Customer Discussions > science fiction discussion forum

L Ron Hubbard - Mission Earth

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Jan 2011 12:23:58 GMT
Mat Hillman says:
Just noticed that the first five books in the series are availbile on Kindle, but not volumes 6-10

Whats the point of only making half a story availiable ???

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jan 2011 17:04:32 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 27 Jan 2011 17:05:03 GMT]

Posted on 1 Feb 2011 05:50:49 GMT
John Hanton says:
It's a Scientology plot I tell you! You read the first five books and then you wander into a Sci temple and they kidnap you and mind ray your brain... or is that Lombar Hisst that does that? I lose track! :D

I read Mission Earth as I bought the hardbacks when they first came out and enjoyed them (I only have a couple of the hardback novels... the rest got soaked in a burst pipe incident)... Then I read them again a couple of years back and sort of hated them. Weird how your tastes can change over the years. I still read them all though as I hate reading the beginning of a story and not reading the end... which brings us back to the missing 6 novels.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Mar 2012 20:48:14 GMT
dazzlin says:
They are just pulp, but they went from being good pulp to bad pulp. Now Battlefield Earth I really enjoyed (the book, not the film!)

Posted on 11 Mar 2012 13:01:38 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Mar 2012 13:02:41 GMT
Mission Earth Volume 1: The Invaders Plan

I loved Mission Earth, along with Harry Turledove's 'Colonization' series about aliens attacking Earth during WWII. Both are about alien invasions gone bad.

Yes, the plot theory is true lol.

Posted on 12 Mar 2012 19:43:17 GMT
I read the first few titles of the Mission Earth series a good few years ago now ! By the fifth book you kinda knew what was gonna happen next. It was quite well written, but couldn't see it running to 10 or 11 titles without wanting to take a nose dive from a very high window !

Posted on 14 Mar 2012 12:59:10 GMT
Last edited by the author on 26 Mar 2012 01:24:02 BDT
I enjoyed the first five or so books.

'Battlefield Earth' was great. I loved the part where aliens observed starving humans catch and eat rats, and thought rats were our natural diet. The alien could not understand why captured humans seemed upset when fed humans more rats. He thought humans were just picky eaters.

Posted on 26 Mar 2012 01:26:37 BDT
"Battlefield Earth' is often described by critics as a terrible movie, but I loved it. I think that liberal critics dumped on the movie because of its patriotic themes.

Posted on 26 Mar 2012 09:03:15 BDT
Yes, the first 5 books was quite good. The next 2 so-so. The last 3 bad to worse..

And yes, Battlefield Earth is a great Sci-fi book..

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Mar 2012 09:06:04 BDT
Ken O'Neill says:
...or, just possibly, because it's a terrible film, and trying to push Scientology?
Picking just one glaring error in the film: Modern jet aircraft will not "just work" after 40 years in storage.

Posted on 26 Mar 2012 20:11:21 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 Mar 2012 20:42:05 BDT
How is the film pushing Scientology?

Yes, Hubbard and Travolta are Scientologists, but what religion is in the movie? None. Aliens conquer Earth in a day with superior technology. Mankind takes Earth back after falling back into the Stone Age.

Those jets and weapons still being operatable after all that time is not realistic, but so what? It's not an error, it's science fiction. The movie still had a good plot and good acting, contrasting human and alien culture, leverage and gold.

If you can't enjoy Battlefield Earth, you probably can't enjoy any science fiction movie about aliens invading Earth.

There aren't many good science fiction movies out there. Science fiction is difficult to make, and doesn't usually bring in the big money. Studios make about one good Sci/Fi movie every several years. I also liked Independence Day, Preditor, Battle Los Angeles, District 9, and the most recent War of the Worlds.

Re: The 'Mission Earth' series, it gets odd after about five books I agree. But being odd is what makes Hubbard stand out in this series. It's called humour. And, all ten books are now available on Amazon. Hmmm. the plot grows.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Mar 2012 22:13:29 BDT
Brian says:
No point at all , Mat - I agree.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Mar 2012 22:15:21 BDT
Brian says:
I wonder if they're still coming here John?

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Mar 2012 22:16:25 BDT
Brian says:
I must like pulp then , dazz!

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Mar 2012 22:18:24 BDT
Brian says:
Not a bad summary Mads - I haven't read Battlefield Earth yet.

Posted on 26 Mar 2012 23:10:00 BDT
The last 3 books are fantastic and worth getting. Have you checked Amazon U.S.A. as they some times have items not on sale in Amazon uk. Oh there was an audio tape version of these books so you could see if there are any on sale. I wish you well in your hunt, it's worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Mar 2012 12:45:33 BDT
Ken O'Neill says:
<i>How is the film pushing Scientology?</i>
If you have to ask how Battlefield Earth, or any of the works (including adaptions from them) of Lafayette Ron Hubbard are pushing Scientology, a religion he invented having earlier said "If a man really wanted to make a million dollars, he'd start his own religion", the issue is your lack of knowledge of Scientology I'm afraid. This is neither the time nor the place for the detailed discussion (possibly fight) that will result from my detailing further so I'd better just practice self-censorship and withdraw gracefully.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Mar 2012 14:15:33 BDT
P. J. Evans says:
According to Andy Hamilton in "Old Harrys Game" Satan invented scientology as a joke. Just about sums up the level the books are aiming at.

Posted on 27 Mar 2012 15:28:30 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Mar 2012 15:33:29 BDT
So what P.J. Evans is saying is that if the movie 'Battlefield Earth' is about money grubbing aliens searching for gold, it pushes Scientilogy? Sure, bow out, but it wasn't graceful. Lots of movies are about greed.

Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3000

As for Scientology being a joke, or a scam, or like any other religion, I don't care. The movie 'Battlefield Earth' and the book were pretty good.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the science fiction discussion forum (528 discussions)

ARRAY(0xa9d12600)

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  27 Jan 2011
Latest post:  27 Mar 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions