Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Robert Plant and Soul Music

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Aug 2010 14:38:11 BDT
MC Zaptone says:
Just read a couple of RP interviews and was suprised to hear him say how he grew up listening to soul music and his first 'must own' album was James Brown Live At The Apollo. He claims that he doesn't connect to rock music any more as he associates it with ego mania rather than an art form.
He is currently listening to Americana/folk/country old and new. he feels it is much more 'earthy and relevant' and it takes him back to his roots in the Black Country, his dad and mates would sing and play fiddles in the front room.
Oh and of course he still loves soul music.

Is this the equivalent of finding out that your favourite footballer never liked the team you support or do you think we all mellow and tastes change.
MC

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2010 15:15:27 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Aug 2010 15:16:40 BDT
He would know all about the ego mania bit of the rock world all right. He is of course judging using his own standards. There does appear to be a huge number of bands who are in the bizz for reasons other than the need to satisfy an urge to create music for the sake of music. Making music to make money to "buy" kudos, magic dust, fame, appear on lunch boxes etc..... seems to be a more significant driving force than it used years ago.

To go back to Zeppelin, they had an amazing range of music across their studio albums, albeit stamped through and through with their distinctive sound, ranging from funk, through country, world music, blues up to hard rock. There was an impression of a musical quest or journey that was music centered, rather than the need to be on the cover of the equivalent of Heat Magazine back in the day.

What Plant is doing now is going back to the stuff he loved and never got around to covering when he was focussed on the rock world.

My tastes have changed with age and experience. I can still get a buzz from stuff I first heard thirty years ago, but am more willing to listen to genres that I previously detested.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2010 15:59:48 BDT
Val H. says:
I'm no authority on Led Zeppelin or Robert Plant but I agree with Smitty - as we get older we tend to revisit things we loved in our younger days and/or the stuff we grew up listening to. Plant does a track ("If It's Really Got To Be This Way") on the 1994 album "Adios Amigo: A Tribute To Arthur Alexander" that is pure soul magic. The albums features singers such as Roger McGuinn, Elvis Costello. Nick Lowe, Graham Parker, etc, but it's the Plant track that really stands out.

Posted on 27 Aug 2010 16:30:27 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
I think if I was a member of the greatest rock band ever I'd have some difficulty conecting with other rock music. I must get out there and listen to more of Plant's post Zep stuff. I've only got 'Mighty Rearranger' which sits at the top table in my house with all the Zep albums. It's seems normal to me to like a variety of genres. Mozart, James Brown, Neurosis. I love em all.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2010 16:40:35 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Aug 2010 16:42:44 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Don't think Plant's ever done a turkey but Pictures At Eleven was a cracker for his first post Zep album - £5 new delivered from Moviemars (also quite quick) on play.

Posted on 27 Aug 2010 16:41:13 BDT
Toffeeman says:
Well the EP he did under the Honeydrippers (in 1984) wasn't rock by any definition, and there was enough folk in the Led Zep canon to indicate that "loud" was never his only interest.

Anyway, are there people who only like one genre of music? How odd!

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2010 16:50:22 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Aug 2010 16:51:04 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Yes Toffeeman - they're young! Back when I was a teenager I was pretty much rock fixated and would summarily dismiss most other genres and styles. My teenage son has latched onto emo/rock bands like Bullet For My Valentine, Funeral For A Friend, Coheed & Cambria and can I hell as like get him to sample anything else from other genres and times. Even then the concept of listening to a whole album is an alien one - on a few days trip to N Wales he had his iPod & headphones on rather than listen to the car cd and every 5 minutes there would be a loud snick of the magnetic flip cover to move to a different track/artist. I can only hope wisdom and open-mindedness comes to everyone with age (as it so surely did with me!!!!).

Posted on 27 Aug 2010 17:13:37 BDT
I've never grown up!

Whilst I still enjoy most of the music that I did as a teenager, the one area that has really faded is folk, which is strange as that is what I used to play myself. My love of jazz has increased, and I'm still open to new music. Soul was a genre that really never struck much of a chord with me, and still doesn't - I can't say I've none, but there's just the odd album.

As to whether a musician/singer listens to the type of music that they perform on stage at home has no relevance to me - it's what they do it their day-job that counts.

Posted on 27 Aug 2010 18:27:14 BDT
I think RP only really sang hard rock because he could - dizbustery was only part of Zep's (and his) eclectic make-up and had he not got that voice then either he wouldn't have been in the band in the first place or Zep may have needed a new direction right from the get-go. Page has said that at the beginning it could easily have become 'an Incredible String Band kind of trip' and I think that would have suited both of them and maybe JPJ (though maybe not Bonzo). I can't ever recall RP ever saying that he especially liked heavy or hard rock - I always assumed he favoured West Coast rock along with blues, folk. world etc. To his credit he continues to seek different kinds of music out - I gave up trying that years ago. Still a pity he supports The Dingles, though...

Posted on 27 Aug 2010 22:57:03 BDT
Puffany says:
It makes sense that he loves soul music because he's always been into music delivered with passion.
He has mentioned his fondness for 60s bands or bands that started in the 60s as well in several interviews in the past like: 13th Floor Elevators / Spirit / Jefferson Airplane / Incredible String Band / Moby Grape /Grateful Dead / Love (he's a big Arthur Lee fan). If you listen to his (remastered) Dreamland album, which is almost an entire album of covers, he does what I reckon is the best version of 'Morning Dew' i've ever heard (sorry Cornish) and is used on the 'Banger Sisters' soundtrack. The same album features an 'original' bonus track 'Dirt In A Hole' which is pure 60s psychedelia, and an awesome version of 'Darness Darkness'............sorry to get off track there doing an album review but the point is that he is a very intelligent bloke with a huge appreciation of music in general. The only genre he has given a thumbs-down to is the heavy metal genre in general.

Posted on 27 Aug 2010 23:18:48 BDT
gille liath says:
He's been saying that for many years now - at least since the time of Remasters. One of Zep's earliest recordings was Babe Please Come Home, a James Brown-style vocal workout. And if you listen closely, especially live, they always had a funk approach with their rhythm section.

So no, it's not revisionism, and it's not really news. At most he's playing it up a bit to feck people off - he seems to like doing that.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2010 23:24:51 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Let's not transmogrify Percy and Zep into funk messiahs - let's not forget The Crunge!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  27 Aug 2010
Latest post:  27 Aug 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions