Customer Discussions > science fiction discussion forum

Blu-ray format types

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Jul 2014 19:18:05 BDT
kosh55 says:
Does anyone know why most blu-ray discs display the coding type as "AVC" and yet a few say "VC-1" like the Battlestar Galactica Blu-ray discs. Just wondering why there is a difference. Does anyone know?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2014 20:04:55 BDT
Garscadden says:
Blu-ray is the physical media, AVC / VC-1 is the video encoding.

MPEG-2 Part 2 is another valid format, I believe a video codec from Microsoft was also valid, but I don't think anyone uses it.

Short answer - it's pretty much irrelevant, if you are using a Blu-ray player.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2014 20:23:30 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Jul 2014 20:26:49 BDT
In essence they are two out of the several rival encoding formats. Both have evolved with many subclasses within the umbrella definition, and in the end do much the same job. The Wiki entries are actually quite good and informative, but are also very long and detailed - possibly too much so for the less technical amongst us.

VC-1 (H.263) was originally developed by Microsoft and others to be used with interlaced broadcast video and media format, except all our flat panel displays now are no longer interlaced.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VC-1

AVC (H.264) is favoured by the Broadcast and Film Industry and has a much higher compression algorithm than the H263 of VC-1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

Posted on 21 Jul 2014 14:54:42 BDT
kosh55 says:
Thanks guys, that is really useful. Difficult to stay up to date with all the latest standards!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jul 2014 17:17:17 BDT
Garscadden says:
Ahh, so i was 1/2 right about the MS format. I'd forgotten (obviously), that VC-1 originally came from them, silly me.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the science fiction discussion forum (546 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  19 Jul 2014
Latest post:  21 Jul 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions