Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 233 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2014 07:26:28 BDT
M. Helsdon says:
"There was an excellent SF short story where some human captives in a spaceship persuaded their captors that they must have fresh green food, and planted something where eventually the roots cracked open the walls of their prison space. I have it in print somewhere, but cannot remember who wrote it or what it was called..."

One of the Saberhagen Berserker shorts.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2014 09:25:52 BDT
Ken O'Neill says:
We know what they are, and I now have an image of you chasing Mini Coopers (real ones, not BMW 0.5 series ;-) ) through a traffic jam in Turin! :-D

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2014 10:51:46 BDT
Ah yes, I found it quickly thanks to your help. It is called 'Pressure' and is the second short in my VGSF edition of 'Berserker The Ultimate Enemy'.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2014 11:15:34 BDT
Dan Fante says:
My mate's uncle used to be the main Lada trader in the North East. One of those 'tallest dwarf in the circus'-type accolades.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2014 14:06:05 BDT
Bearman says:
LOL - when the Berlin wall came down a couple of acquaintances of mine (pub folk) came to the conclusion that the opening trade links to the east would sound the death knell for eastern block car manufacturer's. So they flew out to East Germany to buy a Trabant, convinced that it would soon disappear from the roads and become a valuable classic of the future. The journey home in the Trabant took longer than expected due to the frequent break-downs, and they eventually abandoned both the idea and the car in Calais when the ferry refused to take them due to the large amount of oil that the car was haemorrhaging while queuing to board. That was a good 20 years ago, but everyone who knows them down the pub still extracts the urine mercilessly about the incident.

Posted on 21 May 2014 22:43:12 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 10 Sep 2014 13:26:18 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2014 22:48:23 BDT
Anita says:
"Almost certain", "could be", and for now ZERO EVIDENCE, you illiterate individual.

Astronomers do have a lot of "maybes", but - unlike you - are not idiots and do not state for facts what they don't know.

(Would you like to learn to read at some point? No? It's fun, reading, try it)

Posted on 21 May 2014 22:52:59 BDT
Anita says:
For the record:

Exoplanets are fact. There are a lot of exoplanets detected (nearing 2000), a lot more candidates.

There's AN ABSOLUTE ZERO of evidence of any life. The *only* reason to think there *may* be life is... us. If we exist, so maybe life exists elsewhere too.

That is all.

All the rest is from the dead vaults of MM's skull

Posted on 21 May 2014 23:18:22 BDT
Anita says:
As if it wasn't idiotic enough without editing, Marilyn adds: "And to get scientists to honestly admit the universe "could" harbor advanced civilizations is a BIG step for scientists."

Google "SETI", Marilyn. The "could" idea is even older than you and all kinds of programs exist for decades. As yet, with zero positive results.

Now run add yet something to embarrass yourself even further

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2014 23:24:08 BDT
Anita says:
Ken - are you implying that "Zhiguli" (or Lada, as they were called for export, as mentioned by Bearman) were a direct rip-off from FIAT? (Which they really were.) Incidentally Turin is one of very few cities in Italy I've never been (add Parma to the list. A bit odd, to think about it)

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2014 03:20:33 BDT
Ronald Craig says:
"There could be" is not a statement of fact or even of belief on the part of the speaker.

For example, there could actually be a functioning mind in the wet stuff between your ears, but I for one remain unconvinced.

Baby steps indeed, as you enter your second childhood. Got Depends?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2014 08:27:34 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 May 2014 08:37:25 BDT
M. Helsdon says:
"A LOT OF ADVANCED CIVILIZATIONS AS WELL... There, trolls! Real scientists finally admitted it! (They also retreated immediately to 'no evidence any advanced ETs have ever visited Earth.' But, hey, baby-steps, folks. And to get scientists to honestly admit the universe "could" harbor advanced civilizations is a BIG step for scientists - especially testifying before Congress!)"

Actually, no. You'll find that the idea in life beyond Earth is mainstream, just that it is probably mostly unicellular, just as life on Earth was for the majority of its history. And given the size of the universe, the existence of alien intelligent life, somewhere, is probable. It just isn't zooming around Earth.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2014 08:59:30 BDT
Bearman says:
You are truly clueless. Nobody on this forum has argued that they don't believe there is life out there. The point that people laugh at you for, is that unlike you, they don't believe that ETs have ever visited earth. Your post does not support that position.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2014 09:16:42 BDT
Ken O'Neill says:
Anita - You ask "are you implying that "Zhiguli" (or Lada, as they were called for export, as mentioned by Bearman) were a direct rip-off from FIAT?" No: I'm saying that they were a fully licenced copy of a FIAT (124).

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2014 10:37:54 BDT
Dan Fante says:
Ha! They never quite gained that cult status did they? Despite (or maybe because of ;-) ) getting on the cover of Achtung Baby. Both them and Ladas make for one of the better arguments in favour of capitalism / against communism.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2014 11:35:32 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 May 2014 12:39:32 BDT
Anita says:
Not only that, Dan. Tom C once posted a joke:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/politics/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1V2D87UIY3H5Z&cdMsgID=Mx206VU3JQAHMW2&cdMsgNo=56&cdPage=3&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx1KGYGEC9NTA1A#Mx206VU3JQAHMW2

which wasn't as untrue as you may think. My Dad bought a "Zhiguli" not long before the crash of the soviet union. It wasn't exactly a five-year wait, but he did have to get a "permission" to buy it (surely he couldn't choose the model or the colour, you bought what you were given to buy). Well, it wasn't exactly a permission, but I doubt there's an appropriate word in English for something like that. Kind of a paper saying that there is a car for you which you can buy (no car without it). So he had to go to Smolensk to buy it. My Mother's sister's husband went with him (that was advisable, and he was 20 years younger than my Dad).

Arrrgh - why everything has to remind of Spin? :) Soon after my Dad bought that car, lots of people started installing liquid gas equipment into "Zhigulis", the gas tank was put into the luggage department (gas was a lot cheaper than petrol then). My Dad did that too. Actually you could switch from petrol to gas and vice versa at will. No fuel gauge for gas, obviously, so if gas ended somewhere along the way, you just switched to petrol to go on. Has happened to me quite a number of times. (And Spin told me that "gas" as fuel is just short for "gasoline", nothing else, and I'm an idiot to say otherwise. :) )

Maybe just me, but I think you must be a very specific character to own a Trabant. My neighbour did (so I came to relate the man to his car). They were very similar in many ways. :) Now the neighbour is over 80 and the Trabant is gone, but memory persists :)

Edit: it's --> his. Must be a Freudian slip to say "it's" about that particular neighbour of mine :)

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2014 16:25:44 BDT
Ken O'Neill says:
Actually, talking about a permission (or permit; in this context they're more or less synonymous) (implying "to do $action") is correct English.

Also, I liked the jokes, both Tom C's and your response.

Posted on 30 May 2014 22:56:40 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 10 Sep 2014 13:28:01 BDT]

Posted on 2 Jun 2014 23:00:15 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 10 Sep 2014 13:28:28 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jun 2014 23:26:04 BDT
Anita says:
"Always fun to read when scientists (unlike the Toxic Trolls) are willing to admit they were wrong."

For starters, that makes you the toxiest troll possible, because you are almost always wrong and never admit that. Still want to spout something about Orion system? Or travelling faster than light in the atmosphere? Or something even more stupid?

Scientists are finding unexpected planets all the time. The "Diamond" planet, for example. There's a lot there to find and to revise theories. No scientist in the world - except Her Scientissimo Marilyn - ever claim their theories being 100% "right", especially what concerns space. They are just - theories. No scientists was wrong - they just found something new. (And, as always, you are grabbing a random fact. New theories are being thought of, how planets like that do form, but surely you are not interested beyond - maybe at last aliens???)

Unfortunately *still* no sign of your dream-aliens (note the hyphen, personally for you). The same "possibility of life" as ever. No evidence. Zero

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jun 2014 15:50:57 BDT
TomC says:
Any news of those Martian gorillas, Marilyn? I expect there is a relief ship laden with bananas on its way there, even as we speak ...

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jun 2014 16:20:27 BDT
Anita says:
Ahh, I completely forgot about that! Wasn't even sure what you meant mentioning them on another forum. How could I?? :(

I find it a bit strange that she never mentions the human face on Mars, unless I missed that. Is it just too obvious? I dare not think her research didn't reach that far! (Or, rather, close)

Posted on 13 Jun 2014 13:40:26 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 10 Sep 2014 13:30:21 BDT]

Posted on 13 Jun 2014 14:28:58 BDT
Bearman says:
Ah Inquisitr News - such a paragon of scientifically accurate reporting!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jun 2014 14:50:20 BDT
Anita says:
Yeah, there may be life theremaybelife theremaybelife theremaybelifetheremaybelifetheremaybelife. As it was yesterday, as it was last year, as it was 10 years ago, as it was 50 years ago. Still not a single tinyest bit of evidence of that life. Maybemaybemaybe there is. Over and over again.

Oh, except gorillas on Mars and squid on the moon, how could I forget that.

By the way - a lot of interesting things are being found in the universe (apart from theremaybelife), if only the greatest researcher of all could be bothered to do some reading...

Re Faster than light travel, it's still Dr. Harold White - still not trusted by any physicist, and his warp drive is still in the same place as the string theory, more or less.

And have to second Bearman's comment on Inquisitr News...
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  233
Initial post:  19 Sep 2013
Latest post:  16 Jun 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions