Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

The most frightening T.V programme

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 185 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Jun 2010 23:22:34 BDT
M. Hart says:
Does anyone remember 'The Murder Game'? Now that was scary.

Posted on 14 Jun 2010 10:54:04 BDT
Debra Peirce says:
Don't remember THE MURDER GAME. When I was a lot younger and TV had just started showing in colour. The original SURVIVORS series was very scary and THREADS. I think it was because we believed a Third world war was imminent, or so we were lead to believe. As a child I was terrified of one DR WHO series which had a monster in it like a t-rex. I couldn't sleep. I made my sister sleep in the bed nearest to a certain cupboard so if it got out of that cupboard it would get her first. I was a lovely sister like that. Now I find most TV quite pathetic.

Posted on 15 Jun 2010 11:46:48 BDT
The early earlier cybermen (Troughton era) used to creep me out: they could be anywhere, jumping out of London sewers, etc. and had that callow, synthetic voice. Later, more humanised, versions made them too sympathetic both vocally and aesthetically, and failed in the surprise elements. The only NuWho creature that comes close is the lonely child.

But the ultimate fear factor for me was provided by The Mad Death - about a rabies outbreak in Great Britain, there was this amazing scene where a mad cat lady had locked a woman in creepy house full of neglected cats, all you could hear was hisses, growls and the crunching of carcasses being trodden underfoot.

Sapphire and Steel had its moments too, particularly with the faceless people.

Posted on 15 Jun 2010 14:52:10 BDT
I thing "The Jerry Springer" show is the scariest. The scary part is that enough people actually enjoy watching it for the show to continue airing season after season ...

Posted on 15 Jun 2010 16:42:49 BDT
J.Yasimoto says:
Excluding all the stuff I used to watch when I was 7 (everything was scary then), the X-Files Series 4 episode Home spooked me out.

Posted on 15 Jun 2010 22:10:52 BDT
Fifi says:
the Omega man - can't remember what it was about but I remember I was scared stiff!

Posted on 16 Jun 2010 13:35:05 BDT
I. Young says:
The faceless nun on the squeaky rocking chair fin Armchair Thriller
The creepy HTV children's series Children of the Stones
David Soul in Salem's Lot

Posted on 17 Jun 2010 12:50:07 BDT
i remember the murder game i thought it was brill

Posted on 22 Jun 2010 13:51:44 BDT
I remember a show called 'Journey to the Unknown' mainly because the intro music used to terrify me and usually that's the part that did the most with all that ghostly whistling happening. You can hear it on youtube.

Posted on 22 Jun 2010 14:04:48 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Jun 2010 15:56:06 BDT
Modzilla says:
The BBC M.R. James adaptation 'Whistle and I'll come my lad' with Michael Horden or any of the other 70's
Ghost Stories for Christmas.

Posted on 23 Jun 2010 20:03:52 BDT
The demon headmaster without a doubt.

Posted on 24 Jun 2010 10:22:07 BDT
I think it was a programme called Ghost Watch which featured Michael Parkinson, Keith Chegwin and Sarah Greene - it was a documentary style programme on a supposedly haunted house - made as a real programme - and the ending of that has stuck with me for 20 years nearly.........probably wouldn't be very scary now of course!

Posted on 25 Jun 2010 17:17:43 BDT
R. J. Ashley says:
The room 101 scene from 1984
Quatermass 2

Posted on 25 Jun 2010 19:26:39 BDT
'The Nightmare Man' of 1981, written by the best writer of Dr Who Robert Holmes, was a decent chiller. Particularly for any unassuming 10 year old at the time, such as myself. The fact that it was shown at prime time & never repeated also says something. I have the DVD & although it doesn't quite compare with the Beeb's version of 'Day of the Triffids' from the same year, it still stands up very well.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jun 2010 10:34:10 BDT
dean sam says:
sapphire asnd steel now that was scary especially the one on the train station

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jun 2010 20:18:30 BDT
Mark53 says:
i remember 'mad death' it was brilliant. I remember them rounding up the local dogs to destroy them and how upset i was!

Posted on 27 Jun 2010 21:13:29 BDT
fairy queen says:
Threads was horrific , it remains to this day the most disturbing thing I have ever seen.Salems lot and Tales of the Unexpected were pretty intense too. I seem to remember the theme music for the Mad death was really creepy and yes Ghostwatch scared the beejesus out of me!

Posted on 27 Jun 2010 21:21:00 BDT
fairy queen says:
Oh yes the Xfiles had some brilliant creepy eps including a superb one about a little boy who did not have a soul that was as chilling as any horror film I have ever seen . Supernatural consistantly fires out some really good ones with the best being "family remains" about a young girl who was walled up alive by her peadophile father, and we cannot forget Dr who-now I never watched it as a kid, but the Blink episode was one of the best bits of chilling drama I have ever seen, and just goes to show you dont need gallons of blood and gore to make something scary!

Posted on 30 Jun 2010 09:07:14 BDT
Mr. R. Lamb says:
i saw Quatermass and the pit as a student (the tv version, not the hammer film), and i thought the part where they are about to get into the bomb/spaceship was one of the most effective and tense pieces of sci fi horror ive ever seen. amazing. very little modern tv compares; shock value is not the same as genuine horror/tension.

Posted on 1 Jul 2010 10:04:16 BDT
dogme says:
The Stone Tapes, by Nigel Kneale. Whistle and I'll come to you was pretty good, as were most of the MR James adaptations. And The Signalman, a Dickens adaptation, check it out if you don't believe me.

Posted on 1 Jul 2010 14:36:02 BDT
Quatermass and the Pit.

Scared the pants off me when I was a kid.

Posted on 1 Jul 2010 20:19:22 BDT
C.HOWARD says:
TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on 1 Jul 2010 21:47:27 BDT
Dogmatix says:
Two others have mentioned it and I have to fully endorse their choice of "Quatermass and the pit", I was about 12 when it was shown on black and white BBC television, I think that the monochrome pictures added to the overall eeriness of it and the background music completed the scare factor, in those days, anything to do with space and aliens was frightening especially to us impressionable kids, we only had to hear the theme music at the start and it was behind the sofa time.

Posted on 2 Jul 2010 10:26:50 BDT
Boris Karloff's "Thriller", and "Mystery and Imagination" especially the episode called "The Tractate Middoth", this apparition looked like a scruffy old man from the back but when he turned round his face was cobwebs, with a spider on where his cheek should be, gasp shudder.

Posted on 2 Jul 2010 12:07:49 BDT
They have both been mentioned already, but the armchair thriller 'quiet as a nun' and the train station in 'sapphire and steel' frightened the living daylights out of me (in my defence I was a child at the time)

The TV adaptaion of 'the woman in black' was pretty scary, too.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the television discussion forum (628 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  120
Total posts:  185
Initial post:  13 Jun 2010
Latest post:  18 Feb 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions