Customer Discussions > science fiction discussion forum

Looking For A Successful Sci Fi Series To Read

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 78 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Jun 2011 22:12:17 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 Jun 2011 06:37:14 BDT
Mr. MD Folan says:
I'm trying to decide what series of books to next read. I don't want any small time / new authors books yet, I want to read the big successful ones first.

I have read and enjoyed:
Orson Scott Cards "Enders Game" series.
Peter F Hamiltons "Nights Dawn", "Commonwealth" and "Void Trilogy" books.
EDIT: Dan Simmons "Hyperion" series.
Alastair Reynolds "Revelation Space" series.
Michael Cobleys "Humanity's Fire" series.
And am currently on Ian M Banks "Culture" series.

I have read "Dune" and hated it.

EDIT: All these books are considered "space opera" and that is what I'm looking for.

So has anyone read any of these books and can reccommend something similar? I plan to come back to the authors I like and read all their other work eventually so someone new please.

Also, if anyone knows of a better place to ask this please let me know and I will try there aswell.

Thanks,

Dave

Posted on 23 Jun 2011 23:15:50 BDT
Mr Shh. says:
How about 'I Robot' by Isaac Asimov?

Posted on 23 Jun 2011 23:27:34 BDT
Read Horus rising its amazing plus its part of a series so if you enjoy the first one there are 15 more to keep you going

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2011 23:53:00 BDT
Mr Shh. says:
Ah yes, Horus Rising is good. I read the first few of those books from the Warhammer 40,000 universe.

Posted on 24 Jun 2011 05:57:03 BDT
Garscadden says:
Richard Morgans Takeshi Kovacs novels are good, in my opinion:
Altered Carbon (Gollancz S.F.)
Broken Angels (Gollancz S.F.)
Woken Furies (Gollancz S.F.)

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2011 06:31:32 BDT
Mr. MD Folan says:
Thanks, the Richard Morgan books look quite good, not so sure about Warhammer though and I've seen the I Robot movie.

Something else I should have mentioned and have added to my original post is that all the books I like come under the genre "space opera" so it's that genre I am interested in.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2011 12:28:13 BDT
Try reading some of the David Weber/John Ringo collaborations like

March Upcountry there are four in the series, or
With The Lightnings by David Drake. I enjoyed them both.

Posted on 24 Jun 2011 17:34:06 BDT
Anita says:
Talking about David Weber I would surely recommend Honor Harrington series starting with On Basilisk Station. At least five or six of the series are really good (I haven't read a couple of last ones myself).

Check out David Brin's Uplift universe, Neal Asher's Polity universe (Spatterjay in particular), Xeelee by Stephen Baxter.

You may like something by Jack L. Chalker. Say, The Rings of the Master series (4 books). Or The Midnight At the Well of Souls. (Be careful with the sequels though)

Posted on 24 Jun 2011 18:50:11 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 25 Jun 2011 18:02:15 BDT
Sam Walker says:
I would definitely second the Richard Morgans Takeshi Kovacs novels - and they get better in my opinion with the last my favourite. This comes from someone who likes the Iain M Banks Culture novels and Alistair Reynolds. It's not space opera, the first one is very Blade Runnerish, but the second and third are very different (also quite violent at times).

Posted on 26 Jun 2011 12:25:01 BDT
Ged says:
Have you tried Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun? S.F. rarely gets better. Start with Shadow of the Torturer.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jun 2011 13:06:46 BDT
Anita says:
Gene Wolfe's New Sun is really very very good in a weird way, but it's very very far away from anything you might call a space opera

Posted on 26 Jun 2011 15:19:38 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Jun 2011 20:38:45 BDT
M. Jolliff says:
Piers Anthony-Bio of a Space Tyrant
Stephen Donaldson-The Gap Series
Gordon R Dickson-Dorsai series
CJ Cherryth-The Faded Sun Trilogy, Chanur series

Oh, and 'I Robot' the movie has had the typical Hollywood treatment and bears little to no resemblance to the book. That said Asimov's Foundation series may be more to your taste. If you like old school 'Golden age' space opera look to the master EE 'doc' Smith and the Lensman series.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jun 2011 20:52:14 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 Jun 2011 20:58:55 BDT
yingguo says:
If you haven't already read them try:
Foundation (The Foundation Series) by Isaac Asimov
The Complete Robot (Robot Series) by Isaac Asimov

I read these years ago and still think they are the best Si-Fi around. They are connected but you won't know how until you have read them all. Read them in date order to get the best out of them. Both series are available on Amazon UK.

The movie I, Robot with Will Smith was really well done but it didn't give the books plot away as it was a Hollywood construction.

The BBC did a condensed radio serial of Foundation which inspired me to get the book then I found the rest. If the BBC still has the programme available it might worth getting too.

I hope all this helps.

Britvic42

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jun 2011 22:08:19 BDT
N. Tyler says:
Read Neal Asher's Polity series.

Posted on 26 Jun 2011 22:20:11 BDT
Mr. MD Folan says:
Wow, so many suggestions, thank you guys. :)

Still not sure what I will go for first, but I suspect, given enough time, I will read a lot of what you guys have reccomended.

Thanks!

Posted on 27 Jun 2011 12:36:50 BDT
Rob says:
From the list you gave in your original posting, you clearly like the same kind of books that I do.....Here then are my top recommendations for engrossing escapist sci fi series.....In no particular order...they are all excellent. Just check out the reviews for more detail.

Neal Asher ... his Polity sequence starting with Gridlinked
Neal Asher ... Spatterjay books, starting with The Skinner
Dan Simmons .. Hyperion sequence, starting with The Fall of Hyperion
Dan Simmons ... Illium and Olympos.
Greg Bear ... Forge of God and Anvil of Stars
Greg Bear ... Eon, Eternity and Legacy
John C Wright ... The Golden Age trilogy (often underrated and overlooked, but one of my favourites)
Stephen Donaldson... The Gap series starting with Into the Gap. (Prepare to not sleep until you've finished all 5 books...)
Vernor Vinge ... A Fire upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky
Alastair Reynolds ... Revelation Space series...and then all of his other work!
Stephen Baxter ... Xeelee sequence. (his earliest work, but most creative and original)
Gregory Benford ... Galactic Centre series, starting with Great Sky River (One of my first forays into science fiction...I still think of these books even now...)

That's all I can recall right now. But I am totally envious, knowing that you have all this amazing stuff to read for the first time...You lucky, lucky *******.

Enjoy............

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jun 2011 12:52:26 BDT
Anita says:
Hey, R. Musk, you repeat half of my suggestions, lol.

One moment though. I'd strongly recommend AGAINST Greg Bear's "Legacy". After the absolutely fabulous "Eon" and "Eternity" the prequel is a big let down. Just an opinion

Posted on 27 Jun 2011 13:45:49 BDT
Rob says:
Hi Anita, You are quite right. It just shows what such good ideas you had in the first place....A double recommendation for Mr MD Folan to read them...!

As for Legacy, despite being a prequel (which I normally shy away from), I just liked the complete environment that Mr Bear created in his first two books, that I still enjoyed Legacy, despite it not having that wham bam revelation factor of the first books...Not as good then, but I'd still rather have read it than not, if you see what I mean.

Personal opinion hey?

Regards...

Posted on 27 Jun 2011 17:46:16 BDT
Mr Shh. says:
I don't know if anyone mentioned earlier but 'The Mote in God's Eye' by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle is a good read.

Posted on 27 Jun 2011 23:48:14 BDT
Calico says:
It's hardly a series but 'The Mote in God's Eye' is followed by 'The Moat around Murcheson's Eye'. You need to read them in that order.

Posted on 28 Jun 2011 18:58:41 BDT
Brett Gibbs says:
CJ Cherryh Alliance/Union books Heavy Time ,Hellburner etc
Donaldsons Gap into Series

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jun 2011 13:56:54 BDT
Norm Deplume says:
@Calico
There is a third one Outies (The Mote in God's Eye). Jerry Pournelle is shown as the author, but not Niven.

Posted on 1 Jul 2011 10:10:50 BDT
John Scalzi's Old Man's War series (Old Man's war, Ghost Brigades, The Last Colony, Zoe's Tale)

did you read all 11 Ender's Game books?
(Ender's Game, Speaker of the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind, Ender's Shadow, Shadow Puppets, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow of the Giant, Ender in Exile, War of Gifts, First and Last Meetings in the Enderverse)

Posted on 1 Jul 2011 15:21:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Jul 2011 11:34:21 BDT
Sascha says:
Given you're already reading some of the best out there, i.e. Iain M. Banks, then to claim to read sci-fi - at least the hardcore/space-opera kind - you definitely have to have read these Top Ten Sci-Fi series (I recommend in this order unless you have a particular preference):

1. Moties (starting with The Mote in God's Eye) series by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
2. Foundation series by Asimov
3. The Way (starting with Eon) series by Greg Bear
4. Forge of God then Anvil of Stars by Greg Bear
5. Rendevous with Rama by Arthur C. Clark [and possibly the rest of the series by Gentry Lee]
6. Altered Carbon of Takeshi Kovacs collection by Richard K. Morgan
7. Ringworld aka Known Space series by Larry Niven
8. Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card
9. Hyperion series by Dan Simmons
10. Stainless Steel Rat series by Harry Harrison <-- bit of comedy to break up the high brow stuff!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the science fiction discussion forum (550 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  53
Total posts:  78
Initial post:  23 Jun 2011
Latest post:  10 Mar 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions