Customer Discussions > software discussion forum

Home Finance Software for Mac

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 55 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Jan 2009 11:46:02 GMT
I have just switched to Mac. For years I used Quicken and then Microsoft 'Money' for my home accounts, both excellent packages. Now I am stuck for a replacement. I particulalry want a pacakge that will transfer my files from 'Money' and that uses British functions. Has anyone tried iBank, which is being promoted as a beta version in USA?

Richard Iley

Posted on 6 Apr 2009 17:11:10 BDT
NeilC says:
Richard,

Only just saw your post so possibly too late, but the software to recommend is Personal Accountz. Work on Mac (as well as Linux and PC) and allows you to import your money files straight away. One of Amazon's marketplace vendors is selling it at 19.99 currently.

Personal Accountz (PC/Mac/Linux)

Regards

Neil

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Aug 2009 12:17:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Aug 2009 12:18:44 BDT
Blocci says:
I am in same position as your self, having been very satisfied with MS Money. On change to Mac I am using MyMoney downloaded from Apple business downloads. However although similar to MS Money I regret it is not up to those standards. I must give MTH Software credit as they are most helpful and are continually adding to the programme.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2009 08:02:56 BDT
Rushmere says:
I use iBank from IGG Software. There is a Mac version, plus a nice iPhone App which can be synchronised with your Mac. You can download a trial copy from IGG Software's website.

Posted on 4 Sep 2009 22:56:51 BDT
Brian Robson says:
I use MS Money on my Mac via Crossover software and works a treat. Do a search for Crossfire and you will see how it works.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Sep 2009 10:17:02 BDT
You mean Crossover, don't you, not Crossfire? Crossfire is something altogether different.

I'm on the lookout for a proper Mac version, something equivalent to Quicken 2001. I never upgraded from there as I didn't like the way Intuit were taking the product. So long as it allows me to import a full export of multiple accounts (or a backup, for that matter) and maintains them as separate accounts and a Portfolio of investments where I can update the bid prices, I really don't mind learning a new interface. If it's fundamentally based on the ledger principle, it's fine.

Any suggestions? iBank seems to only import single accounts

Posted on 23 Sep 2009 15:59:53 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 Sep 2009 14:24:11 BDT
j s says:
Me too :-(

What to use in the UK for personal finance? Mac OR Windows user is nackered, as far as I can see... As a Mac user I'm even having difficulty finding a_Windows_program to use inside a virtual machine (VMWare/Parallels)!?
- MS Money (Windows only) .......................... Gone. Probably the best solution has been removed from the market quite a while ago.
- Quicken for Mac (also do Win versions) ........ Old edition is rubbish/new 2010 edition which might be good is *US/CAN* only ...they withdrew their UK version 2 yrs ago, and offer/will offer NO uk support at all on any version, old or new?!
~ everything else ....................................... I don't know about, so is probably pointless.

Only options I've read about that sound like lesser options, and ALL are US focused though do support international use (how well though?):
- iBank 3 (Mac only, w/additional iPhone app) ..... Supposedly looks good (*very* mac GUI) and is internationalised, but many average or under-impressed reports from users -- anyone here like it?
- MoneyWell (Mac/Win/Lin) ............................... Looks average rubbish (GUI), with reports of very bad/confusing interface, yet supposedly quite stable... ?
- Moneydance (Mac/Win/Lin) ............................. Average, though very mixed reviews so unclear how good/bad... ?

Isn't keeping control of your money deemed quite an important thing 8-O
What gives, doesn't anyone use software to help control their personal finances. Spreadsheets can only do so much ... and regardless of retail online banking (which in the UK isn't all that), I'm confused as to why software's lacking in this area ?

Posted on 22 Jan 2010 22:17:53 GMT
C. Lawrance says:
I am thinking of switching to a MacBook from a PC but have 15+ years of data on Quicken. Is it possible to run Quicken on Windows for Mac?

Posted on 23 Jan 2010 12:31:46 GMT
Jabberwocky says:
Has anyone tried Money Manager? I use the business edition and find it very good both for domestic accounts and for the charity accounts that I am treasurer for. It never seems to get mentioned with the big boys but I find it great. I am not sure about Mac compatibility though. More info from www.moneysoft.co.uk.

Posted on 19 Feb 2010 14:07:22 GMT
N. Campbell says:
C. Lawrence -- If you want to keep the windows software then you can easily either run a copy of Windows in Mac Boot Camp (which requires restarting your Mac in Windows - a real pain to use) or from within the Mac OSX (much easier to switch windows etc.) using Parallels Desktop 5.0 English (Mac) or VMware Fusion 3 (Mac).

Posted on 9 Mar 2010 21:08:42 GMT
Has anyone managed to download to ibank from a uk bank? I've downloaded the trial software but it doesn't seem to support UK banks.

Posted on 17 Mar 2010 15:04:06 GMT
Yes, I downloaded into iBank straight from my bank account on their trial version (limited to 75 transactions though). Have you checked you are downloading in the right file format?

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2010 16:21:35 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Mar 2010 16:24:28 GMT
H. Daniels says:
I am having the same problem - very happy with Microsoft Money using old laptop.
Changed to a Mac & tried Personal Accountz - not up to the standard.
Have bought new laptop & considering Sage as Microsoft website confirms compatible with Windows 7, but very expensive for home banking. Contacted their customer service to check if MS Money data importable...awaiting reply

Posted on 11 May 2010 10:49:16 BDT
I have also been using Quicken UK in all its incarnations since 1993. I was very annoyed that they just upped sticks and ran away from what should have been a lucrative UK market. Surely an opportunity for a shareware writer there?

I have recently gone over to Mac, but have found no suitable software on offer. Banktree is probably closest, but doesn't (yet) have the features that I'm used to in Quicken. Also, how can Quicken data be migrated to Banktree? Only by using QIF Files?

Only answer seems to be to use Windows on the Mac to run legacy software, but I don't want to waste disk space (and money) installing Windows 7 Professional (with XP rollback). Ideally I only need Windows 98SE, but where can I find a copy of that to buy?

Posted on 17 Sep 2010 23:45:51 BDT
Zakaria Khan says:
nnn

Posted on 23 Sep 2010 09:54:11 BDT
I'm running Quicken 2001 via windows 7 and parallels desktop 4 with no problems at all. It's a bit of a faff, but seems the best compromise to me.

Posted on 23 Sep 2010 14:29:23 BDT
Spedegue says:
I switched to an iMac last year. One of my major concerns was how to continue running MS Money which I have used for 10+ years. It is an excellent piece of software and I really don't understand why why this market seems to have been abandoned by Microsoft and Apple. I bought a copy of VMWare Fusion 3 from the Apple store and a copy of Windows XP (Service Pack 3) from Amazon and now run MSMoney in the virtual machine. Yes, it is an expensive way to maintain MS Money, but it works extremely well. I was not impressed with the other options and did not want to switch from Money. For the future I will probably install Windows 7 and run MS Money on that when Microsoft withdraw support fulltime from XP.

Posted on 8 Nov 2010 17:06:57 GMT
alpstay says:
Have made the same switch after using Money for many years. Finally settled on Moneydance as I could import from Money and it can handle multi-currency accounts. Used trial version first to test but have now moved to full version.
Your reply to alpstay's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on 8 Nov 2010 17:07:31 GMT
alpstay says:
Have made the same switch after using Money for many years. Finally settled on Moneydance as I could import from Money and it can handle multi-currency accounts. Used trial version first to test but have now moved to full version.

Posted on 8 Nov 2010 17:07:40 GMT
alpstay says:

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Nov 2010 23:16:17 GMT
A. Dodd says:
MoneyWorks 5 Express

Just to throw one more idea into the pot - you could check out MoneyWorks - it's Mac and PC and fully scalable. You can try it for free from here - http://www.cognito.co.nz/

Just a thought - hope it's a useful suggestion.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2011 15:15:20 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Jan 2011 15:18:25 GMT
Have you had a satisfactory reply to this? This is precisely my own problem and no one seems to know the answer!

Peter Fairclough

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2011 21:01:49 GMT
Spedegue says:
I'm still using MS Money on VMWare. It works fine and I have still yet to find an equivalent MAC solution.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2011 21:21:16 GMT
they have informed me that there is no mac equivalent. So that is that. If you do happened to find a good mac program please advise. Thanks

Peter Fairclough

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2011 21:21:23 GMT
they have informed me that there is no mac equivalent. So that is that. If you do happened to find a good mac program please advise. Thanks

Peter Fairclough
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the software discussion forum (68 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Home Finance Software for Mac 54 7 Feb 2014
WebPlus X6 [Download] 0 10 Aug 2013
Canon powershot G15 and Elements 0 27 Jul 2013
verson 1 27 Jul 2013
Creating a Business Logo in Photoshop 2 26 Jul 2013
Software 13 20 Jul 2013
which antivirus? 90 5 May 2013
Mac Vs. PC 300 4 May 2013
rar file extraction 2 5 Apr 2013
Photoshop Classes London 2 6 Mar 2013
Always be aware of free versions! 0 13 Jan 2013
which anti virus for android tablets would you recommend ? 1 18 Aug 2012

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  software discussion forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  55
Initial post:  6 Jan 2009
Latest post:  7 Feb 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions