Customer Discussions > samsung discussion forum

Samsung LED TV stand design fault?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Feb 2010 13:23:41 GMT
S. Stringer says:
Samsung UE40B7020W 40-inch Widescreen Ultra Slim Full HD 1080P Crystal LED TV with Media 2.0 and Freeview

The acrylic post which holds the TV and allows for the screen to be partially swivelled has sheared right through at the top mounting points. Fortunately we caught the telly as it fell. In our opinion there is a basic design flaw with an intrinsic weakness in the moulding of this part. Watch out!

Posted on 23 Jun 2010 21:18:26 BDT
D. birch says:
just had exactly the same problem and was also lucky enough to catch it as it fell. Although i'm not looking forward to explainin this to my housemate when he gets home being his telly.. :(

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2010 21:58:06 BDT
S. Stringer says:
Sorry to hear that - ours wasn't a fluke then. Good luck with explaining to your housemate, but you can assure him that our retailer took the matter up with Samsung who supplied a replacement (modified design!!) free of charge. It looks like they know there's a problem.

Posted on 4 Oct 2011 06:50:50 BDT
Mine has been fine up until last night... it sheared off all on it's own during the night! Woke up to a bang and the TV on the floor!
Call to Samsung today then...

Posted on 4 Oct 2011 12:26:14 BDT
Chris Jones says:
Hi All
I have had exactly the same thing happen to my 22 month old 50" Samsung on 01/10/11. I have had no problems at all with it but when I moved it to change the viewing angle (as I have always done) it just fell as I walked away. The whole post has just sheared from the base. I have contacted Currys who are charging me £60 to asses the damage to see if it was through excessive use. I am awaiting for them to ring me back which they say will be within 72 hours. Under sales of goods act they should replace it, I am hoping!!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Oct 2011 10:24:22 BDT
S. Stringer says:
If they quibble, show them this thread. Personally I'd be reluctant to pay anything, have you tried contacting Samsung directly? Good luck.

Posted on 17 Oct 2011 04:15:09 BDT
D. Lench says:
for me personally i'd blow it up or sell it on ebay for a quid, everything you buy these days are absolute crap, probably a lot of fakes from china, it wonders to me that we still make babies this way, china this and china that, it gets on my nerves, maybe things would work properly again if they were made in the uk like they once were

Posted on 31 Jan 2012 23:26:46 GMT
Thanks for the warning. Have noticed my ageing mother-in-law's TV beginning to lean forward on the stand. Get ready for 'snap'! There is a legal redress for faults that originate at manufacture (ie through design) so may citizen's advice can help too?

Posted on 8 Feb 2012 23:25:21 GMT
Karl says:
I was just sat watching the TV Whilst it cracked, broke off at the base and landed on the floor - ruining both the TV and the floor. If a child had been sitting on the floor they could have been seriously injured/killed by the falling TV. Thanks a lot Samsung! :/

Posted on 15 Apr 2012 18:13:33 BDT
Stef says:
Moved my 32" LED tv and heard a snap, tv is now gingerly balanced on the cracked post. Any idea if spares are available anywhere?

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2012 19:21:46 BDT
S. Stringer says:
Yes a replacement (non-swivel) stand is available free of charge from Samsung, either directly or via your retailer. Try referring them to this thread if you need to. Good luck.

Posted on 9 Jul 2012 16:21:37 BDT
Mr. P. Kidd says:
The stand on our TV has just snapped unexpectedly and shattered the screen.
We are extremely angry and concerned about this, as it could have seriously hurt one of our children, had they been near it.
The stand has sheared off at the base just above the securing screws. Should they not be thinking about a recall for these before someone is seriously injured.
No help from Customer Services - out of the 1 year warranty and its hard cheese. WARNING you TV may fall on you at anytime?????

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jul 2012 19:22:39 BDT
S. Stringer says:
Persist with your complaint - refer them to this thread, this must be a widespread problem. : ( perhaps you'll get more satisfaction from contacting your retailer or writing to CEO of Samsung. Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jul 2012 08:25:35 BDT
Chris Jones says:
From earlier in this thread I said that my Samsung tv had fallen and smashed. I went through the process of a claim with Currys and metioned this post and also that in Australia there is a recall for the TV stands. Once I said that, they offered me £500 towards a new tv, which I did not accept, I ended up accepting £650. It took about 2 months from claim to payment. Know How (Currys) tried to say that I did not send the stand back for evaluation, so in other words they lost it, so if you send the TV and stand away make sure you get the courier to sign for both.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jul 2012 19:03:09 BDT
Mr. P. Kidd says:
Found these links:
http://www.current.com.au/2009/09/11/article/Samsung-responds-to-TV-stand-recall/VQKXPWIEVO.html
http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/968775
For anyone trying to get resolution regarding their self destructing television stands. Thanks for the feedback, it looks like the heavier sets have failed much quicker than my presumably 32inch set. I see there are plenty of sets with this stand wonder and can only wonder how long it will be before more stands fail lets hope no small child is beneath a set when it happens.

Model UE32B600VW Failed stand.

Posted on 27 Nov 2012 10:39:28 GMT
I have also experienced the same problem on my 51inch 3D Samsung TV could have resulted in an injury written to Samsung awaiting answer bought a stand from Plasma of Newcastle which cost me £239 which has sufficient strength to hold the TV Samsung have to clear up the quality of these stands before they are faced with a major lawsuit and even a very serious injury on their concious. Nick. Phillips.

Posted on 15 Aug 2013 22:51:28 BDT
Mr. S. Laks says:
the same thing happened to me as well , my wife was dusting the tv (40 inch LCD ) crash the tv came away from the swivel base landed on the floor , the swivel base pole has just sheared apart , tv ruined a chunk taken out of the wall , contacted John Lewis as i have a five year warranty with them , sent them photos of the damage , John Lewis have refered the case to Samsung , awaiting an engineer from Samsung to inspect the damage , this swivel pole tv base is a dangerous component ..

Posted on 12 Oct 2013 18:33:00 BDT
Ms C. ryan says:
We've just experience the same thing - luckily I noticed the TV was at an odd angle so just caught it as it fell -managing to save the TV. I took the broken feet into curries where I bought the TV over a year ago but they said they had never seen anything like it and basically it wasn't their problem and I'd have to purchase a new one for £160!!! I'm going to write to Samsung and complain - glad I decided to google it and found this thread.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Oct 2013 19:10:22 BDT
Mr. S. Laks says:
contact samsung directly , take photos .. i assume the acrilic swivel base that holds the tv broke away , if it is then samsung will replace the stand .. in my case the tv screen was cracked also .. so samsung replaced the screen and stand FOC.. keep in touch with the outcome

Posted on 12 Oct 2013 20:46:55 BDT
Ms C. ryan says:
Thanks for that - I'll contact Samsung and let you know.

Posted on 10 Dec 2013 17:56:28 GMT
hi the same has happened to me I have the 40inch led and got up the other morning and the tv was on the floor nobody was in the room when it fell and now it is totally gone , contacted Samsung got no joy what so ever they say its out of warranty and the stand isn't covered anyway , but after reading on here its clearly a fault with the stand so they should do something about it , that £1500 down the drain please if anyone has had any joy from Samsung about this please get in touch. tkmceramics@blueyonder.co.uk many thanks Tony

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Dec 2013 14:14:18 GMT
Mr. P. Kidd says:
Sorry I got no where with Samsung had to use my home insurance.
Was your stand one with the clear plastic cylinders on a flat base?
Have noticed they no longer do those stands on their models - gotta wonder.
Should have been a recall before someone is hurt if you ask me.

Posted on 11 Dec 2013 18:33:30 GMT
Ms C. ryan says:
Hi All - I contacted Samsung and sent them photos and quoted this discussion with so many people having the fault and how in Australia TVs were recalled because of the problem. My TV was out of warranty but I told them that no way should a stand shatter under the weight of a TV even 2 years old and if they didn't sort the problem soon a serious injury would occur and they were luck I was only claiming for the stand. The chap I spoke to said he would send me out a new stand. 3 weeks later i had to phone again to complain it hadn't arrived and at the same time wrote another email - that evening I got the standard letter explaining that as it was out of warranty I should go to their website and order one!!!! I sent a very stroppy email back explaining that they should look at my previous discussions and get their act together and deliver me a new one immediately before I take it further.
It arrived 2 days later!!! horrah!! I suggest you phone them again and stick your foot down - this cheap stand is going to kill a small child one of these days! It's very bad press for Samsung.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Dec 2013 18:47:38 GMT
yes mine is the one with the flat stand and clear plastic/glass tube and today after emailing the ceo ive had someone from his office call me and I have to email the serial number to him and hes going to send out an engineer to look at it. I don't no what will come of this but at least im getting to someone who can do something will keep you imformed thanks

Posted on 27 Dec 2013 20:47:30 GMT
Bob Rothman says:
It's just happened to us. We've a 40inch Samsung and my wife was at home and was just turning the TV so the kids could watch a DVD from the sofa when it went ... she rang me in desperation as the baby was on the floor and she was left holding it up. Luckily the 7 year old could bring her phone to her so she could call me otherwise she would have had to just let it drop! She called me on loudspeaker and I raced home to relieve her of holding it up so it didn't smash on the floor! Had a good look at it tonight. It's sheared right through at the base of the clear acryic post. Cleary a deign fault. Will be on to Samsung in the morning. Can't understand why they haven't recalled?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the samsung discussion forum (80 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  samsung discussion forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  7 Feb 2010
Latest post:  27 Nov 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions