Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > science fiction discussion forum

50s/60s Sci Fi Movie Most In Need Of A Remake...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 59 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Jan 2009 22:59:00 GMT
AJ says:
Aside from the debate over the rights & wrongs of remakes, which of the Classics would you like to see a DECENT remake of??

Mine would have to be Forbidden Planet.....And Fantastic Voyage (which was greenlit but seems to have dissapeared!)

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2009 23:22:30 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Jan 2009 23:23:45 GMT
Forbidden planet has been earmarked for remake but theres still a bit of a fuss apparantly about who hold the rights or something like that!!

Invaders from mars with the old X on the back of the neck would be a good one but i think Forbidden has to be the best but who has a voice to compare with Walter Pidgeon?

It turns out that the THING is set for another remake despite already being a remake of Thing From Another World but i think it would be cool if it carried on from the last with a scientist find Russells distinctive hat in the snow then bish bosh it all kicks off!!!!!

The trouble is how many 50/60s sci fi have been remade well? theres Lost In Space, Planet of the Apes, Day Earth Stood Still, War of the Worlds and to me none of them are a shade on the originals

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2009 23:28:41 GMT
AJ says:
Did you ever see Tobe Hooper's 1986 remake of Invaders From Mars? Wasn't too bad actually....

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2009 23:42:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Jan 2009 00:12:33 GMT
B. Barnicoat says:
The 1950s are often viewed as a golden age of science fiction, but honestly, how many of the films are actually classics? In truth very few. Most were low budget B-movies with very low production values and should never see the light of day ever again.

I have yet to see the the recently released "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and am keeping an open mind until I do.

I thoroughly enjoyed the remake of "War of the Worlds" and hope that J. Michael Straczynski, of Babylon 5 fame, will get the chance to revisit the "Forbidden Planet" story arc. He is fond of the film as can be seen in his version of Krell technology seen in B5.

Will anyone ever attempt to remake "When Worlds Collide"? It could be a real CGI fest.

There are one or two TV stories which could be developed and reworked. For example....

"The Invaders" and "The Time Tunnel"

A Startrek story which could be developed is always voted everyone's favourite (after the Trouble with Tribbles)......

"The City on the Edge of Forever" - Startrek: Original Series - Could a storyline be developed where the portal has to be used and one plot line is to save Edith Keeler this time.

...And then there are all the books which have never made it onto the silver screen.....

1. Azimov's "Foundation Trilogy"
2. David Weber's Honor Harrington series
3. Stranger in a Strange Land
4. The Lensman Series
5. Ringworld

And these are just for starters.

Posted on 5 Feb 2009 22:34:13 GMT
F. Beddows says:
Hi There
Has anybody read Fiasco by Stanislaw Lem ? It could be one hell of a Sci Fi film
Frank B

Posted on 5 Feb 2009 22:35:07 GMT
F. Beddows says:
Hi There
Has anybody read Fiasco by Stanislaw Lem ? It could be one hell of a Sci Fi film
Frank B

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2009 23:20:54 GMT
Check out the horror forum for some different views on remakes

Posted on 6 Feb 2009 00:16:30 GMT
I say leave the films be and let some new idea's develop, sure a modern sci-fi remake would have better effects but look at what happened when George Lucas added superior CGI to the original Star Wars movies.... disaster!

Posted on 6 Feb 2009 14:18:34 GMT
R. Shave says:
Forbidden Planet? how could anyone build a better robot than Robby. He's a true sci fi icon.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2009 22:43:43 GMT
I can't believe that as far as I know the only John Wyndham novels to have reached the silver screen are the Day of the Triffids, although the TV series was better, and the Midwich Cuckoos (renamed Village of the Damned) twice. The old British B&W film with George Sanders was the better. I cannot comprehend why The Kraken Wakes, The Chrysalids and Trouble With Lichen never made it. At least I still have most of what he wrote to re-read.Regards Tom K.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Mar 2009 15:31:58 GMT
Would like to know where the info you have on the remake of The Thing came from. I wrote to Alan Dean Foster to see if he would write the Thing part 2 but was informed that,that, would be up to the publishers, who ever they might be

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Mar 2009 15:50:19 GMT
AJ says:
Wikipedia re The Thing. Sequel, prequel, remake etc.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Mar 2009 16:22:40 GMT
S. REID says:
Problem i think is back 50/60s sci fi was all new these days it an accepted practice and there is very few ideas, adding more amazing effects does not change what will challenge the viewer.
Think we need to go to making films of classic books rather that rehash the past movies , however sure Anne McCaffreys dragon riders bok would me a massive hit if made into a film.

Posted on 23 Mar 2009 20:02:42 GMT
The Thing (80's version was great) or a big budget sequel.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2009 19:42:03 BDT
Ray says:
Has anyone any idea of the name of a film I remember as a kid from the early 50's.?

It was about a group of people landing on another planet, finding it populated by wild/cavemen type humans, with the eventual sting in the tail being that they had landed back on earth some time in the future.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2009 21:27:49 BDT
i remember watching a fifties film when i was a kid and remembered the movie your on about but cant quite place it , i remember thinking it was the idea for the planet of apes movie - time travel and in future etc
my mate said it might be an episode from the twilight zone series but i was sure it was a movie

Posted on 28 May 2009 12:41:04 BDT
no one has mentioned anything to do with Quatermas. i know the simplicity of the early radio series was magnificent. the tv didn't quite come up to scratch, i thought john mills was out of his depth. but surely someone could materialise a decent script, and once again what a CGI fest it could be.

Posted on 28 May 2009 19:29:23 BDT
Colin Paylor says:
Sadly I find most Re Makes a total waste of time and a very strange concept !
While people seem to casually accept Re Makes of classic films and American versions of foreign cinema how would they react if the same happened to literature.
Imagine the outrage if someone Re Wrote classic books.
Please lets have new ideas and new stories on our screens.
I must say I agree with some of the comments I have read suggesting that there are still many hundreds of classic books yet to be filmed so fingers crossed one day I will get to see Dr Blood-money by Phil Dick on the big screen.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2009 22:43:24 BDT
Rob says:
"Imagine the outrage if someone Re Wrote classic books."

Like the post-Restoration version of King Lear with a happy ending? 8-o

I've been outraged at some of the remakes of classic films. Yes, the 2001 version of Planet of the Apes had better make-up and special effects, but it RIPPED THE HEART OUT of the original. Just makes me want to grab Tim Burton by the collar and rant at him like Charlton Heston at the end of the 1968 film: "You Maniac! You screwed it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!"

Posted on 30 May 2009 07:43:15 BDT
brian worden says:
here are a few i think would make great remakes ! what do you think
it came from outer space.and the tv series land of the giants

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jun 2009 12:47:05 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jun 2009 12:48:14 BDT
Mikie says:
"It was about a group of people landing on another planet, finding it populated by wild/cavemen type humans, with the eventual sting in the tail being that they had landed back on earth some time in the future."

Oh - you're NOT thinking of Planet of the Apes?

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jun 2009 20:17:13 BDT
Ray says:
Definitely not Planet of the Apes, way too early. It must have been a "B" movie, but I'd love to see it again to see how much P.o.t.A copied from it. Is there any website that lists/shows such old films?

Posted on 2 Jun 2009 21:26:03 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 16 Nov 2011 14:46:36 GMT]

Posted on 2 Jun 2009 21:33:38 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 16 Nov 2011 14:46:36 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jun 2009 15:51:06 BDT
yes the name of the film: voyage to a prehistoric planet i have the film it come with 4 other in the box called movies 4 alien worlds.
from seaboots kent.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the science fiction discussion forum (570 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  43
Total posts:  59
Initial post:  27 Jan 2009
Latest post:  8 Mar 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions