan 2012 20:31:46 GMT
Man of truth says:
There is a book called "Did these stories really happen" and the fact that Hill was considered the funniest man should have made that book. (It didn't but it should have!) Check Current Biography 1983 for confirmation of this fact on Hill.

Posted on 29 Jan 2012 17:40:15 GMT
Man of truth says:
That book I just mentioned yesterday does discuss actors.

Posted on 30 Jan 2012 17:48:47 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 3 Feb 2012 21:19:19 GMT]

Posted on 31 Jan 2012 18:59:20 GMT
Like most artists - or should I say comedians? - Benny Hill had his moments of glory - and lots of them. He could be very funny. I find that he was less than consistent, though. His best stuff is laugh-out-loud funny, but too many of the sketches are predictable and mediocre. He also reused a lot of the material. Still - there´s gold in them that Hills. He never reached the heights of Ronnie Barker, the Monty Python gang or Morecambe & Wise, but that´s no reason to criticize him now. He´s made me laugh many times, and I´m grateful for that.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2012 19:35:47 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Feb 2012 20:09:35 GMT
Ses says:
What a ridiculous post. Benny Hill wasn't that funny, but his humour was comical and harmless. You go on like he was a sexual predator.

The irony is that, nowadays, comedians can be as nasty as they want as long as they are "pc". I don't recall Benny Hill ever personally insulting or being nasty about anybody. But because his humour wasn't "pc", some miserable saddoes felt and still feel a need to pick on him.

Posted on 3 Feb 2012 08:31:50 GMT
Hill wasn't always to my taste, but he was funny....and that is far more than pc idiots or those doing "observational comedy" that are on the box today calling themselves comedians can ever hope to be

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2012 15:21:54 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Feb 2012 15:22:16 GMT
Cartimand says:
It's not just the sexy women and slapstick. Benny Hill was a very clever wordsmith - some of the puns and double-entendres in his comedy sketches and songs were utterly brilliant.

Posted on 9 Feb 2012 20:16:29 GMT
Gerry Atrick says:
At his best Benny was brilliant and very funny. I tend to agree that, as with many sketch shows, some of the sketches were far funnier than others but to single out the closing scenes of him chasing women around a public park as being the mainstay of his comedy suggests the writer never watched much Benny Hill. The fact remains that for many people he was comedy hero and was treated pretty poorly by Thames television.

Posted on 12 Mar 2012 18:11:47 GMT
Man of truth says:
Hill was amazingly great. Such a natural at it too.

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 03:19:20 GMT
Seán says:
Different people have different opinions

Posted on 15 Mar 2012 16:45:27 GMT
A. hopper says:
benny hill was an institution and certainly very successful worldwide.wonder how the vicar of dibley would cope if it were aired at the same time.home win for benny and dibley in the relegation zone.no contest.

Posted on 16 Mar 2012 00:03:45 GMT
mickram23 says:
I do find it ironic that the pc brigade (yawn) find it so easy to be critical of Benny Hill and yet many of today's comedians are far more un-pc (and a dam sight more offensive and nasty) than he ever was. Benny Hill had great talent and was a clever lyricist and you only have to watch any of the documentaries about him to see how much the women who worked for him loved and admired him. No doubt the pc brigade would say they're just air-headed bimbos who don't know any better!!!

Posted on 16 Mar 2012 18:31:24 GMT
rog says:
he was ok, but NOONE could hold a candle or even 4 of them to ronnie barker

Posted on 17 Mar 2012 07:18:57 GMT
Sou'Wester says:
I suspect Benny Hill himself would be embarrassed by any claim that he was the funniest man in Britain. According to his friend Bob Monkhouse, Hill was rather weak as a stage performer as he couldn't project himself. However, he really came into his own with television, in which medium during the fifties/sixties he was a very successful and innovative writer and performer. It's also worth adding that he was an accomplished comic actor, with very funny contributions to films such as "Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines" and "The Italian Job", (I always thought it a shame Benny Hill didn't do more film work). The "scantily glad girls" era came later, but around this time Hill seemed to run out of fresh ideas. I think it was as much a case that he just kept repeating the same stuff over and over again as much as any "non PC" element that eventually led to the plug being pulled on his show.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Mar 2012 02:10:08 GMT
mickram23 says:
I always think of Ronnie Barker as a comedy actor rather than a comedian and, as an actor, he was one of the greatest Britain has ever produced. It's easy to underestimate how great he was but he didn't always get the best vehicles for his talent (Clarence and The Magnificent Evans spring to mind) though Fletcher has to be one of the greatest acting performances ever.
Your reply to mickram23's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the television discussion forum (620 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  32
Total posts:  96
Initial post:  7 Jun 2011
Latest post:  25 Nov 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions