Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn more Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > science fiction discussion forum

Trying to find 2 obscure sci-fi books.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Feb 2012 19:16:39 GMT
A. Jones says:
The first is set around a singularity or something similar, on an artificial system controlled by a giant insect type alien from another dimension. The planets are inhabited by the human dead from across history who were resurrected from their light rays. There were also some advanced lizard people who lived on Earth after humans went extinct who weren't happy being returned to life.

The second involves some sort of time bubble. They were first used as weapons but then people realised they actually froze time within them. The story follows a number of people as they jump through time in the bubbles to the end of the universe or something. At one point a scientist tries to create a chimp civilisation a few million years in the future.

Posted on 6 Feb 2012 20:50:35 GMT
zargb5 says:
Are u serious?????

Posted on 6 Feb 2012 20:54:23 GMT
Garscadden says:
The second one sounds like something Stephen Baxter would write.

Posted on 6 Feb 2012 21:04:53 GMT
walrus says:
the first could be Riverworld: Including to Your Scattered Bodies Go & the Fabulous Riverboat

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Feb 2012 22:02:22 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Feb 2012 22:07:02 GMT
A. Jones says:
Pretty sure it's not Riverworld, though it does sound similar. There were different planets in the system rather than one.

Timewise I must have read these about 15-20 years ago, so they are 80's or 90's. I think the time bubble one was a collection of stories (or maybe three short stories) based on the idea rather than one single novel.

I remember the Time bubble one had a picture of a futuristic jet or something similar flying over a large shiny bubble on the cover.

Posted on 6 Feb 2012 23:07:57 GMT
Ronaile says:
I think your time bubbles come from Across Realtime by Vernor Vinge. This combined two novels, The Peace War and Marooned in Realtime. Great stories

Posted on 7 Feb 2012 04:58:09 GMT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2012 15:57:02 GMT
A. Jones says:
Excellent Ronaile, the bubble one is indeed Across Realtime. Thanks for the help.

Now just one to identify.

Posted on 9 Feb 2012 02:13:14 GMT
(bimbos of the death sun) by mccrumb, sharyn(author)paperback dec-1996

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Feb 2012 13:24:19 GMT
Luder 85 says:
I don't remember the name, think the author surname began with an M.
Very large trees were involved and millions of year time frame, good ideas - bad writing.
Also featured rats who evolved post us, and said that the periodic die-offs were due to cosmic ray burster type spokes revolving around the centre of the galaxy, with an interval of about 65m years where earth was.

Posted on 14 Feb 2012 00:01:34 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Feb 2012 00:03:50 GMT
I think the first book wasThe Last Legends of Earth by, Alfred Angelo Attanasio, an excellent far future story by a master story teller.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Feb 2012 00:11:56 GMT
A. Jones says:
Thank you Vic, that is indeed the mystery book I was looking for.

Thanks to all who helped identify these two books.
Your reply to A. Jones's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2012 03:29:12 GMT
MPB says:
Your second book is this:

Across Realtime by Vernor Vinge

Across Realtime

Posted on 20 Feb 2012 03:30:17 GMT
MPB says:
Oops, I see Im not the first to point to Across Realtime!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the science fiction discussion forum (570 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  6 Feb 2012
Latest post:  20 Feb 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions