Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Led Zeppelin- Live

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 132 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 May 2012 17:41:38 BDT
Mad Earwig says:
Heard a lot of live Zeppelin material in my time, but been blown away by a live recording of them in Southampton 1973.

Called 'Any Port In A Storm' known as a lost soundboard recording, it is brilliant and you Zeppelin fans gotta track it down.

Jimmy Page apparently has all the master tapes of all the live shows...wish he would release a couple more live albums.

Despite having quite a few, any other recommendations gratefully received.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 21:02:29 BDT
not any more he doesnt. his house was robbed and thats why you have got any port in a storm on soundboard .

you will find shed loads of led zep on " the clock that went backwards" bootleg site.

also try "rock anthology" or bootleg addiction" for led zep boots.

i have about 150 now but the best ones imo are " conquering kingdome" in seattle 77, "listen to this eddie" la 77 which is a mike millard audience recording but excellent quality and "the devils blues" at filmore west in 69

Posted on 31 May 2012 21:18:54 BDT
Mad Earwig says:
Nice one R&R...

Research has commenced.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 23:44:53 BDT
Yes, I have that one. It was recorded professionally on multi track by Eddie Kramer, ergo the superb sound quality. Why it never got a legit release is hard to figure out. It is my fav Zep bootleg by far.

I reckon Zep hit their peak on the 73 tour, thereafter lifestyle issues began to affect the music. Sure there are stunning parts of shows, but I find the super extended improv sections hard to thole. Pages guitar solo on the 77 tour was just a dismal racket in the main. JPJs solo spot is also wearing on the patience on the later tours. Maybe these sections/solos were this length to let the rest of the band "relax" off stage, perhaps......

"Listen To This Eddie" is a great 77 tour boot.

Olympic Gold is a good set of studio outtakes from Pages stuff with other artists 1964 - through to Zep 1968.

Another stunning collection of studio outtakes is "Thats the way through the Out Door", featuring instrumental versions of No Quarter, the complete and unedited All My Love, which has a guitar solo at the end chopped off on the In Through The Out Door album, and a killer Since I've Been Loving You.

Robert Plant at Glastonbury 1993 is a superb gig. Plant does a lot of his solo stuff and a pleasing amount of Zep.

Coverdale and Pages Yoyogi Olympic Pool gig on Dec 18th 1993, albeit an audience recording, is well worth getting as it features a fine selction of Coverdale Page material, some Whitesnake and some Zep, all played magnificently well by a stunning band.

Some of the Page and Plant shows, with the Egyptian Orchestra/local orchestras, are well worth catching up on. Both Page and Plant tours had lots of stuff shifted around to make it worth getting hold of a few from each tour. Osaka Castle 15th Feb 1996 is a stunner and has magnificent sound quality all the way through.

So much music.........................

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jun 2012 14:52:11 BDT
i totally agree smitty about the lifestyles that affected the music after 73.

i much prefer the 69-73 boots as the self indulgance hadnt crept in by then.

yes the plant at glastonbury is very good. "What Is And What Should Never Be" is the title but tracks 8,9 and 10 come from a 1988 gig.

other ones i recommend are=

page / black crowes " Hots On For Pittsburgh" where you get the crowes songs which didnt appear on live at the greek.
coverdale / page "rehearsals" which is soundboard too.
led zep "psycho a gog go" which is the earliest known soundboard you will find from 1969. also a good 69 boot is " live at the whisky"
also live on blueberry hill and earls court 25 june is great.

actually the 75 tour was not bad , plenty of soundboard available for then and 73.

one last item you may be interested in is a site called "zeppelin art.com" where you can find the names of all the boots available in their different forms and names plus all the artwork.

i sometimes just google the title and go from there.

good luck.

Posted on 1 Jun 2012 14:58:22 BDT
i have the whole of the 1980 "tour over europe" but i find the title of one ,"return of the aushwitz" plus the cover of skulls very distasteful......not a bad gig tho' as on this tour it was a very stripped down affair with out the extended improvs.

Posted on 1 Jun 2012 17:04:26 BDT
some to avoid as completely unlistenable are

detroit 1970
wembley ( electric magic)

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jun 2012 17:43:00 BDT
Got Page and Coverdale "Checks and Chops", most likely a retitled "Rehearsals", good stuff indeed.

The Sheperds Bush Rehearsals for the Zep gig in tribute to Ahmet Ertegun is absolutely superb. There is a 2 cd set which is the full monty.

More later. Thanks for the info!

Posted on 1 Jun 2012 21:25:21 BDT
gille liath says:
There are loads of great Zep bootlegs. My favourite is Blueberry Hill. It's all brilliant, but the extended rock'n'roll medley on Whole Lotta Love is absolutely awe-inspiring: some of it obviously impromptu. Such fantastic musicians, such a good vibe, no-one can touch them when they're like that. Good sound,too.

Posted on 8 Jun 2012 19:17:05 BDT
Uncut have a Zeppelin special edition out on the bookshelves at the mo. Its alright.......

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jun 2012 19:19:31 BDT
I have a 73 gig in Germany when the most amazing bit of Bonzo drumming can be heard behind Plants whoo hooing. Plant is trying to finish some song and Bonzo just keeps dropping these snare roll bombs, eventually Plant gives up and then the band go off into a spot of improv. It was around the time of Bonzos birthday. Must dig it out. Best example of Bonzos drumming ever, I reckon.

Posted on 3 Jul 2012 13:53:09 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 08:21:56 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jul 2012 12:31:35 BDT
he says after miming along with his hairbrush to his new madonna greatest hits cd.

"Like a Virgin.........."

OMG! it gets worse . ive just seen music you've tagged . people like duffy , alesha, the jonas brothers and wait for it ...........peter andre.

your credibility is ZERO!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 12:52:56 BDT
bonzo had his birthday in l.a. in 73 and there is a bootleg called bonzo's birthday party, so it wasnt then . zep toured germany in march and bonzos birthday is 31 may.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 14:11:45 BDT
Brass Neck says:
I don't think young Kevin has any delusions about his 'cred' rating, likes what he likes and ................. pours utter bile and derision on what other folk like. Did I see recently on another thread that he's an accountant so he started on minus cred points anyway!

Posted on 4 Jul 2012 14:39:36 BDT
bloody accountants . mine charged me 1200 this year.

grrrrrrrr!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 14:50:44 BDT
March, May, whats a couple of letters.................? I got it with minimal info and knew that there was something wrong with the date of his birthday. Nonetheless, it was in Germany and has some of Bonzos best drumming on it. It is a real pity that it was an incomplete soundboard as it had all the makings of a classic gig.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 14:51:27 BDT
Ah, but how much did he save you? Did he work for Jimmy Carr as well???

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 15:27:28 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jul 2012 15:32:56 BDT
whats the title of it smitty? is it the hamburg gig?

saved me 1800

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 16:21:41 BDT
Post Soviet says:
Kevin, what's your birthday, I'll send you nice copy of 'Beatles on BBC' 2CD boot...

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 17:15:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jul 2012 17:15:41 BDT
Actually its from Vienna, March 16th, 1973 and is called Led Poisoning. Just threw it on there now, just to make sure. The boot starts off part way through Dazed and Confused, a fade in, but is worth having for the astounding level of energy and drive the whole band have. Page and Bonham are playing out of their skins(metaphorically speaking).

1800, thats fairly handy, although it is not in the same league as 3M.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 18:42:52 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jul 2012 18:43:24 BDT
sounds like you have the "flying disc" version of that gig. does it have led zep in red letters?

it is available in full concert form but i've yet to come across it yet.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2012 07:56:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Jul 2012 07:59:07 BDT
Flying Disc it is, with the red writing. I might have a download of the full show somewhere(I went through a phase of getting far too many gigs by too many artists that were soundboard from a site that has since closed, although the links might still be active, called Qualitybootz) but cant be bothered to look for it(too much other good music to get through to make hunting through badly labelled files a prospect to relish).

I was downloading stuff at a rate that I could not keep up with on the listening side so I gave up downloading. The thought of downloading anything of significance ever again makes me shudder. Maybe someday I might recover.......

If I do have it I will let you know.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2012 22:15:40 BDT
Derek W. says:
Smitty/R'n'R Animal - no having much else to do at the moment, waded through Qualitybootz, and discovered that there is a version of the complete show on there which seems to have been put together from two separate audience sources and the soundboard source. Dazed And Confused (29 minutes of it) on this version has been put together using Audience Source 1 and an Audience Source 2/Soundboard Matrix.

Downloaded it earlier and it's not bad even though CD 1 consists entirely of either Audience SOurce 1 or 2 tracks, and CD2 seems to have been stitched together from the three sources, apart from Heartbreaker which is pure Soundboard.

The link below will take you to the correct page, and it's about two thirds of the way down if you're interested. Alternatively, since I've already downloaded it I could copy it to CD-R if either of you wants it

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jul 2012 19:49:45 BDT
well i'm interested in trading bootlegs ....ie swapping.

do you have any bands that you want bootlegs by. i have nearly 700 bootlegs that i would be willing to give to anybody that was interested.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  132
Initial post:  31 May 2012
Latest post:  5 Sep 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions