Customer Discussions > software discussion forum

Home Finance Software for Mac

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 56 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2011 21:21:31 GMT
they have informed me that there is no mac equivalent. So that is that. If you do happened to find a good mac program please advise. Thanks

Peter Fairclough

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2011 21:21:35 GMT
they have informed me that there is no mac equivalent. So that is that. If you do happened to find a good mac program please advise. Thanks

Peter Fairclough

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2011 21:21:39 GMT

Peter Fairclough

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2011 21:47:57 GMT
Spedegue says:
Will do. I live in hope.

Posted on 24 Jan 2011 17:32:38 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Mar 2011 07:44:20 GMT
GeeTee says:
First, I apologise for the length of this - but you may find it helpful.

Looking for a Quicken for Windows replacement? This could be the answer.

I have been using Quicken for Windows for about 20 years, currently on Q 2000 basic. My needs are simple - no stock or bank downloads - just a simple cashbook. For years the difficulty of migrating Quicken to Mac stopped me from buying a Mac. Last year I took the plunge regardless. After a couple of false starts, I won't bore you with the saga of trying to get meaningful support from Intuit, I settled on iBank.

Let me point out that you will be using this in a Mac environment, so the look and feel will be different from Windows. Ibank is more like iTunes. For example, Add and Delete buttons are + and - buttons in a tool bar at the bottom of the pane. It's a bit like getting a new dishwasher - everything looks strange at first but you soon get used to it.

To start with iBank successfully imported my Quicken .QIF file. Balances were correct all the way through. Categories, I have many, were successfully imported. One quirk here is that iBank has a rather restrictive list of 8 transaction types, ATM, POS, withdrawal, etc. You cannot make up your own transaction types.

It is possible to set up scheduled transactions with periods of every week, month, quarter or year. I do miss the Quicken facility to specify "days in advance to notify" but the iBank "Forecast" feature makes up for this with a more sophisticated graph than Quicken's. The iBank forecast graph has a list of preset date ranges plus custom dates. A good feature of the graph is a "hat pin" device that you drag along the graph to show the high, low and balance status for every day in the graph.

Backing up your data can be done on the hard disk or, preferably, to a USB stick (or if you want to subscribe to Apple's MobileMe service onto the internet - not for me!). Restoring from backup is strange compared with Quicken. Ibank writes a new zip file every time you run a backup, so you will accumulate lots of them, old ones can be deleted. To restore a file you drag a zip file to the desktop then double click to unzip, then double click the resulting file to start up iBank.

A 455 page User Manual can be downloaded as a pdf file. There is an "app" available for iPod Touch and iPhone. This does work but can be tricky to use as it is very sequence sensitive between Mac and iPod/iPhone. Support is good, requests to them have been responded to promptly, often the same day, and sensibly. My request that overdrawn events be highlighted in red, as well a "-" sign has been added to user requests database.

So - definitely worth a trial. It can be downloaded as a fully functional 30 free trial. I purchased it from Amazon after a month of parallel running with Quicken. One point to watch here - the Amazon version was iBank 4.0.2 whereas the latest version is 4.1.2 - you will need to run the update.

Update -
I've been parallel running iBank and Quicken for 2 months now. I now have confidence in iBank and have "jumped ship" from Quicken.

Posted on 4 Mar 2011 08:15:12 GMT
j s says:
Many thanks for detailed review.

Anyone got similar helpful explanations of iBank usage for UK users, and/or any issues that it has...?
...Oh, and how simple is iBank for a complete novice to finance software?

Thanks in advance.
(ps. BTW, iBank is available in the Mac App Store now.)

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2011 10:01:39 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Mar 2011 10:03:51 GMT
GeeTee says:
Generally speaking these personal finance manager (pfm) programmes are easier to set up from scratch than to try to convert from another pfm.
The usual way is to start with your latest bank statement, from which you start with the opening balance. Then you set up scheduled transactions based on known items like mortgage, salary etc etc. Then expand to include longer term scheduled transactions like TV licence and car tax.
Then set up "budget" items of the more unpredictable nature such as grocery shopping and pocket money (beer money?)
All of these can be allocated a category, pfm's usually come with preset categories plus you can create your own tailored to your situation.

With credit cards you can set up a seperate account for each one, entering spending as you go - iBank will show your rolling balance. Then in your current account set up whatever you want to pay as a transfer on the due date - iBank does the transfer between accounts so you can see the results.

The big advantage of these pfms is to ability to see where you stand and to look ahead at what is coming at you, This is where the forecast feature really shines.
With iBank click on "new report" in the top toolbar. Select "forecast" , then specify a date range e.g. "this year". Then click on "done". The resulting graph (strangely iBank takes about 10 seconds to process this) will show you how the year will pan out, especially any crisis points. You can experiment with "what if" scenarios.
For example, if you decide to change the car and the repayments will be £300 pm can you afford it? If you can't then delete the scenario.

So - yes iBank is OK for novices, it will depend on how complicated your financial situation is. What I would say is don't try to do too much in one go. If you get frustrated leave it and come back to it another day. It will take a while to get it tuned precisely to your needs - but it surely is worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2011 13:14:12 GMT
Phil C says:
After many false starts I have moved away from MS Money (by far the best personal finance software I have used - why doesn't somebody pick up on it now that MS no longer support it?). I am now quite happy with iBank - I find that it is the closest I have found to MS Money (probably 80% as good). I can now use my MAC totally instead of switching to Windows for Money software.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Apr 2011 11:37:27 BDT
Tripper says:
Same boat here in Aussie. Been a Quicken user since the days of DOS and still a user currently use the 2011 plus. Have migrated to Mac Book Pro investigated Mac finance software but note no version of quicken for Mac . . . Yet!
So, I partitioned the drive and run windows version of Quicken in that partition. Guess that was the only option then but will consider the change to a Mac version when it arrives. Surprising why that platform isn't being considered when the penetration is increasing by Mac users

Posted on 3 May 2011 19:28:28 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 May 2011 19:28:46 BDT
K. Grundy says:
I too have been a long time MS Money User, ever since 1994, and had difficulty finding a Mac replacement. I too finally settled on iBank but I am currently using version 3. I tried a trial copy of version 4 but didn't like the new look so I switched back to version 3 where I will stay. It does what I need and is probably as close to Microsoft Money as you will get for the Mac.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 May 2011 19:36:40 BDT
Hi Geoffrey,
I have also used Quicken for years and changed to Personal Accountz for the last 3 or 4 years,now this year I came across a personal money programme called AceMoney it is an American programme, quite adaptable for our currency, it can be downloaded for a free 30 day trial before you buy, will also run on a MAC, I find it far better for my purposes than either of the other two I have mentioned, as to where do you find a copy of Windows 98SE, I have one which I would sell, I would advise downloading AceMoney first well satisfied myself.

Regards

Clifford Bates

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jan 2012 21:37:45 GMT
J. E. Adams says:
I've been using Money Manager for years. Agreed a brilliant simple piece of software. I rang them last year and they hadn't even considered doing a Mac version. A great pity as there's a crying need for it (or something like it)

Posted on 6 Jan 2012 18:32:20 GMT
Changes in the market place :
http://www.software.co.uk/publisher/intuit/news/mint-online

Any UK equivalent for www.mint.com is a only a matter of time

Posted on 6 Jan 2012 18:35:02 GMT
Watch out for new changes in the market place:

http://www.software.co.uk/publisher/intuit/news/mint-online

It is a matter of time before UK has or already has an equivalent service similar to www.mint.com Watch the video to the overview

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2012 22:46:05 GMT
Tynesider says:
Anyone considered iFinance for mac? I did not bother to import my data from MS Money even though I could have done it as a comma separated file. I just started from scratch and kept the Money files in Windows using Boot Camp.
IFinance is quite adequate or pure home finances to keep a check on various bank accounts and some other investments.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Mar 2012 15:30:07 GMT
Last edited by the author on 10 Mar 2012 15:31:24 GMT
Money ManagerEx is available for Mac, Windows, Linux. It's a nice program. Could be improved UI wise but it's FREE

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Aug 2012 14:42:59 BDT
Yes, there's Quicken Essentials for Mac. A good basic home accounts program and you can import your data from PC Quicken.

Posted on 12 Mar 2013 08:46:06 GMT
Kate says:
I switched from quicken to personal accountz when I changed to a laptop which ran Vista. Now have a MacBook Pro and still running accountz. I would like something I can use on ipad as well, that will sync between it and the Mac. Any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Mar 2013 09:44:52 GMT
GeeTee says:
Hi Kate
It's not clear whether you set up Accountz from scratch or managed to migrate your Quicken data to it (congratulations if you did - I gave up!). Would you be wanting to migrate either your Quicken or Accountz data to iBank?
I found that iBank managed the migration from Quicken. I have been using iBank for over 2 years on a Macbook Pro and am well satisfied with it. In addition I have the iBank mobile app on an iPhone. It is quite comprehensive showing the status of your accounts and you can look in detail at past data. You can add transactions as you shop, which is useful, which you can sync with your Macbook. The mobile app does not do reports but that shouldn't be a problem as you can do that on your Macbook. There is an app for iPad which I am assuming is pretty similar.

For more details on iBank see my previous posts.

Posted on 14 Mar 2013 10:25:58 GMT
Kate says:
Hiya

I'd be migrating from Personal Accountz as had to give up Quicken 4 years ago :-(
(actually did manage to migrate from quicken to accountz!)

Kate

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2013 23:11:15 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 14 Mar 2013 23:14:18 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2013 23:13:50 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 14 Mar 2013 23:14:31 GMT]

Posted on 5 May 2013 00:53:58 BDT
K. Grundy says:
I used Microsoft Money on the PC since the early 90's and tried iBank for a while on the Mac. I now use Moneywiz which works great and has versions for Mac, iPhone & iPad, and syncs perfectly. The support is fantastic and they're always willing to listen to idea's for new features, a few of which they have implemented in recent updates. Well worth a look. I actually bought all 3 versions which are all available on the App Store.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2013 15:45:28 BDT
A. E. Lacey says:
I got rid of my pc as windows was a load of c*** since they killed off the best one which was XP.I tried a lot of finance programmes on my mac and the best one in my view is definitely iBank. the instructions could be better and apart from this it is a 5 star product

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Aug 2013 14:10:58 BDT
Lee says:
I used Microsoft Money for years. I have a new laptop(Windows 8) & want an equivalent for MM. I have all MM data backed up on USB but have been told this won't be compatible with Windows 8. Any suggestions?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the software discussion forum (68 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Home Finance Software for Mac 55 3 Sep 2014
WebPlus X6 [Download] 0 10 Aug 2013
Canon powershot G15 and Elements 0 27 Jul 2013
verson 1 27 Jul 2013
Creating a Business Logo in Photoshop 2 26 Jul 2013
Software 13 20 Jul 2013
which antivirus? 90 5 May 2013
Mac Vs. PC 300 4 May 2013
rar file extraction 2 5 Apr 2013
Photoshop Classes London 2 6 Mar 2013
Always be aware of free versions! 0 13 Jan 2013
which anti virus for android tablets would you recommend ? 1 18 Aug 2012

This discussion

Discussion in:  software discussion forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  6 Jan 2009
Latest post:  3 Sep 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions