Customer Discussions > science fiction discussion forum

Doctor Who DVD Release Schedule...

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 526-550 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2011 15:00:01 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Dec 2011 15:04:52 GMT
Thanks, Ssorg. Guess I'll just have to be patient, then.

50 years! Blimey, where does the time go?

Posted on 9 Dec 2011 10:06:55 GMT
Sophie says:
Leaving Zygons until 2013 makes commercial sense. They have to spread out the good stuff, and there's hardly any 5-star stories left to do.

Posted on 11 Dec 2011 19:17:09 GMT
Paul Tapner says:
You've probably all heard it by now but just in case: [from the bbc website]:

Two classic episodes of Doctor Who - thought to be missing forever - have been returned to the BBC archive.

Episode 3 of the William Hartnell adventure "Galaxy 4" and Episode 2 of Patrick Troughton's "The Underwater Menace" were purchased by film collector Terry Burnett at a village fete near Southampton in the early 80s. He had been unaware that the canisters contained material missing from the BBC.

Thanks to the kind loan by Mr Burnett, the classic footage has been shown today at the British Film Institute's annual "Missing Believed Wiped" event at the National Film Theatre in London. Host at the event was Doctor Who writer and actor Mark Gatiss who said: "Christmas has come early for Doctor Who fans everywhere. It's always wonderful when a missing episode turns up but it's been years since the last one so to have two is just brilliant. Add to that a proper bit of action from the legendary Chumblies (and the horrifying Rills!) plus the utterly mesmeric Patrick Troughton on great form. Well, what more could we all ask for?"

Over 100 episodes of Doctor Who from the 1960s still remain missing. The tapes were routinely wiped once the rights to repeat them had expired. It seems unfathomable to us today, but before the advent of DVDs and iPlayer, grainy black and white material was thought to no longer be of interest to the television audience. However, many film prints sold overseas have since been returned. These latest discoveries are the first complete episodes to have been located since 2004.

None of the four episodes of the 1965 adventure "Galaxy 4" were known to have survived, although a short extract had been retained.

Research has shown that the returned episodes originated from the ABC channel in Australia. In fact, the copy of The Underwater Menace is still missing a few short sections which were removed by the Australian censors upon its original transmission Down Under. Fresh scans of the missing material have been made by the National Archives of Australia and will be incorporated into the restored episodes ahead of a DVD release.

Details of a commercial release will be announced by 2 entertain

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Dec 2011 20:34:21 GMT
D. Harris says:
"Fresh scans of the missing material have been made by the National Archives of Australia and will be incorporated into the restored episodes "

That's intriguing - and confusing. It sounds as though it's saying that the National Archives kept the censored bits, so these can now be added back to the copies that Mr Burnett bought. But presumably they didn't keep the rest, or the BBC would have have uncovered them years ago? Or is this bit the "short extract"

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Dec 2011 23:10:39 GMT
Yes you would wonder what they are thinking. Releasing so many of the less than great...less than good episodes. And there was some talk around about redoing the dinosaurs with full blown CG in invasion of the dinosaurs. That could be a nice addition. So many classic Who's from Tom Baker and Pertwee are still unavailable, at least in some countries. Perhaps they think if they release all the choice ones no one will bother with the rest.

Posted on 13 Dec 2011 22:28:31 GMT
Ssorg says:
Play are now listing Face of Evil and The Daemons - release dates 5th March and 26th March respectively. 2012 is certainly shaping up as a bumper year, which is especially welcome after the empty end to 2011 after Colony in Space came out.

Posted on 14 Dec 2011 11:04:54 GMT
They're up for pre-order on here too - a great start to 2012 - daemons at last - and some fantastic covers to boot!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2011 11:31:27 GMT
Sophie says:
Five stars rapid! Sadly, though, there's no Return to Devil's End, which I was hoping for. http://www.bbfc.co.uk/AVV285996/

Posted on 21 Dec 2011 18:13:01 GMT
Ssorg says:
Checking the BBFC website, I noticed that a 'Coming Soon' trailer for Nightmare of Eden has been classified. It seems that must be the next release after The Daemons.

Posted on 25 Dec 2011 10:26:48 GMT
M/R says:
Take a peek here: http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_BBC_DVD_releases#2012

Posted on 25 Dec 2011 12:39:06 GMT
Sophie says:
What else would go on Lost in Time vol 2? My guess is both episodes of The Underwater Menace (with sound for the missing episodes as was done on LIT vol 1) and the new epidoe of Galaxy 4 along with the episode fragment we know - possibly again with audio filling the gaps.

Posted on 20 Jan 2012 20:12:04 GMT
Ssorg says:
Commentaries and trailers for the Ace Box Set (Dragonfire and Happiness Patrol) have been certified by the BBFC this week so it would appear that after the Daemons, we get Nightmare of Eden followed by the Ace Box Set.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2012 14:20:07 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Jan 2012 14:21:17 GMT
A. Kelly says:
D. Harris says:
"Fresh scans of the missing material have been made by the National Archives of Australia and will be incorporated into the restored episodes "
That's intriguing - and confusing. It sounds as though it's saying that the National Archives kept the censored bits, so these can now be added back to the copies that Mr Burnett bought. But presumably they didn't keep the rest, or the BBC would have have uncovered them years ago? Or is this bit the "short extract"
----------------
It is confusing, but correct. The censors chopped out the offending sections, kept them safe in their archive, and then eventually binned the actual (censored) programmes. So after restoration, they should be about as uncut they can be given the available material.

Posted on 2 Feb 2012 22:50:21 GMT
Nightmare of Eden and Ace Adventures are both available to pre-order on here now for April and May.

Posted on 28 Feb 2012 01:47:36 GMT
Ssorg says:
Death to the Daleks is coming on June 18th 2012.

Posted on 1 Mar 2012 17:29:44 GMT
Radar says:
I think that The Daemons should have been released on Monday 30th April which corresponds to the pagan festival of Beltane!

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Mar 2012 17:40:13 GMT
Sophie says:
I agree, the story takes place on April 30-May 1. They really missed a trick there!

Posted on 3 Mar 2012 10:04:27 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Apr 2012 07:40:41 BDT
This is ridiculous! Every time a new release from the eighties is announced someone moans "Why not "The Daemons"?". And now "why not on that date but one month early?". Oh God! You can order it for April the 30th if You like. Nobody can make You watch it before. In my case I am glad because the early release assures me that I can begin to watch it on the last Day of April ...

Posted on 3 Mar 2012 11:16:59 GMT
Sophie says:
Did you even notice *why* we think April 30 would be a good day? It's nothing to do with not being able to hold out a moment longer. Please read the actual comments instead of skimming and reacting.

Posted on 3 Mar 2012 14:09:49 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Mar 2012 19:07:13 GMT
'Course I do. And I read the comments. Still better too early than too late, don't You think? I often found the discussion why is this released and not that getting on my nerves. Everything available will be released in time. So more to look forward to.
Trying to watch the series in order I would have been happy for a chronological release but on the other hand I was glad I could skip as much of the Pertwee-Era at first. (Oh yes, silly me, he is my least favourite Doctor of all.) All this bashing by the Pertwee-Fanboys is really annoying. But getting what You want (I have not counted but "The Daemons" was very often mentioned) and then critsizing the release date is beyond me, even if the DATE would be fitting. Man, why don't they release the Christmas-Specials on Christmas the following year and not one month after it was was on TV?

Still, since I have only read the novel (yes, on April 30th and May 1st a few years back) and even though I am not fan of Pertwee, Jo Grant and the Master (although Delgado is in my opinion the best actor to have played him) I am looking forward to watch this hopefully entertaining piece when the mood ist right on these dates in this year.

Posted on 5 Apr 2012 02:23:21 BDT
Ssorg says:
Krotons will be the next release after Death to the Daleks.

Posted on 5 Apr 2012 11:50:19 BDT
Paul Tapner says:
A recent issue of Doctor who magazine had an interview with someone from 2entertain who said that there are impending releases that will suit the two recovered episodes, but also that we wont be seeing them on dvd in 2013. So if the Underwater Menace two isn't on the Krotons I wonder what it will be on.

Posted on 5 Apr 2012 17:25:51 BDT
There's nothing 100% definite about Krotons being next other than the BBFC have just cleared the additional material with a U certificate today - it's most likely, but not definite yet.

Posted on 6 Apr 2012 13:19:02 BDT
Ssorg says:
On the contrary, it is 100% certain that The Krotons will be the next release after Death to the Daleks as the 'Coming Soon' trailer for Krotons is on the Death to the Daleks DVD.

Posted on 11 Apr 2012 00:30:40 BDT
Extras passed for the krotons:

00:52:20:21 SECOND TIME AROUND - THE TROUGHTON YEARS
00:17:25:02 DOCTOR WHO STORIES - FRAZER HINES (PART 1)
00:07:16:08 THE DOCTOR'S STRANGE LOVE: THE KROTONS
00:05:24:24 THE KROTONS - PHOTO GALLERY

Seeing as no other extras for any other titles beyond death to the daleks have been passed by the bbfc its safe to say krotons is next after death to the daleks
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the science fiction discussion forum (546 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  245
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  7 Feb 2009
Latest post:  10 May 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 36 customers

Search Customer Discussions