Customer Discussions > science fiction discussion forum

Looking for a new author, run out of things to read

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 452 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Apr 2011 18:37:16 BDT
Abi says:
Hi
I am an avid scifi reader and I am running out of authors.
I have read and liked:
Lois McMaster Bujold
Elizabeth Moon
Anne McCaffery (except the dragon series its too samey)
Asimov (except Foundation)
Robert Heinlein
Peter F Hamilton
David Brin
...this is just a few, I have been reading scifi since I was 14 and I'm now 34 so needless to say there are many, many more.
What I am really looking for is a romping space opera along the lines of The Serrano Legacy (Moon), or The Tower and Hive series (McCaffrey), or the Vorkosigan Saga (Bujold).
I like series of books as I need something to get my teeth into, and I dislike short stories for the same reason.

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.
Cheers Abi

Posted on 5 Apr 2011 18:57:21 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 19 Dec 2011 18:42:45 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Apr 2011 19:04:48 BDT
Anita says:
Have you tried Neal Asher's Polity universe, say, Spatterjay series? (You'd have to check Wikipedia for chronological order)

Charles Stross, maybe?

Give Jack Chalker a try. He's written some good stand alone books and quite a number of trilogies/quadrilogies. BUT I'd recommend Midnight At the Well Of Souls as a standalone book (albeit there are 11 (!) sequels)

Charles Sheffield The Heritage Universe, starting with Summertide. Myself, I really liked this one, but maybe it's just me. Say, I'm not so keen on Dune as everyone else here (it seems). And then, oh, I rather enjoyed Foundation years ago. And yes, I love Vorkosigan! (And David Brin even more)

Posted on 5 Apr 2011 19:13:08 BDT
Sophia says:
Have you tried Dune yet?

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Apr 2011 20:00:33 BDT
Try the shadowwarrior trilogy by chris bunch, also dragonmaster trilogy by same author.
What a fantastic writer, sadly no longer with us.
Happy reading

Posted on 5 Apr 2011 20:24:32 BDT
Anita says:
Have I really forgotten to mention Honor Harrington series by David Weber? In case you like intelligent military SF, that's a treat
Your reply to Anita's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on 5 Apr 2011 20:49:00 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 5 Apr 2011 20:59:44 BDT
Kurt Decoene says:
I know the feeling - Elisabeth Moon was a revelation, so was Peter F. Hamilton (reality disfunction/Nightdawn trilogy)
I'd certainly recommend the Janissaries series by Jerry Pournelle but those are hard to find.

Posted on 5 Apr 2011 21:01:43 BDT
Definitely David Weber and John Ringo's Prince Roger series - the first book is March Upcountry

David Drake's Daniel Leary series - The Way To Glory.

Read and enjoyed both and now listening to the audiobooks.

Cheers

Sudden Dearth

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Apr 2011 22:12:06 BDT
try the saga of recluce, or if you enjoy vampire novels, laurell hamiltons anita blake vampire hunter, but saga of recluce deals with chaos and order, sorcery, fighting, you may enjoy it

Posted on 6 Apr 2011 00:40:57 BDT
Abi says:
Thanks guys,
Thats some great ideas, particularly Anita.
I have read Neal Asher and enjoyed it though it wasn't my favourite, same for Charles Stross. In David Weber you have found one I have brushed with but never come across the Honour series, I will order the first 4 today and see how I go. I have never heard of Jack Chalker or Charles Sheffield, so those go on the list as well for further reasearch.
I read Dune for the first time at 14 and have read it twice more since and each time it has felt like I was reading a different book, if you didnt get it first time don't rule it out.
Thanks to James Linnane I have come across Chris Bunch but only as the author of Star'detective thingy' (sorry it was at the tip of my fingers), I found that a bit 'B' movie but will have a look at these series.

Posted on 6 Apr 2011 01:34:08 BDT
Anita says:
An afterthought:
The Gamestar Wars by William R. Forstchen:
The Alexandrian Ring (another version of Ringworld BTW)
The Assassin Gambit
The Napoleon Wager

Posted on 6 Apr 2011 04:57:03 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 8 Nov 2011 07:27:26 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2011 06:25:12 BDT
Mainak Dhar says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2011 10:08:13 BDT
Sophia says:
The first book of the Honorverse is available on baen books, so you can sample before you buy. As the series increases it's nice to have that option.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2011 21:29:21 BDT
Hop over to Baen Free library
http://www.baen.com/Library/

where you can try many authors' novels for free.

If you want something to get your teeth into I recommend Eric Flint's Grantville series starting with 1632. The premise is that a small area around the US town of Grantville gets thrown back in time to 1632. The enterprising inhabitants are stuck in a war zone with little more than superior knowledge to survive. There's the interaction with the natives, introduction of more modern technologies and fortunes to be made by selling e.g. Barbie Dolls. Although you don't like short stories, the Grantville "Universe" has really taken off with their own contributions and the Collection "Grantville Gazette" now runs to currently 34 volumes and are generally very good. Eric has also expanded on his original to almost a dozen books. The characters and situations obviously continue from book to book and the short stories nicely fill in the background.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2011 22:57:00 BDT
Mr Shh. says:
Have you tried any Alastair Reynolds?

He writes some very good space based Sci-fi. If you're interested then start with Revelation Space. I actually discovered it when I was in the book shop and tried it because I liked the cover.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2011 23:10:39 BDT
M John Harrison's Light (Gollancz S.F.) is outstanding. I reviewed it here:

http://www.culturecourt.com/Br.Paul/lit/LightMJH.html

And I have to mention my own book The Qliphoth

Posted on 6 Apr 2011 23:47:53 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Apr 2011 23:48:29 BDT
E. R. Welsby says:
How about Mike Shepherd's "Kris Longknife" series? A fun military SF series.
(My review: http://community.livejournal.com/mayitbe_books/4167.html )

Or John Scalzi's books, maybe? Particularly his Old Man's War series.

There's also the "Lost Fleet" series, by Jack Campbell... I think I've read the first three or four so far and they're quite good.

Posted on 8 Apr 2011 00:26:46 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Apr 2011 00:49:07 BDT
Like a poster above, I won't try to sell you my book, I don't have a series. But I will recommend Steve Miller & Sharon Lee's Liaden Universe books.

'Agent of Change', 'Carpe Diem', 'Plan B', 'I Dare' and others make an interesting read. I've read each of them several times. Together, these four are one plot-line.

Partners In Necessity: Conflict of Honors / Agent of Change / Carpe Diem (Liaden Universe) is a good place to start as it contains their first three novels. Conflict of Honors isn't my favourite, but Agent of Change and Carpe Diem hooked me. Actually, I read Carpe Diem first and spent years going through used book stores looking for Agent of Change.

Abi: with respect to 'Dune': I've read it a dozen times or so and each time I got something different out of it. One of my favourites of all time.

Posted on 10 Apr 2011 22:37:33 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 23 Apr 2011 18:53:09 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Apr 2011 06:57:56 BDT
Broken Planet by john otto. It is the sequel to 'Footprints in the Dust' look up reviews etc on amazon.co.uk and amazon.com...could be what you are seeking.
cheers

Posted on 11 Apr 2011 13:23:07 BDT
Any novel in the "Culture" series by Iain M Banks. His last two novels "Matter" and "Surface Detail" are very very very good.
"Red Mars" Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson.
A.A.Attanasio, "Radix" & "The Last Legends Of Earth"
cheers

Posted on 12 Apr 2011 22:18:25 BDT
Mr. B. Hirst says:
try going backwards, connecticut yankee ,verne,(online from gutenburg) stanley g weinbaum (tweel is still the greatest )
next of kin (Eric frank Russell )
in terms of space opera no one better than iain m banks (but you know that already)
for the really desperate e e doc smith produced at least 1 million novels (some of which must be readable)
always found dune sets my teeth on edge but the son has written some very good stuff (just motoshoe over and try it)
and don't forget Enders game (every smart kids epiphany? )
alfred Bester.....
and Mike Moorecock's fave, the ' interminable' sector general novels (White)

Posted on 13 Apr 2011 15:03:35 BDT
Why has no-one mentioned Philip K Dick? THE SF (if you can call his work SF) master of all time. Even the non-SF novels ('Man In A High Castle') are absolutely tremendous.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the science fiction discussion forum (547 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  246
Total posts:  452
Initial post:  5 Apr 2011
Latest post:  26 Mar 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions