Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Howz about a bit of Bowie

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Oct 2008 10:05:25 GMT
Nugent Dirt says:
I've been on this forum for about a month but dont recall any mentions of Bowie which is odd. What's your fave period and which do you rate as his top 3 albums. I much prefer his Thin White Duke period to anything else and IMO his masterpiece is Station to Station, followed by Heroes and Scary Monsters. Hon mention goes to Stage which IMO is a very underrated live album on which many of his older tunes work much better than the studio originals e.g. Five Years and Soul Love.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2008 10:12:57 GMT
hypergod says:
Hunky Dory; Diamond Dogs; Young Americans and for a live album, the superb David Live.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2008 14:02:51 GMT
In my opinion he's made five albums that could be described as "absolute genius" and these are Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, Hunky Dory, Young Americans and Station to Station.

The so called "Berlin trilogy" leave me a bit cold as does Scary Monsters. Diamond Dogs, TMWSTW and Space Oddity are all very good but not in the same league as the above five. And after the mega selling Lets Dance, he never hit the heights again......

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2008 20:57:36 GMT
Number Six says:
Tough choice. My favoured era is the 70s purple patch, Man Who Sold The World, Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust and Aladdin Sane. I know the latter is the more commercial offering, but the combo of the Spiders plus Linda Lewis on bv's and Garson on keys is pretty amazing.

As to 3 out of the lot, Ziggy Stardust, Station To Station and Scary Monsters.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Oct 2008 21:59:24 GMT
pikeyboy says:
My three favourite Bowie albums are: 'Hunky Dory', 'Alladin Sane' and 'Ziggy Stardust'. Boring choices, I know, but they speak for themselves.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2008 18:24:21 GMT
Cartimand says:
Bowie was at his most inventive during the early 70's.

For me, his best compositions are;
1) Cygnet Committee
2) Width of a Circle
3) Memory of a Free Festival
4) The Bewley Brothers
5) Five Years

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2008 18:40:26 GMT
R. A. Dawe says:
hunkey dorey is a masterpiece
i still love space oddity
diamond dogs [ wot a film that would make ]
i think the last great bowie album was scary monsters [ well half of it ]
hated the 80s stuff [ lets dance is dreadfull ] tonight - the only bowie album on cd - i dont own [ i like never let you down [ a bit ]
tin machine stuff was a bit naff - but fun [but boy they were great live ]
heathen [ um ] reality [ um ] yes i brought them day one - and played them over and over for a few weeks - but albums i dont think ill go back too
but with bowie [ i cant wate for the next one ]

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2008 20:25:03 GMT
Bowie's 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s work are all a pale glimmer in the long long shadow of his masterpiece I Dig Everything.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2008 00:01:29 GMT
pikeyboy says:
Er....so, we're all wasting our time then? "Ha ha ha! Tee he he....." you are The Laughing Gnome and I claim my five pounds!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2008 00:22:35 GMT
All Bowie's studio albums from Hunky Dory to Scary Monsters (but excepting Pin Ups) can be considered great, but best of all is Station to Station, which along with Kate Bush's Hounds of Love is the greatest album ever made.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2008 10:04:39 GMT
Nugent Dirt says:
Good to see a few votes here for Station. All the tunes are great but top of the pile are the title track and the shiny funk of Stay.
Why did it all go wrong after Let's Dance which itself is only half decent?

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Nov 2008 02:14:17 GMT
kiefspoon says:
Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs & Station To Station - that's all you need!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Nov 2008 14:24:02 GMT
M.M says:
I think I'd do a bit of pick n' mix. I really love Station To Station but I also have a soft spot for The Man Who Sold The World. Ziggy is obviously a classic and so is Alladin..... anyhoo

Top 3 would be: Station To Station, Ziggy Stardust and TMWSTW

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Nov 2008 14:44:29 GMT
Ap Graham says:
Heroes, Earthling, Station to Station

Must also mention Reality which i seem to be listening to rather a lot.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Nov 2008 18:00:10 GMT
FDJ says:
I loved his 70's output,but since then he has left me cold.Still he did bring Stevie Ray Vaughan to a larger audience.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Nov 2008 15:04:46 GMT
Mad Earwig says:
Loved Ziggy Stardust but played it to death now...looks like I am in a minority as I love 'Low' and 'Heroes' (esp both side 2's) and I too love 'Station to Station' Tried to get into the 80's output and since but cannot...and can't play 'Lodger' or 'scary Monsters'

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Nov 2008 11:22:03 GMT
Cartimand says:
I would also mention Bowie's inspired covers of Jacques Brel songs - notably Amsterdam and My Death, which prompted me to check out the original work of this brilliant singer-songwriter.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2008 16:45:42 GMT
Jellybean says:
Over theyears I have always rated Station To Station (especially 'Stay') and Low as Bowie's most consistent two, although a mention must be made for 'Teenage Wildlife' from Scary Monsters, as one of his most underated tracks. But no one seems to mention Heathen, which in my opinion ranks above anything old Bromley Boy has ever done. Fantastic track after fantastic track, especially 'Slow Burn', 'Sunday' and 'I Would Be Your Slave'. Brilliant return to form, and the follow up 'Reality' is also very good, if not as consistent. Such a shame he had his heart problem, as he seemd to be on such a burst of form lately, with Visconti back at the helm.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2008 17:54:58 GMT
a Stockdale says:
How about lodger thats one of his best

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2008 18:18:52 GMT
spiderboris says:
I'm one of those odd sorts who prefers his more recent material, although I have been revisiting Low recently.

1. Outside as it is so called, rambling and pretentious concept / plot wise (Bowie: 'Look, Brian, I'm an actor now - I can do these spoken-word cyberpunk monologues in between the songs... can't I?' Eno: Hang on Dave, let me just consult my magic cards... yes, David, the answer for today is a resounding YES!') but has some great stuff on there (I'm Deranged, Heart's Filthy Lesson, Strangers When We Meet.)

And yes, Earthling is great! Providing you like banging DnB. Remember hearing him doing an acoustic version of Dead Man Walking a good few years back, was interesting to hear it stripped back like that.

And I think Never Let Me Down is the shiz. Fine if you can tolerate that deeply synthesized eighties pop-soul production. Time Will Crawl! Beat Of Your Drum! That mad when where he tells some story about an alien spider in a tesseract or whatever!

One of his more recent ones is the different version of Bring Me The Disco King on the Underworld soundtrack, produced by Danny Lohner of Nine Inch Nails and with Maynard Keenan from Tool on backing vocals. A right old spookfest...

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Dec 2008 22:45:21 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Dec 2008 22:45:45 GMT
Mad Earwig says:
Hey Spider, Maybe you shouldn't have smoked that last bowl

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Dec 2008 23:03:02 GMT
D. Jones says:
I also love Low and Heroes - the so-called "Berlin Trilogy" (even though I believe Lodger was recorded somewhere in Switzerland?) really does it for me. The Bowie/Eno collaborative second halves of Low and Heroes are sublime and the A-sides made up of phenomenal, still exotic (I think) new-wave pop music. If you like this era you wouldn't go far wrong seeing the film Christiane F (Wir Kinder Vom Bahnhof Zoo) in which Bowie makes a brief appearance as himself (in concert). The soundtrack is made up of tracks from Station To Station, Low, Heroes and Lodger; all of which are absolutely astounding albums. 1976-1979 all the way.

I do have special places in my heart for Hunky Dory and Diamond Dogs though : D

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Dec 2008 11:03:44 GMT
Last edited by the author on 10 Dec 2008 11:05:37 GMT
spiderboris says:
Smoking? Not me, Earwig, I'm on a strict diet of milk and green peppers. Hitler was the first rockstar etc...

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Dec 2008 15:44:11 GMT
Easy, Aladdin Sane, Station to Station and Scary Monsters

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Dec 2008 14:20:08 GMT
BOF © says:
Man who sold the world
Hunky Dory
Ziggy Stardust
Aladdin Sane
Station to Station
end of.................................
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (751 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  28 Oct 2008
Latest post:  13 Dec 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions