Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Vinyl Prices

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Jun 2014 14:02:41 BDT
Shroompicker says:
Seem to have gone stratospheric of late.

New First Aid Kit 21.99?
New Felice Brothers 23.99??
New Lykke Li 24.99???
New Conor Oberst 38.99 ?!??! (Yes I know it probably sux anyway)

One might have to start acquiring music from nefarious sources if this is the new normal.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jun 2014 07:28:26 BDT
S.R.J says:
Coonor Oberst is way over priced, but taking into account average inflation a 4.99 album in 1980 would now cost 21! I guess we are used to Cds being so cheap ( relatively) .
S.R.J

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jun 2014 08:25:48 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Jun 2014 09:14:28 BDT
Brass Neck says:
The problem as I see it, having picked up a highish-end record deck off ebay (I still have 500+ vinyls from 73-87 or so), is that for 20+ that vinyl is going to have to be PERFECT and, even with 180 gram 'heavyweight' vinyl, there's still every chance of audible imperfections. I've only picked up one second hand vinyl which was ATLANTIC BLUES - GUITAR-PIANO-VOCALISTS-CHICAGO - 8 LP-BOX - VINYL and a bargain at about 20 for 4 double albums. I was skeptical but thrilled when the first three albums were nigh on pristine but the one I saved till last must've been a fave with the previous owner too - Chicago - as there were small lumps of gunk in the grooves and quite a few bits with Rice Krispies accompaniment. I've got a few reggae re-issue vinyls in my zon basket, some available MUCH cheaper than zon but how will they be packed and delivered? How do you go about sending them back if they're defective? If you are tempted by a third party seller overseas you need to watch the price - anything over 15 inc postage could be held up by the post office for VAT and have to pay their entirely fair 'handling' charge of about a tenner.

I think I've only ever had maybe 3 defective brand new cds out of thousands bought (though here I'm only referring to playing and skipping issues, not the terrible brick wall MP3-friendly mastering of so many these days) and even second hand cds form our friends zoverstocks which have seen some action and have visible scuffs and scratches rarely turn out to have audible problems.

If you do buy second hand vinyl based on looks (no scratches or warps, etc) it can turn out that the grooves are worn out, my original first two Stranglers' albnums are a case in point. They look great, I always bought pvc liner bags for my records and handled with care but my dad's less than brilliant music centre deck a third of a century ago (ouch) rendered them pretty knacked from a listening point of view.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jun 2014 12:52:52 BDT
Shroompicker says:
Take your point, have just noticed that vinyl has shot up 50% + over the last few months across the major labels, Columbia/Atlantic/Warner etc. If you were cynical you could almost imagine they have got together of late and decided to increase prices uniformly. Some of the smaller labels have also increased in line with the big boys.

Those 4 albums I listed above would have been priced at max 15-16 on day of release at Amazon a year ago.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jun 2014 13:01:16 BDT
Shroompicker says:
I have returned at least six new records in the last year because of production faults. Some of the replacement copies even came with the exact same fault. Not to mention all the noisy presses you get now.

If I thought I was guaranteed a problem free pressing I might be encouraged to pay the extra but just don't believe that will be the case as the industry don't invest in purpose built plants anymore, understandably.

Posted on 12 Jun 2014 14:12:55 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Jun 2014 23:06:22 BDT
Johnny Bee says:
Aye. To quote Richard Thompson, you just can't get the shellac since the war.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jun 2014 17:35:06 BDT
>>> says:
Spot on, Brass Neck. No matter how clean an LP appears in the shop, one never knows exactly what quality one has paid for until it is actually on the deck after cleaning and a couple of plays to clear the grooves.

Posted on 22 Jun 2014 07:43:39 BDT
Tikka says:
Although some of my old elpees sound better through my (mid-range Sony) system than the equivalent CD, I have too many with extraneous noise out of the shop to risk buying any more now.

CDs are, in general, good enough for me to actually listen to the music (rather than the 'sound').
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  10 Jun 2014
Latest post:  22 Jun 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions