Customer Discussions > software discussion forum

which antivirus?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 91 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Aug 2009 03:44:52 BDT
plantshateme says:
HELP!! My mcaffee subscription is coming to an end and I have no Idea what to replace it with. Been told that because I have an old laptop it would be better to use the windows firewall, and just buy and anti virus. Obviously havnt got a clue please help!

Posted on 31 Aug 2009 17:53:28 BDT
TJC says:
Ive used the free antivirus from AVG on two computers for several years and never had a problems.

Posted on 31 Aug 2009 20:08:37 BDT
The only one to use is ESET smart security. It is true that you get what you pay for. I continually have people bring me their computers for rescue because they wanted to save a few quid by cheaping out on free programs. Google ESET for reviews and you will see that it is the top protection for many years running now. There is a reason they give programs such as mcafee and norton away, and its not because they are any good. And as a bonus it takes way less resources for your pc to run it so you will notice an improvement in your pc right away.

Posted on 31 Aug 2009 20:17:36 BDT
Peter Coupe says:
I've been using avast! for a couple of years now. It's free for home use, and seems to work really well.
It has pulled me off a few web sites sharpish when it suspected dodgy dealings going on in the background, and has a feature that enables you to allow (or not) updates, file renaming and many other types of access that can pass you by unnoticed once you have subscribed to the 'auto update' feature that appears on so many software offerings these days.

Posted on 1 Sep 2009 08:24:11 BDT
Nicki says:
I have tried Norton, Macafeee,Zonealarm, and AVG Had problems with the first two. Norton ate up memory and slowed down my compute rmassively. Macaffee was Ok, but wanted to get a full security bundle, and found it less efficient, and less intuitive, and had some compatibility issues with my Pc. However, that was Windows Me, and I have not tried it with XP which I have happily used for 4 years. Zonealarm 's antivirus was I thought excellent- during a free trial period of 3 months. But, when I purchased it I was for some reason given a slightly different version. This I imagined was simply a more up to date version. It was NOT intuitive as was the version I had trialled, and ver4y quickly had problems with understanding what I had to do. I telephoned and e-mailed repeatedly to make enquiries. If I got to speak to anyone on the telephone at all, it was always the same person, and he had not got a clue. The e-mails were equally unhelpful and slow to come. I read some reviews about AVG, and had I think 2 years free, completely worry free, and last May purchased a 2 year licence for approx 30.00 which includes free upgrades for that time, and it is so easy to use with simple interface. It does not use a lot of memory, and runs quietly in the background. I recommend it heartily, as someone who has experienced a few anti virus programs.

Posted on 1 Sep 2009 10:32:36 BDT
I would always recommend Kaspersky, the program is very efficient, does not slow the system down and stops nearly all nasties from getting through it. The Firewall is easy to configure and the spam mail function actually works.

I am a self employed Computer Engineer and have been working with in the trade for 16 years, Norton always used to be the best until about 2003 when it bombed out and became a memory guzzler of the very worst kind. Panda was ok for a while but the engine got bigger and the protection level went down. Zonelabs suite is very good but can slow down the startup of Windows systems. AVG and Avast are both good little systems, avast has a tendancy to let some of the Vundo varients through and the newest AVG product slowed several systems down dramatically. ESAT Nod32 is a fair system but again lets too many things through.

I have installed Kaspersky on well over 300 systems and very rarely get any problems with them, the only real phonecalls I get about Kaspersky is people wanting to renew the licence.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Sep 2009 14:29:46 BDT
Robin Weeks says:
I use bullguard for over 5years update ever day with no problemsBullGuard Internet Security version 8.5, 3 user license, 1 year subscription (PC)

Posted on 2 Sep 2009 21:11:22 BDT
plantshateme says:
Thanks for the advice.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Sep 2009 09:40:10 BDT
SupremeDalek says:
Have used Norton (rubbish), F-Secure (good but impossible to uninstall), and Kapersky (good and using currently). However when my Kap license expires I'll opt for Eset's NOD32 as Mark Pearce above recommends, as it is without question the best. At the end of the day you pays yer money (or opt for free with associated risk) and makes yer choice!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2009 16:00:22 BDT
J. R. Wills says:
Avira.com
This is what has been recommended by colleagues in my place of work, it seems to tick all the boxes

Regards

JW

Posted on 6 Sep 2009 16:30:22 BDT
Mike10613 says:
F-secure has always been good but the 2009 version was too memory hungry. I had to disable the firewall. I have a firewall in my router so it wasn't a great loss. I have had it replaced free with the 2010 version, which is lean and mean. It uses a lot less memory for both anti virus and firewall. It's worth buying and you can get a discount if you buy a 2 year subscription to take you up to 2011.

Posted on 7 Sep 2009 02:58:06 BDT
McStick says:
AVG is useless these days, as it's a memory guzzler. Norton was terrible up to and including the 2008 version, but since the 2009 version, it's been much quicker. These day's, I'd say it's a toss up between Norton and Kaspersky.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Sep 2009 20:21:46 BDT
Mojo says:
I used AVG free edition

Posted on 14 Sep 2009 12:57:22 BDT
RussH says:
Sophos

Reasuringly expensive.

Posted on 20 Sep 2009 20:19:04 BDT
Q says:
F-Secure was F-Awful. Used too much system resource - power memory don't know but the PC ran like a dog on it. Norton nuked my PC, although this was years ago now. But my brother had Norton do the same thing with a newer version. I use Trend. No appreciable loss of speed, gets on with the job in the background, has safe-web page indicators and parental controls. I'm happy with it.

Posted on 20 Sep 2009 21:27:51 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 20 Sep 2009 21:29:21 BDT]

Posted on 21 Sep 2009 19:05:29 BDT
I have Kaspersky installed in my computer. I recently purchased when this one runs out. Excellent product, has saved lots of "nasties" getrting into my computer. Needs free updating frequently as it keeps up to date with all the current trojans etc. I sound like a salesman but I am just an ordinary person on a limited income. Mcafee most certainly slow your computer down unlike Kapersky

Posted on 22 Sep 2009 06:09:08 BDT
Jordie Woo says:
BitDefender is recommended by IT Reviews - see http://www.itreviews.co.uk/software/s800.htm Verdict - The low price point rounds off this package and we'd still consider this to be one of the best alternatives to more expensive, more established suites such as Norton 360.

Posted on 25 Sep 2009 20:22:05 BDT
AVG Free Version or with a little donation the AVG Professional. I've been usşng it on my notebooks and company PC's for the last 7 years and never got a virus !
But I must admit, I'm careful on the websites, suspicious mails and free softwares. Most important thing is the precaution !

Posted on 25 Sep 2009 22:50:58 BDT
S. J. Brown says:
Avira by a Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiile

Posted on 29 Sep 2009 11:41:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Sep 2009 11:43:26 BDT
Jordie Woo says:
Web User magazine (24 Sept) gives BitDefender Total Security 2010 a four star rating: Verdict: You can't really put a price on protecting your PC and there is a lot in this suite for your money. Free software exists if you are willing to sort it out yourself, but with its multi-layered user accounts for different levels of competency and its good recent record in external tests* this suite is solid trustworthy and easy to use. * References AV Test .org www.avtest.org Virus Bulletin www.virusbtn.com

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Sep 2009 14:53:03 BDT
Mark Russell says:
I have bit defender running on vista, it has had quite a few problems though. I find as long as you leave your pc running all the time it does all it should and well. However if you boot your machine down for even a few days, on re start I have had problems with it not wanting to update, and all of the scan button functions totally ignoring you request. It has meant faffing about with patches from bit defender to correct. At the end of the day what we all really want from an anti virus solution is a fit and forget software that does its job and does not give you hassle in doing so. I will be going back to Kaspersky next time.

Posted on 1 Oct 2009 08:12:32 BDT
Grifter says:
Microsoft have recently released MS security essentials. It's available for free and seems to have had some good reviews so far (one of which is below).

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/09/first-look-microsoft-security-essentials-impresses.ars

Provided the feedback about it remains good, I'm planning to try it out when my current ESET Smart Security subscription expires at the end of the year. So long as it does the job without impacting my system performance (like some other well known AV solutions) I'll be happy.

Posted on 1 Oct 2009 17:15:15 BDT
K. Meadows says:
Try ZoneAlarm, I use it for my business, works well, doesn't seem to slow up the computer - try it

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2009 05:59:19 BDT
Gadget Man says:
zonealarm internet security is an exellent program just install it and leave it you dont need to do a thing the default settings are pretty good, another good program is bitdefender. To get a good idea on what program would be good for you have a looks on www.toptenreviews.com hope this helps.
P.S Another good security program is Kaspersky.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the software discussion forum (68 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Home Finance Software for Mac 54 7 Feb 2014
WebPlus X6 [Download] 0 10 Aug 2013
Canon powershot G15 and Elements 0 27 Jul 2013
verson 1 27 Jul 2013
Creating a Business Logo in Photoshop 2 26 Jul 2013
Software 13 20 Jul 2013
which antivirus? 90 5 May 2013
Mac Vs. PC 300 4 May 2013
rar file extraction 2 5 Apr 2013
Photoshop Classes London 2 6 Mar 2013
Always be aware of free versions! 0 13 Jan 2013
which anti virus for android tablets would you recommend ? 1 18 Aug 2012

This discussion

Discussion in:  software discussion forum
Participants:  71
Total posts:  91
Initial post:  31 Aug 2009
Latest post:  5 May 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions