Customer Discussions > science fiction discussion forum

Science Fiction for under £1.00

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 180 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Nov 2010 11:09:41 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Dec 2010 09:57:39 GMT
For Kindle owners and readers of Science Fiction, I thought I'd start a thread for those with books available for under £1.

My own novel, The Honour of the Knights (First Edition) (The Battle for the Solar System), is available for £0.86.

The first book in the BATTLE FOR THE SOLAR SYSTEM trilogy, the novel is set in the year 2617 and follows 5 naval pilots as they become wrapped up in a top secret project and begin to discover that a truly awful fate has befallen a imperial nation, one which may have a devastating effect on the rest of the galaxy.

First published in paperback in 2009, the story has been well received, with the SF Crowsnest describing it as "a tightly plotted action-adventure yarn with a good mix of likeable, interesting and nasty characters".

If you enjoy space operas and want a new series to get stuck into, then get reading. The second novel, THE THIRD SIDE, will be out next autumn.

125,000 words
348 paperback pages

www.battleforthesolarsystem.com

Posted on 20 Nov 2010 21:02:12 GMT
EVERYTHING at Baen's free library! http://www.baen.com/library/
cost: £0.00

Posted on 21 Nov 2010 04:40:18 GMT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 21 Nov 2010 07:36:34 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 31 Dec 2010 12:15:53 GMT]

Posted on 22 Nov 2010 16:13:52 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Nov 2010 17:29:55 GMT
Lloyd Blake says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 3 Dec 2010 04:15:27 GMT
Last edited by the author on 10 Apr 2011 16:43:41 BDT
Sounds interesting, Lloyd

Posted on 16 Dec 2010 04:36:25 GMT
Black Winds (Tales of the Zorantian Brotherhood) is a trilogy, an adventure space opera.

Posted on 16 Dec 2010 16:01:26 GMT
The Mysterious Case of Doctor Octavius Plum's Incredible Ever After Machine

When British children, Jennifer and Timothy Goodhew visit their grandfather on the isle of St. Mary's over Christmas, they are surprised to find him missing. In his place they find a pirate captain, who has taken control of their grandfather's manor and its servants.

The captain puts the children to work-Timothy in the tumbledown graveyard at the end of the garden, and Jennifer within the manor itself. Naturally, the children are concerned about their missing grandfather and begin to investigate his disappearance.

In the course of their investigations, they discover that the garden surrounding the manor has become wildly overgrown. Furthermore, they are told that entrance to their grandfather's laboratory is strictly forbidden. Undaunted, the children continue their investigations, and in so doing, discover a remarkable secret and a diabolical plot that will change their lives forever.

This novel will, in turn, warm your heart and send chills down your spine. It leads the reader on an unforgettable journey through an eerie manor, an overgrown garden, a tumbledown graveyard, and to a gripping conclusion. An adventure story and a mystery, it is a page-turner through and through-one that is enjoyed by children (ages 9 and up) and adults alike.

Posted on 16 Dec 2010 16:33:02 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 31 Dec 2010 12:14:52 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Dec 2010 03:43:32 GMT
Earth Sink

Kindle version is under 1.00

Posted on 26 Dec 2010 20:21:27 GMT

Posted on 27 Dec 2010 03:52:01 GMT
Todd Hunter says:

Posted on 28 Dec 2010 14:03:10 GMT

Posted on 28 Dec 2010 16:18:12 GMT
LKRigel says:
Hello all. Space Junque (In Flagrante Apocalypto 1) is 74p. This is a sci-fi romance novella, a smart quick read -- not smutty, alas! Space Junque has gotten some nice reviews from both the science fiction crowd and the romance crowd.

The apocalypse is nigh, and Char Meadowlark has to juggle two men, a pouty goddess, eco-terrorists, and find a way out of orbit back to a planet devolving into global thermonuclear war.

Fun times!

Posted on 30 Dec 2010 07:51:48 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Dec 2010 07:56:55 GMT
My full length novel Rogue Hunter: Quest of the Hunter is currently priced at 74p. Price goes back up to 5.15p after New Years Day. If you're still on the fence about reading Rogue Hunter, here's what a few readers are saying about it:

"Rogue Hunter is a fast read, and an excellent adventure."--The Scattering Book Review

"Not your typical science fiction book"--Readers Favorite

"Keeps you turning pages."--American Chronicle

"If you enjoy a good sci-fi read, get this one."--Premier Book Reviews

"Shakes you `till your teeth chatter with the fast pace, then the thrill at the last part of the book hits you with 1000 volt shocks until the last page."--Andrew Love, author of Short Shocks

Hope you guys decide to check it out. Happy Reading!

Posted on 30 Dec 2010 09:27:10 GMT
The Mountain and the Flood
Scotland is independent and its people oppressed by the government; while a family fights for survival, an environmental disaster looms.
This science fiction novel, set in the Scotland of about twenty five years time, is an exciting and thought-provoking read. It is now available on Kindle for 74p.
Thanks Stephen for starting this thread for everyone's benefit.
best wishes, Sheila

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2010 10:14:55 GMT
P. R. Jordan says:
Thanks Stephen for this opportunity. My new 2011 edition to be released before promoting IVRRAC this month. It is presently available at the introductory price of £0.86. The new edition has been re-mastered and a Table of Contents has also been included to allow easier navigation.

Independent reviewers have given IVRRAC 4 to 5 stars.
"... a book that you do not want to miss ..."
"... definitely unique on its own ... fast-paced and doesn't waste time ..."
"... an unusual and enjoyable suspense novel ..."
"... surprising plot twists, edge of your seat moments ..."
"Hard to put down"

The world is changing, more people are being sent to prison than ever before. There is now an opening for privatised prisons and rehabilitation centres to relieve the government owned prisons of this ever increasing influx. So when Simon, a serial killer of rich socialite women, is given New Zealand's longest sentence he gladly takes advantage of this new policy and signs up with IVRRAC, a private rehabilitation firm confident in getting him back into society within six months. Unfortunately he neglects to read the fine print and he finds himself forced to live in Trentsworth, a town built for the rich and famous and his worst nightmare. After he exacts his revenge he finds out that IVRRAC have their own dark secrets and their acronym name is the key to the whole adventure and his own survival.

Follow Simon's rollercoaster ride through IVRRAC's rehabilitation programme now for only £0.86 on Amazon Kindle, one reviewer has since stated that IVRRAC was well worth its original Kindle price so this limited time offer is extremely good value for any Kindle reader.

IVRRAC- Paradise is not what it seems.

Note: This £0.86 offer is for a very limited time.

Thanks again

Peter Jordan - Author

Posted on 3 Jan 2011 00:07:30 GMT
You might try my Teen Time Travel Novel Tomorrow's Guardian:

When schoolboy Tom Oakley discovers he can transport himself through time, he draws the attention of evil men who seek to bend history to their will.

Tom's family are obliterated and he soon faces an impossible choice: To save the world he must sacrifice his family.

Tomorrow's Guardian is the 1st book of the Hourglass Institute Series. It is a Young Adult Science Fiction adventure.

Some Feedback:
What Robert James says about Tomorrow's Guardian:

'Richard Denning, ... keeps the action fast and furious for the 400 or so pages of the book. Diving in and out of time, and in and out of the Twisted Reality (the other universe), there's never a dull moment as the inevitable confrontation with the evil Redfeld, villain of the piece, comes closer and closer.'

'I recommend it to readers around Tom's age, many of whom I confidently expect to absolutely love it. '

I recieved Tomorrows Guardian on Thursday and my youngest James (10) and I are reading it together. It's causing bedtime issues in that he wants to read more than time allows.
Kindle Edition Price: £0.86
Tomorrow's Guardian (Hourglass Institute Series)

Posted on 3 Jan 2011 04:33:39 GMT
Marion Stein says:
My novella, The Death Trip (currently 72 pence) is the type of sci-fi not mentioned a lot on this page. That is, it's technologically plausible, "this could be happening now or in the near future" type sci fi. The Death Trip was written to both entertain readers and to make them think a bit as well about some serious issues -- life, death, end of life, assisted suicide and the like. I hope readers will take a chance on it. I'm also desperate for UK reviews and would love for readers to give it some feedback. I don't care if it's good or bad, though the only "review" I got was some wiseguy who reviewed a sample, and yes I do think it's more helpful if you actually read the book!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2011 20:51:19 GMT
Hylton Smith says:
Hi All,

I currently have four books on kindle a £0.75. There is 'The Darwinian Extension Trilogy' and 'Renewal'. The latter has been nominated for book of the year on sfbook.com; it is one of twelve candidates, each having been book of the month in 2010.
Renewal actually carries on the story from the trilogy itself, but can be read as stand-alone book. The books are all reviewed on this sci-fi site, and are classified there as hard sci-fi. They are near future novels grounded in realistic scenarios, and with interesting, intelligent aliens. They track the efforts of colonisation and escape from the solar system, against the backdrop of terran unease with alien life forms.
I have a fifth book about to appear on kindle within a week, titled 'The Sacred Protocol'. It is also priced at £0.75, and is an alternate history/alternate future crime thriller. The internet has collapsed, and drift to a dystopiian society is miraculously avoided by a new, bulletproof system. A dark side emerges from this SACRED installation and people begin dying. The investigation into what links the deaths becomes the core of the plot.
If more information is required about the first four books it can be found at www.sf-odyssey.com

Hylton H Smith

Posted on 5 Jan 2011 18:57:13 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Jan 2011 18:59:26 GMT
S. Phelps says:
Stephen Leather where are you?
What did you DO!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2011 04:09:23 GMT
Hi Stephen (no relation as far as I know!),

I write under the name John Fitch V, and I have a couple of sci-fi stories, one a novel, one a short story, available on Kindle for less than a buck.

A Galaxy At War is 74p on Kindle. Power Corrupts. Unless it's a part of the plan.

Captain Ryann Germayne, son of the legendary Jaxson "Hot Shot" Germayne, has been living up to his late father's reputation. He is the best pilot in the Galaxy of Free Systems arsenal. His equally talented first mate gunner, Joslyne, happens to also be his wife. They feel secure in the knowledge that should the end come during battle, they would perish together.

Some believe that the GFS has grown too large, too bureaucratic for the regular person across the galaxy. This small group of rebels is slowly, but steadily, growing in numbers.

President Greensteen and Admiral Zephyr send Ryann to lead a strike team on a ground assault to destroy the Rebel blast cannon. Ryann has extra orders to secretly assassinate a certain individual while there. Having to kill someone face-to-face and in cold blood does not sit well with Ryann. So when he is later asked to assassinate another, Ryann and Joslyne defect.

As Ryann's power grows, he begins to change. Even personally executing former friends and comrades no longer seems to bother Ryann. Joslyne soon wonders to what lengths her husband would go, how low he would sink, and how cold blooded he would become for his new beliefs. Can she continue to stand beside the man he is morphing into?

The short story, Amber Twilight: A Short Story, is also 74p.

Billy Bunton's way home is mired in a rain storm. Following a exhaustion-inducted nap, he finds brilliant light filling his home. He discovers that he's no longer in his hometown -- he's the only human left!

Billy is soon greeted by alien visitors -- or is he the alien? -- who wish to experiment on him. But when Muffy, his Labrador Retriever, doesn't come to help him.....

AMBER TWILIGHT is a sci-fi short story with nods to The Twilight Zone, Star Wars and Star Trek throughout the prose.

Thanks for reading, folks.

Posted on 6 Jan 2011 10:17:38 GMT
Hi Stephen,

I'd like to add mine. Thanks for the thread.

THE LIVING IMAGE - sale - .72p
What would you do if you found your own duplicate? It happens to Sabrina. Then she finds
her double was cloned from her body and is equipped with a computer. To top it all there are
three government agencies vying to possess the woman she calls Eve. They are both in danger.
How can they remain free?

The Living Image

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2011 21:05:24 GMT
I would like to add my two novels, Parallel Lives and The Journeymen both at 75 pence each, to be joined in February by Skin (currently being formatted for Kindle). Between them they span multiple universes, alien colonisation and timelines of tens of thousands of years. Otherwise tales of everyday folk:-)

Posted on 10 Jan 2011 23:56:53 GMT
Cliff Ball says:
Hi all, for a limited time only, my two science fiction novels are on sale for 74p

Out of Time: a time travel novella
A scientist discovers time is actually fluid; past, present, and future all exist at the same time. What he doesn't know, is if the current timeline can change when something is changed in the past. The US government wants him to find out. The theme being to make right what once went wrong. The time travelers meet all sorts of 20th century icons, from the Titanic to Anne Frank to Roswell to the Apollo 13. However, someone is trying to stop them, and the future may never be the same again.

Shattered Earth
Advanced humans, called Terrans, leave Earth when its threatened by a massive meteor. The remaining humans on Earth fall back into primitiveness. The advanced humans, and a group of aliens, the Ragnor, involve Earth in an interstellar war. Thousands of years later, the humans of Earth decide to do something about this. Interstellar politics will never be the same again once Earth is done with their revenge.

Thanks
Cliff
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the science fiction discussion forum (546 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  109
Total posts:  180
Initial post:  19 Nov 2010
Latest post:  28 Dec 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions