Customer Discussions > science fiction discussion forum

Where are all the good Space Operas?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 99 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Feb 2009 11:38:18 GMT
H. Fulford says:
I love to read, fantasy, supernatural and plenty of what I consider Space Operas but comes under Science Fiction.
Plenty I've read in the past but no recent endevours.
Lois McMaster Bujold is a genious with Miles Vorkosigan
Anne McCaffery and the stunning Elizabeth Moon sagas.
TV seems to have found them in Battlestar Galactica and much loved and missed Firefly.
But why are they disappearing off our screens and off our shelves.

Posted on 18 Feb 2009 14:24:00 GMT
You should read Peter F. Hamilton's big doorstop space operas: The Reality Dysfunction, The Neutronium Alchemist, The Naked God, Pandora's Star, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2009 19:08:29 GMT
zargb5 says:
I agree with Micheal above, the best series i have read for a long time is the Peter Hamilton trilogy.
he's done another but i haven't got round to it yet. Also worthy of mention is Stephen baxter who has a couple of series out "manifold series" a trilogy and he also has the zeelee trilogy. Both well worth a read. Baxter is more in the tradition of Arthur C Clarke. Brian Aldiss did a decent series too sorry don't have the title at the moment.

Posted on 18 Feb 2009 19:55:56 GMT
Wally says:
Yep, Peter F. Hamilton's works are all worth a read and there's lots of it in big volumes too. Neil Asher has a good series going with the Polity novels and Iain M Banks of course (Man, I love the Culture novels...) although 'Matter' for me was a bit of a let down.

Posted on 18 Feb 2009 19:57:39 GMT
Adam Jackson says:
Have a look at Star Fleet - ok it's technically a kids show, but the puppetry & FX are excellent!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Feb 2009 22:06:40 GMT
Whiskey says:
Try the Mageworld series by Debra Doyle and James D. Macdonald

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Feb 2009 22:26:29 GMT
Anita says:
I HATE military science fiction.
Having said this, I would truly recommend the Honor Harrington series by David Weber. (Of course, only the last book of the series "At All Costs" can be called "recent".) If you want a really good space opera, this is the one. Really interesting, with "living" characters (with their human flaws, emotions, etc.), and what's even more important, really intelligent.
My advice is to start at the beginning with "On Basilisk Station", that's enough to find out, if you like it. If so, well, enjoy!
P.S. I agree about Lois McMaster Bujold.

Posted on 22 Feb 2009 11:37:22 GMT
Spockmum says:
And when you've finished all 11 of the Honor Harringtons plus the extra short stories, what about Larry Niven's Known Space books, including Ringworld I-IV, World of Ptaavs, Protector and the Man-Kzin Wars series I-XI ?
Even better, if you like 'straight' military-political science fiction: Jerry Pournelle's Falkenberg quadrilogy 'The Prince'.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2009 13:45:47 GMT
Anita says:
Years ago Ringworld has been my absolutely favourite book!!! I'm not so sure now, anyway, really worth a try!

Posted on 23 Feb 2009 11:15:03 GMT
Alun says:
Have you tried the Gap series by Stephen Donaldson? A great series from a great writer.

Posted on 24 Feb 2009 12:02:54 GMT
Kevin Andeson, Saga of the Seven Suns, not in the same league as Hamilton, but a good read none the less

Posted on 24 Feb 2009 12:03:38 GMT
Kevin Anderson of X-Files fame

Posted on 27 Feb 2009 13:26:22 GMT
L. O. Shea says:
Alaister Reynolds is the king of the space opera, especially Revelation Space. Iain M Banks is as good, Consider Phlebas, Excession etc. I found The saga of the seven suns to be laughably poor and I got the lot of them ( had to finish the series - v stupid and expensive). I throw my hat into "the Peter F Hamilton is great" lobby as well. Neal Asher is well worth a read. Also Charles Stross- Singularity Sky and The Iron Sunrise. Ken Macleod is good too if a bit political ( also a very good friend of Iain Banks)
Try China Mieville, Perdido Street Station and even better The Scar for something a bit from left field

Posted on 27 Feb 2009 23:49:02 GMT
doubledouble says:
Ive liked the Richard Morgan stuff. "Market Forces" seems more poignant in todays financial climate

Posted on 28 Feb 2009 01:02:25 GMT
Asher for a laugh, Reynolds to up it a bit, Hamilton, to round it off with a bit of Banks. But have you tried Jack Chaulker or Jack Macdevitt? Give them a go - not in the same league, but very very readable....

Posted on 28 Feb 2009 11:29:37 GMT
Sg Dewar says:
Have to agree with Alun and his recommendation of the Gap series. Really engaging reads from start to finish.

More of a niche area but still something I'm enjoying, is a series of books set in the WH40K universe, first of which is by Dan Abnett - Horus Rising. Not everybody's cup of tea, but worth considering.

Posted on 1 Mar 2009 23:32:48 GMT
zargb5 says:
Fred Saberhagen did a series of novels and stories about von neuman robots which are hell bent on destroying biological life in the universe. This is well before the Daleks and battlestar Galactica. Don't know if you can get them nowadays.
EE doc Smith's "Lensman series" was really good though somewhat comic book and one dimensional. JMS of Babylon 5 fame is at the moment writing a screenplay for Ron Howard based on the series of books. So it may come back into fashion?

Posted on 3 Mar 2009 14:41:19 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Mar 2009 14:43:08 GMT
StrikitRich says:
Jack Campbell's 'Lost Fleet' series has been pretty good. Getting a bit long winded, but still looking forward to the next book.

I'll recommend anything by Michael McCollum as well.

Posted on 3 Mar 2009 20:08:21 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Mar 2009 20:09:42 GMT
Cuz says:
I have to agree with L. O Shea regarding Alastair Reynolds and China Mieville, truly marvellous. How about Bruce Sterlings Schismatrix? Many of the modern space opera concepts in an early masterpiece.

Posted on 3 Mar 2009 20:41:48 GMT
Anne Whelan says:
Schismatrix is absolutley brillant!! I would also mention Hyperion by Dan Simmons & Piers Anthony churned out a few way back with Bio of a Space Tyrant & the Cluster series

Posted on 4 Mar 2009 19:11:18 GMT
How about David Wingrove and his Chung Kuo series ... that one for me was a pretty excellent series

Posted on 4 Mar 2009 19:43:42 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Mar 2009 19:47:20 GMT
peter says:
why not try the seafort saga by david feintuck .... excellent stuff

Posted on 4 Mar 2009 21:03:36 GMT
Iain Cormac says:
I can thoroughly recommend Stealing Light by Gary Gibson. But for truly epic space opera you can't get away from Banks (Culture) and Hamilton.

Posted on 8 Mar 2009 23:09:31 GMT
eddie says:
I would go along with al ot of what the others have been recommending, the only name missing would be Roger Zelazny, the epic ,lord of light ,was one of the first sf books I read, any of his early stuff is worth reading, also the series of books by vernor vinge, deepness in the sky etc are truly marvelous and will keep you up past your bedtime, actually think I'll read them again!

Posted on 9 Mar 2009 08:16:12 GMT
Anyone mentioned 'The Lensmen' series yet? Read it years ago, but every space tv show I have seen since seems to have derived from it.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the science fiction discussion forum (554 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  87
Total posts:  99
Initial post:  18 Feb 2009
Latest post:  13 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions