Customer Discussions > science fiction discussion forum

Please answer my short survey

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Jul 2013 12:55:59 BDT
Miss J. Doe says:
Hi, I have a very short questionnaire based on people's perception of comic books. I'm most interested in hearing from people who DO NOT READ comics.

It's very short, multiple choice and will only take a couple of minutes of your time.

http://www.smart-survey.co.uk/s/85403MYORV

Thank you!

PS If anyone is interested I will post the results here once collected.

Posted on 13 Jul 2013 21:28:08 BDT
Done

Posted on 13 Jul 2013 22:42:03 BDT
Sam J says:
Me too.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jul 2013 22:58:27 BDT
Miss J. Doe says:
Thank you so much!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jul 2013 23:17:44 BDT
Anita says:
Miss J. Doe - I suspect a reply from someone from another country (where comic books are not popular in general) would only twist your results?

(The reason I'm actually unsure if I should do that for you - ?)

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jul 2013 23:43:58 BDT
Miss J. Doe says:
I'm not really sure if comic books are that popular anywhere ;-) I'm happy for you to answer the survey and thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jul 2013 00:52:21 BDT
Anita says:
Done, even if hardly very useful...

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jul 2013 03:21:58 BDT
Would have done it but the link doesn`t work.

Posted on 23 Jul 2013 12:53:11 BDT
"I'm not really sure if comic books are that popular anywhere"

uh, sorry, but comic books are very popular almost everywhere.

whether they be called comic books, graphic novels or manga.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jul 2013 13:23:01 BDT
Miss J. Doe says:
"uh, sorry, but comic books are very popular almost everywhere.

whether they be called comic books, graphic novels or manga."

Depends on your definition of "very popular". I'm certainly getting a lot of people who have never read one in their life. A lot of my friends don't read them. None of my work colleagues read them. I wouldn't call that very popular.

Posted on 23 Jul 2013 13:23:29 BDT
Miss J. Doe says:
"Would have done it but the link doesn`t work."

Works for me.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jul 2013 14:33:31 BDT
Anita says:
Yes, it works (just tried)

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jul 2013 15:12:09 BDT
most people i know read comic books in one form or another.

also, there are stores both in the uk and america that sell comics and comic related products.

just because you don't know people that read comics, that doesn't mean they are unpopular.

what about Comic con? a convention specifically for comics and comic related products.

such a Convention wouldn't exist if comics weren't very popular.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jul 2013 15:15:19 BDT
The link did not work for me but I pasted it into a browser. No excuse. The survey was fun and I enjoyed it.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jul 2013 19:25:29 BDT
Miss J. Doe says:
similarly, just because most people you know read comics doesn't make them popular.

have you seen the media regarding comic con? they make sure to cover everything from tv to movies and it's like comics don't exist. comics are a small part of comic con despite its name. it's a pop culture event.

regardless, that isn't what this survey is about so is irrelevent. :)

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jul 2013 19:25:42 BDT
Miss J. Doe says:
Thanks!

Posted on 27 Jul 2013 21:34:06 BDT
Paul says:
Done.

Posted on 29 Jul 2013 18:00:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Jul 2013 18:04:01 BDT
MarmiteMan says:
Salutations! Happened upon this thread by chance, completed the survey, and felt a need to `weigh in' here, too, that there are very different national perceptions of `comic books.' Must fully agree with the above post that "comic books are very popular almost everywhere," but must add "except in Britain."

Being Anglo-Dutch, have enjoyed the (very extensive) Franco-Belgian genre of 'comic books' (actually graphic novel albums) so very lacking in the UK, where the `comic book' is very much looked down upon as unsophisticated, if not outright childish; only TINTIN and ASTERIX - and occasionally LUCKY LUKE - have made any inroads. Comic books originated as a single `comic strip' of one to four `panels' in newspapers (called the `funny pages' in the US) and unfortunately in the UK that is where it remained, despite collections in annuals like the BEAZER, BEANO, etc.), regarded with a certain disdain, so that in the 1970s a number of British artists and writers moved to publishing houses Lombard (Brussels) or Dargaud (Paris), where they contributed to several series of graphic novel albums (eg. visually-striking STORM). Even in the USA, `comic books' are still invariably of the 1930s superhero type (and gloriously championed in THE BIG BANG THEORY!), with the occasional graphic novel (eg. THE PUNISHER, THE LOSERS, etc.).

I'll wager most Britons have never heard of, and will be staggered by the wide variety offered by the Franco-Belgian genre, which includes Westerns (THE ADVENTURES OF LIEUTENT BLUEBERRY [several iterations], RED DUST, COMMANCHE, JERRY SPRING, THE BLUECOATS, etc.), historical adventure/fantasy (ALIX, JUGURTHA, THORGAL, THE ADVENTUTRES OF REDBEARD [the pirates parodied in ASTERIX!], PRINCE VAILLANT, THE RED KNIGHT, DE KOENE RIDDER [no translation], etc.), air force adventure/drama (BUCK DANNY, DAN COOPER and French equivalent TANGUY & LAVERDURE), adventure/drama/sci-fi (BLAKE & MORTIMER [DVD boxset available], BERNARD PRINCE, LEFRANC, MICHEL VAILLANT), or straightforward pre-adolescent `yoof series' (SUSKE & WISKE [GB: Spike and Suzy], YOKO TSUKA, VALÉRIAN ET LAURELINE) and others from the house of Dupuis (GUUST FLATER/GASTON LAGAFFE, SPIROU/ROBBEDOES, MARSUPILAMI) - only some of which have been translated into English, and even then often only whilst briefly en vogue. Am currently fifty-two and still order the latest from several of these series, either online and posted to the UK, or my parents bring them over when visiting the English relatives, to the ongoing bemusement of my mother who, being English, will forever regard `comic books' as childish. Several of these titles can be looked-up on Wikipedia - note how long several series have been in publication!

Am not into Japanese Animé and therefore cannot comment on that genre.

Posted on 16 Aug 2013 00:04:10 BDT
Done.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Aug 2013 00:04:33 BDT
Wow, I know nothing about comic books so thanks for the info!

Cheers

MTM
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the science fiction discussion forum (528 discussions)

ARRAY(0xadef0468)

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  13 Jul 2013
Latest post:  16 Aug 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions