Customer Discussions > samsung discussion forum

Samsung TV - what is the CI Card Adapter for?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Oct 2011 10:15:39 BDT
Gwyn Howell says:
Samsung UE40D5520 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 100Hz LED SMART Internet TV with Freeview HD - Charcoal Black

Just bought the Samsung UE40D5200 TV. Included is a CI Card Adapter, and there is a slot in the back of the TV for it. But what does it do, and what is it for?! The instructions are useless, it doesn't say anything other than how to fit it. In understand it stands for Common Interface Adapter, but still don't really understand what it does, or if I have any use for it in the UK? The fact that its called an adapter suggests that I plug something else into it? The question is, do I plug it in to the TV or not? And i fI do, what difference does it make?

Thanks!

Posted on 10 Oct 2011 14:06:01 BDT
knowlesie says:
The adaptor takes the card for 'paid for' TV Channels. If you read all the instructions it will give you a clue...I mean ALL the instructions.

Posted on 10 Oct 2011 14:25:10 BDT
Gwyn Howell says:
You mean the on-screen instructions? I have read them, but they talk in a language that assumes you know what a CI Adapter is. And I don't. I have resigned myself to the fact that it is useless in the UK, and is intended for use in countries that use 'paid for' TV channels. Please confirm if this assumption is true.

Posted on 19 Oct 2011 15:47:02 BDT
Try here for an explantion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Interface

Posted on 30 Oct 2011 15:05:13 GMT
Hello Knowlesie,
I am English but live in Switzerland. Here we need to have a CI as to view national channels require you to purchase a card. Here it does not come with the interface!!!! I would be interested in purchasing it off you if that is possible - it could be sent to my son in Winchester or to me if you do not mind. Currently I still use my old satellite box, which has an inbuilt interface, connected via a scart lead but the 'inelegance' of it annoys me. :-)

Posted on 6 Nov 2011 21:23:49 GMT
markster says:
you can connect a Top up tv card or subsription service card.

Posted on 28 Nov 2011 18:46:42 GMT
Massive1003 says:
If your english you will probably have sky plus so if just sell it to the swiss guy and if you did want extra footy channels theres cheaper ways try live online footy .com

Posted on 28 Nov 2011 18:46:43 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 28 Nov 2011 18:47:45 GMT]

Posted on 25 Apr 2012 07:47:23 BDT
I've got one too. I'll sell mine hapily. Brand new in packaging

Posted on 25 Apr 2012 09:18:33 BDT
Gwyn Howell says:
how much you wanna sell it for?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 May 2012 19:59:37 BDT
S. Erkki says:
Hello,
I could buy your adapter.

Please tell me to price.

I got mine telly without that.

Greets Eki

Posted on 22 Jul 2012 07:43:46 BDT
A. Garland says:
I have read all the above and still hazy on the subject. My new freeview Samsung based tv has a CI slot. Great tv For the majority of channels. But several listed channels are subscription service (some Sky) - and no clear indication of the source(s) of the subscription service. I have a Sky subscription already (for the present) - can my Sky card be used or is there something else I need?

Posted on 24 Oct 2012 13:37:39 BDT
There is a commom interface slot in the back of the TV which is great to buy Sky sports channels without subscribing to Sky.. Or maybe yo ucan pay for many other channels..

Posted on 1 Oct 2013 13:01:10 BDT
CI Adapter for sale!
Brand new...came with my samsung TV

Pls email olu.strategy@gmail.com

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Oct 2013 19:40:16 BDT
how much and what Tv did you buy?

Posted on 16 Dec 2013 22:18:47 GMT
can i use in this slot the card that's already in my satellite box provided to me by the national sat. comp.?

Posted on 24 Feb 2014 10:09:06 GMT
I have samsung tvs in the living room and 2 bedrooms they all have card slots. The bedrooms don't have aerial sockets so I have had to run cables in order to receive Freeview. Was just wondering if I bought freesat from sky cards and put them in the tv card slots would I receive tv without having to run cables. We have a communal aerial and dish as I live in a flat
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the samsung discussion forum (69 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  samsung discussion forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  9 Oct 2011
Latest post:  24 Feb 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions