Customer Discussions > science fiction discussion forum

Looking for a new author, run out of things to read

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 452 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jan 2012 00:57:50 GMT
You MUST read Alastair Reynolds, especially his Revelation space series!

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jan 2012 11:09:23 GMT
M. Ellington says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 31 Jan 2012 13:10:32 GMT
I've written a book, its about dystopian futures where android forces hunt down and kill every self serving author who posts their own threads on these pages and pretend they are not the authors...
I'm with Gordon by the way read Alaistairn Reynolds, he's superb!

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Feb 2012 07:59:43 GMT
Kevin j Anderson saga of seven suns

Posted on 3 Feb 2012 10:51:34 GMT
bg says:
The Phoenix Conspiracy by Richard Sanders.

Posted on 5 Feb 2012 14:05:00 GMT
How about Stephan Donaldson's series The Gap Into Madness.
Julian may's Saga Of The Exiles
Kevin J Anderson's The Saga OF the Seven Suns

Posted on 6 Feb 2012 16:28:37 GMT
Carl Mason says:
Richard Morgan
Joe Haldeman
or
try Fred Pohl's Heechee stories... (if you can find them)

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Feb 2012 18:30:55 GMT
SF fan says:
Oh helloooo nice to see someone appreciating the same things I do . Might I pick your brain a bit more and offer some tidbits in return. I think Iain M. Banks extremely inventive and even like his stuff under Iain Banks and Mars trilogy is great but one of my alltime favorites is Stephen Donaldson´s Covenant series (until the 9th book which gets a bit tiring) and I still think Neal Stevenson breaks new ground with each novel he writes. If you have any others that might add to the mix do let us know!

Posted on 6 Feb 2012 20:44:19 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 25 Mar 2012 23:17:15 BDT]

Posted on 6 Feb 2012 23:24:48 GMT
Ronaile says:
Anthony Douglass mentioned Radix by Attanasio. I never got on with it but how about Solis with it's incredible beginning? I think this is quite brilliant and one of my favourites. And, how about his Last Legends of Earth? Incredibly complex.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2012 04:37:13 GMT
Ursulsa LeGuinn The Dispossessed. The Lathe of Heaven. The Left hand of God. Changing Planes.
Connie Willis The Doomsday Book. All her books
Nancy Kress Probability Series; Moon, Sun, Universe. All her books
Madeline L' Engle: The wrinkle in time series. I have copies of these from when I was a girl and reread them at least every five years.

Growing up and through Adulthood I've read every book Heinlein wrote at least twice. I read the the Crystal Singer series by McCaffery in grad school, students all gave it the the thumbs up back in the earlier 1980's. I like Asimov too, but could never plow through Foundation. We seem to have similarities as readers. Never heard of Moon or Bujold, thank you sounds good. Other good books Not Scifi Though:

The Good Earth- Pearl Buck
Hiroshima- John Hersey
The Great Santinti-Pat Conroy
Even Cowgirls Get the Blues-Tom Robbins
Uncle Toms Cabin- Harriet Beecher Stow
Well I could go on and on and on....

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2012 04:41:22 GMT
Got to read this! Thank you your royal highness. By the way, I believe whales are more evolved than people.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2012 04:45:10 GMT
You've read moorecock! The Dancers at the End of Time is one of my favorites, I can find copies nowhere though.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2012 17:19:41 GMT
Anita says:
The Left Hand of God?? Well, maybe, if really written by Ursulsa LeGuinn

Posted on 24 Feb 2012 18:47:58 GMT
Maddy Leigh says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2012 20:42:44 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 25 Mar 2012 23:10:13 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2012 23:39:10 GMT
to abi they may be old written 60 years ago but try E E DOC SMITHS lensmen books a real old fashion space opera in the true scence

Posted on 27 Feb 2012 00:45:52 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 25 Mar 2012 23:09:09 BDT]

Posted on 1 Mar 2012 14:30:11 GMT
Try Simak, the ones I've read have a bit of a twist to the story

Posted on 5 Mar 2012 22:44:25 GMT
William J Benning - just finished his first (I think) novel. Never heard of him before, but good gutsy epic space opera stuff !

Posted on 6 Mar 2012 10:43:45 GMT
For something a little off kilter from the above (though I loved Doc Smith and le Guin, herbert , Asimov, Clarke et al) - Moorcock, for fantasy, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Discworld series for humour and for something completely different - Mervyn Peakes' Titus Groan trilogy starting with Gormenghast. I found the latter very useful for forming intense descriptive in some of my stuff. Happy reading and hopefully good writing! Paul D.E. Mitchell

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2012 16:53:19 GMT
SF fan says:
Great, romping read, fabulous although not too much depth and deffinately not sci-fi

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2012 17:00:31 GMT
SF fan says:
Thank you,thank you, have read the write ups and will soon be ordering all of these after picking up on Richard Morgan - read all his stuff - am sure you have read William Gibson, Stephen Donaldson, Neal Stevenson,(sp?) Dan Simmons and my new favorite Kingkiller Chronicles (more fantasy though) - thought you might appreciate the tip since we seem to have someting in common...

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2012 07:19:06 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 25 Mar 2012 23:08:33 BDT]

Posted on 8 Mar 2012 09:07:15 GMT
T. Telford says:
Try Robert J Sawyer, Ben Bova, Colin Wilson (Spider World series), Orson Scott Card - Enders Game, Neil Gaiman for some truly strange...Start with Neverwhere. Or even The Hunger Games, just finished that book and loved it.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the science fiction discussion forum (554 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  246
Total posts:  452
Initial post:  5 Apr 2011
Latest post:  26 Mar 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions