Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

Tv Shows you HATED... for weird reasons

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 49 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Jun 2009 14:32:12 BDT
Dean Fuller says:
Tv Shows you HATED... for weird reasons....

such as...
a programme you`ve never really seen but you know you could never watch it cos the main actor looks like someone you know,
an old teacher or something....

(don`t blame me if this a rubbish subject, I stole this idea from a radio chat show, it worked quite well on there)

Posted on 27 Jun 2009 22:12:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Jun 2009 22:13:28 BDT
Nogz says:
Apparently as a (very) young child I used to freak at Space 1999 cos the actors looked scary.

I still wont watch it btw, but that's more because it's rubbish lol.

Posted on 28 Jun 2009 12:56:22 BDT
Anything with ex soap actors.

Posted on 28 Jun 2009 14:30:21 BDT
Paul Sampson says:
Dynasty. I accidentally faltered into the middle of an episode once and was so stunned by its awfulness I felt as if I were being pushed out of the room by it. Which made it nearly impossible to change the channel.

Posted on 28 Jun 2009 23:51:15 BDT
C. Drain says:
As a rule I am fairly consistent about shows I hate - Soap Operas for the insult to everyones intelligence. But the one recent shows I have a dislike of have to be the new BBC 1 Saturday night shows that are not Doctor Who - Robin Hood is passable but Merlin is just bad however Bone Kickers was beyond terrible badly written, the characters are bad, the stories are bad and the endings did not make sense. I am sure that in years to come there will be a drinking game involving the lines of BoneKickers : "Don't mess with me, I'm an archaeologist!
'Remove your stringy buttocks from my dig'?
"Archaeology is all about layers"
" Now, PLEASE can we go to the pub..." - which was what everyone was saying after seeing the first episode.

Posted on 29 Jun 2009 01:36:12 BDT
Sally Foster says:
Star Trek TNG. My friend talked me into renting the DVDs from our local library after he discovered I had never watched the show. I couldn't get pass the first couple of episodes, the plots were stupid and the dialog just painful. I couldn't watch Friends because I couldn't stand all that high pitched squealing that the female actresses did everytime something remotely interesting happened to them.

Posted on 29 Jun 2009 10:11:24 BDT
67Impala says:
HATE soap operas. Because they are there. English, Australian or American, they are all the same. They are a total waste of TV time. Are they entertaining? NO. Are they educational? NO (unless you want to know how to rob someone, kill someone, blow something up, commit fraud or kill yourself). Are they even speaking in a known language most of the time? NO! It Used to be at one time (the UK ones) they had various characters of varying dispositions but now; man, everyone is depressed, suicidal, a murderer, an adulterer a criminal or just too stupid to be alive. Even Coronation Street... and, oh yeah, what's wrong with "Coronation Street", why is it now "Corrie" can't people get past one syllable wording? Are the people who watch this crap THAT stupid?!

Posted on 30 Jun 2009 11:15:35 BDT
Not sure this counts as a weird reason, but 24 is starting to irritate me with its constant background music (or incidental music) appearing almost non stop. I seems to be on all the time even in scenes with just two characters chatting to each other have to be accompanied by an irritating "ding ding ding" piano melody or that stupid "presidential" music whenever the president walks into a room. I still like the show but think it would work just as well without it or at least much less of it.

Posted on 1 Jul 2009 12:23:57 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
Eastenders - partly because Barbara Windsor's giggle makes me wince, partly because Phil Mitchell looks like a baked spud...
Big Brother - in part due to Davina McCall's manic shrieking
Dr Who - Tom Baker's mad eyes
Holby City - I just dont like the name 'Holby' just like I would never date a girl called Enid or eat food that looks like pus e.g. mayo.
Hollyoaks - because the girls all look like Stepford Wife mannequins. Their physical perfection is freakily plastic
Any show where the theme tune features Yorkshire type brass band music
Star Trek, Babylon 5 etc - I get strangely wound up by scenes featuring intergalactic conferences between Earthings, ambassadors from Zorg 5 discussing issues about working for peace in the Cosmos. All very intense and pompous. Same reason why the 1st Star Wars prequel was such pants.

Posted on 2 Jul 2009 10:08:48 BDT
S. Twomey says:
I hated Back beauty as a child because they were always beating the horse. I was terrified of the incredible hulk. I hate soap operas since the white seventy something patriarch in DYNASTY discovered he had a long lost fifty something black twin sister. TWIN. My credibility barrier had been broken and I can never watch them again.
I hate when people argue in interviews either celebrity or political. I also hate gore.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jul 2009 12:35:50 BDT
yorkrose26 says:
Bagpuss.
The first scene use to freak me out when I was a child and it still has bad connertations for me now. It was the first scene when they were in the shop and the voiceover, it use to give kinda scare me.
Also Willo the wisp, Kenneth Williams, the bit that use to scare me was at the end of the show when the television use to switch itself of (bear in mind I was only young), to this day I still have nightmares of a television switching of on its own and the voice (the voice is speaking gibberish but that is not the point) speaking.
The last one is the origional Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with Gene Wilder, I find him very very freaky and scary in that role (this is suppose to be a childrens film?), I still won't watch it even though I have the DVD (it was a bargin and I thought it would cure me of my idiocy (if that is a word). But it hasn't I can watch the first bit but then as soon as he comes on I have to switch it off. Daft I know.
Sorry that is three but all three are my all time top three must 'not for me' shows.

Posted on 2 Jul 2009 20:38:38 BDT
J. Controls says:
If you think them Soap's are bad then you should see Fair City, Ireland's main Soap. Extraordinarily bad, you have no idea.

Posted on 2 Jul 2009 22:22:21 BDT
C. hammond says:
any reality tv show,because they're almost always hosted by and star the most stupid irritating people in the world

Posted on 3 Jul 2009 00:50:43 BDT
Dawsons Creek. One Tree Hill. Anything whatsoever to do with angsty teenagers trying to teach the world the lessons of life. Get over yourself....

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2009 12:37:35 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Jul 2009 12:39:07 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
Too right. Dunno how I'd forgotten these and the grandaddy of them all 90210 Beverley Hills. Funny how in these and in Aussie soaps teens are always full-on intense and heavy about their own relationships but don't seem to give a toss about the rest of the world. Then again maybe that's what teens are like these days.

Posted on 3 Jul 2009 15:27:19 BDT
If ever there was a TV show that looked like the creators had sat down and specifically tried to tick every box of my own personal tastes, it would be 'Heroes'. I was SO excited about this show before it started. I then watched the first episode and found I wasn't enjoying it. I figured I'd give it a chance rather than write it off after a solitary outing, so I forced myself to watch episodes two through five. After five installments, however, I just had to give up. I couldn't stand it and I really have very little idea as to why...

Posted on 3 Jul 2009 20:29:02 BDT
Fingerbobs - the guy that presented the show - bald and a beard! - when I was younger I just thought that's weird also the fingerbob i.e. finger puppets were rubbish and he sang songs - horrible - i was just bored

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2009 20:57:17 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Jul 2009 21:01:40 BDT
I have an intense dislike of adverts, which puts me off a lot of the TV shows they slice into. That's why I tend to stick mostly to the BBC. Not a problem, as many of their shows are worthy. Actually, and feel free to take a pop, adverts are a completely unnatural thing, with regard to decent drama. They've been around forever and I know the function they serve, but still I hate them.

More specifically, I absolutely hate reality tv shows that treat us like ameobas with short-attention spans that can't even be measured. Walls, blindfolds and guns spring rapidly to mind - and the thought lasts a good deal longer than 7 seconds.

Posted on 4 Jul 2009 23:17:23 BDT
Matt Horan says:
Lost.
I think its really overrated, and drags on so much.
The first series wasn't too bad, but it just went down hill after that, glad the next series will be the last. :)

Posted on 5 Jul 2009 07:27:24 BDT
Natasha S says:
Heroes because of Ali Larter as Nikki/Jessica/Tracey whatever her name is.

Posted on 6 Jul 2009 13:23:46 BDT
Dr Who- The main reason I didn't even consider watching it was because I saw that Billie Piper was in it and I CAN'T STAND that woman. I don't even know whyI can't stand her... I think it's her face that annoys me. After she left the show, I attempted to watch an episode but 10 minutes in I switched channels because the special effects are absolutely ridiculous and the monsters are equally pathetic. I also didn't like how every major end-of-the-world event appears to occur in London and they always manage to get a cheeky wee camera shot of the London Eye in there. Urgh.
Emmerdale/Eastenders- way too dreary and way too depressing. Also a little trashy! I think the guys in this show need to cheer up a bit.
Family Guy/ South Park- Didn't even bother trying to watch these as the cartoon characters look really creepy.
the hills- I tried to watch about 5 minutes of this but it was dull.... just dull. It also seems a little dumb and two-dimensional.

Posted on 7 Jul 2009 07:09:20 BDT
JD says:
Friends - a bunch of pathetic posers with no acting ability whatsoever.

Posted on 7 Jul 2009 09:51:56 BDT
Chris says:
Friends, - too corny, Big Brother - as I was watching it one night when I couldn't sleep and and they were asleep! Hospital dramas - don't have the stomach for that sort of thing, and same goes for gory crime dramas. Britain's got talent since Stavros Flattery won the semi final - aarrgghh!

Posted on 7 Jul 2009 14:39:40 BDT
C. L. Sibley says:
I know it's probably not cool to admit this but I can never take Torchwood seriously. I just can't get over the idea that the fate of the world, and sometimes even the whole universe, routinely rests on the team of colleagues at a Cardiff based institution. Of all the places in the world...

... not that I am sure Cardiff is not a lovely place; it's just not the first thing when you think of "sci fi heroes".

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jul 2009 15:50:46 BDT
Well as a huge fan of Doctor Who it's going to be a rough ride for me as Matt Smither, who's taking over from Tennant, just reminds me of someone I know who's extremely annoying and I can't help but dislike him before he's even started!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the television discussion forum (638 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  40
Total posts:  49
Initial post:  27 Jun 2009
Latest post:  2 Apr 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions