best tv shows no-one else remembers....or do they???? lol

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Oct 2008 23:13:52 BDT
D. Clear says:
`a very peculiar practice`, excellent series

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Oct 2008 18:08:42 BDT
G. Ball says:
It was a comedy starring the future doctor who Peter Davison.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Feb 2009 22:26:49 GMT
belly lugosi says:
sink or swim was brilliant

Posted on 4 Apr 2009 23:57:28 BDT
Maximum Bob !
Totally great about a US Judge in some southern state who always gave out the maximum sentence of the death penalty - he was married to a woman who used to work in an underwater mermaid show and there was also a ballroom dancing Sherriff - no, I'm not making it up, it was hilariously quirky!

Posted on 12 Jul 2009 17:32:21 BDT
S. Ormerod says:
how about two by two? it was about a zoo

Posted on 13 Jul 2009 00:01:02 BDT
L. Freeland says:
Maximum Bob. Yes. I would never have remembered that show. In fact I looked it up on imdb.com to see if it wasn't a movie. I am reminded of another Beau Bridges vehicle--United States from 1980. Couldn't find their audiences I guess. Or were not given the time to do so.

Posted on 13 Jul 2009 21:09:51 BDT
Paul Tapner says:
I never saw maximum bob but I remember seeing a few trailers for it.

The show I love that has a very small fanbase: 'it's the mister hell show.' a bbc canadian co production, a thirteen part cartoon show shown late nights on bbc2 on sundays a good few years back. it was a cartoon with bob monkhouse, in what I believe was his last role, voiciing mr hell, a smooth talking blue suited demon who introduced various comedy sketches and scenes. it had recurring characters such as serge the seal of death, a seal out to avenge the death of his parents at the hands of trappers by taking down the fashion industry.

available on dvd from amazon right now. and well worth it.

Posted on 14 Jul 2009 11:11:09 BDT
"King of the Castle". This show has haunted me for years. I must have seen it when I was about 8 or 9 years old. It's a children's TV show about a boy who lives in a tower block, who takes the lift to escape bullies. The lift takes him down to below the ground floor where he finds a nightmare mirror world populated by weird alternative versions of people he knows. The end of the final episode freaked me out at the time and is indelibly etched into my memory, (along with the "Spirit of dark and lonely water" public information film which was on about the same time and scared the wotsits out of me). I won't say what the ending is in case anyone is interested in checking it out. For years I thought it was lost, but it's just been released on DVD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_the_Castle

Posted on 14 Jul 2009 18:49:45 BDT
Sophie says:
I've got two (I feel good:))
The Gemini man. David McCallum had a watch that could turn him invisible, but only for 15 minutes a day.

Ludwig - extremely strange late 70's cartoon about an egg-shaped jewel-robot-thing that played the violin. The supporting character was a magpie. It made no sense whatsoever but it was great fun - the last hurrah of surreal kids' cartoons. Whoever wrote it must have liked cheese and pickle sandwiches as a bedtime snack.

Posted on 14 Jul 2009 20:05:02 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Jul 2009 20:28:55 BDT
Natasha S says:
The Champions from the 1960s
Starring Stuart Damon as Craig Sterling, Alexandra Bastedo as Sharon Macready and William Gaunt as Richard Barrett.

Three Nemisis agents crash land their plan while escaping the Chinese after stealing micro bacteria samples then they are re-born as superhumans after a ancient tribe of people repair their bodies and give them fantastic gifts including super strength, telepathy, improved vision and hearing.

They become The Champions of law, order and justice.

Posted on 14 Jul 2009 20:55:50 BDT
R. Mellor says:
Does anyone remember 30 something, it was in the late 80's I think? and L. A Law. Also NYPD Blue with David Carusso (Herratio Cane)
These should be available on DVD by now!

Posted on 14 Jul 2009 21:48:57 BDT
psn: tqfan says:
it's horatio caine...

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2009 01:44:06 BDT
H. Thompson says:
30 Something was a great show with a good ensmble cast including Melanie Mayron and Peter Berg. It had great music also and was an all time favourite of me and my sister.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2009 05:09:11 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Jul 2009 05:35:32 BDT
Ernie says:
A Very Peculiar Practice ?Agreed.Why has it not been available on DVD?

Posted on 15 Jul 2009 05:17:54 BDT
Ernie says:
Underworld!No,not that one,the one Liddy Oldroyd Directed.In '97.Alun Armstrong David Troughton,Mike Reid Annette Crosbie et al Is there some sort of conspiracy whereby this sort of thing is monitored to catch the marketing for re release?

Posted on 15 Jul 2009 09:01:45 BDT
Jane Gould says:
series one of v peculiar practice was vg. LA Law continually on satellite as are NYPD Blue & 30 something.
but here is something no one else will remember. a series called The Foundation - drama whcih was i think on ITV. 1980s.meant to be the UK answer to Dynasty i think. early outing for the actor who played David Horton in Vicar of Dibley. a woman in control of a massive corporation. sank without trace after the second series unfortunately,as I loved it!

Posted on 20 Jul 2009 18:05:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 Jul 2009 18:09:46 BDT
Crafty Minx says:
Shiilingbury Tales - real Sunday night stuff but very endearing.

I was glued to Chancer too in the 80s, with a very young Clive Owen.

Posted on 20 Jul 2009 20:59:32 BDT
toby the dog says:
can anyone remember a cartoon with the catchphrase 'it's a wolf, it's a wooolf' I must have asked eveybody I know, we all remember it but no-one can tell me the tile of it.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jul 2009 21:45:43 BDT
ASPARAGUS says:
It was actually called ''It's the wolf". Type that into Google and enjoy a trip done memory lane.

Posted on 21 Jul 2009 10:10:14 BDT
roamalot says:
The comedy "May to December" about a middle aged solicitor courting a much younger girl. It's actually being shown again now on one of the more obscure channels. The writing is very clever but I've never heard it mentioned in programmes about classic comedy.

Posted on 21 Jul 2009 15:20:44 BDT
victor says:
Sunset Beach on CH 5 so over the top but i loved it.

Posted on 21 Jul 2009 15:42:32 BDT
Leigh Booker says:
I also loved Chancer in the 80s.
How about Rock Follies, Alias Smith & Jones, Arthur of the Britains & Follyfoot in the 70s.

Posted on 21 Jul 2009 16:24:22 BDT
Mid sixties...

Charlie Drake in 'The Worker' ("Hello Mr Whikatter!") Every episode started with Charlie Drake turning up at the Unemployment Exchange, having been sacked from the last job they sent him to.

Anthony Newley in 'Gurney Slade.' Very surreal and, at the time, very hip indeed.

There was also a show called, I think, 'The Liars' which was dramatised versions of famous short stories by the likes of Guy de Maupassant. Each story began with one member of a rich 19th Century family telling a tale verbally as it then faded into a dramatised version. Most of the stories were of the twist-in-the-tale variety. One of the tale-tellers was Ian Ogilvy, another was William Mervyn.

Posted on 21 Jul 2009 17:03:04 BDT
jannert says:
Hot Metal. A BBC 2 show -- aired late at night (around 11.30pm) for some reason -- about a newspaper office. This show was made earlier and was MUCH funnier than Drop The Dead Donkey. Had a fantastic cast, as well, which included Richard Wilson (Victor Meldrew) John-Gordon Sinclair (Gregory's Girl) and Robert Hardy. I also liked A Very Peculiar Practice.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jul 2009 18:16:02 BDT
D. Phillips says:
Just to clarify David McCallum was "The Invisible Man" in the series of the same name, but Ben Murphy of Alias Smith & Jones fame was the Gemini Man.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 72 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the television discussion forum (626 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Benny Hill considered funnier than Monty Python----BBC should put this fact into Hill documentary 370 1 day ago
Anyone remember the mini TV series called 'Inheritance' starring James Bolam and John Thaw ? 3 1 day ago
Music used in BBC's Doctors 41 4 days ago
Permanent Channel Logos (DOGS) 10 5 days ago
If you miss the beginning of a film, can you still watch it? 8 5 days ago
TV shows you wish HAD been axed or cancelled 2 5 days ago
How I hate when they end the season with a cliffhanger 13 5 days ago
UKIP Latest Victory 2 5 days ago
SUBTITLES FOR DEAF OR HARD OF HEARING 1873 5 days ago
Anyone else prefered TV when we only had a few channels? 16 6 days ago
Scrap the T.V. licence. Yes or no 369 7 days ago
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought 3 12 days ago

This discussion

Participants:  931
Total posts:  1776
Initial post:  17 Oct 2008
Latest post:  14 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 87 customers

Search Customer Discussions