Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Nov 2012 17:42:10 GMT
Name flashed by me today. Real blast from the past. I had heard some but not much all those years ago and never followed up on them.
Listening on Spotify at mo and they sound pretty fine, kinda Caravan meets Tull thing going on.
Don't recall seeing them mention in dispatches on here anytime which seems odd.
So anybody any fnd memories or recommendations?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2012 21:37:42 GMT
Martin says:
Yes, and I think we've discussed them before. Actually a jazz/rock band in the image of BST and early Chicago (i.e. a big band with horns and vocals), though British formed by the late Dick Morrissey. The first four albums (imaginatively titled If 1-4) were the best, after which substantial line-up changes and an attempt at a more generic rock sound left them floundering somewhat. If (see what I did there?) you want a taster, there is a very good compilation of those early works called 'What Did I Say About the Box, Jack?', named after one of their classic tunes.

Posted on 23 Nov 2012 22:52:12 GMT
MC Zaptone says:
Also, great film with great music Missa Luba

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Nov 2012 00:23:25 GMT
Wharf Rat says:
Seconded I believe 'Santus' was a minor hit in the charts,remember
Alan Freeman playing the track on his show.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Nov 2012 13:41:08 GMT
Its only taken about 40 years!! Saw that film and was especially taken with the Sanctus but never discovered who had performed it.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Nov 2012 16:59:15 GMT
Martin says:
By some bizarre coincidence, one of my favourite films of all time!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Nov 2012 11:28:25 GMT
I see now why I've never seen them mentioned prevoiusly. Only achieved a whole 5 responses and just one of them on topic.
So not a highly popular band then!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Nov 2012 11:39:15 GMT
Martin says:
Well I like 'em!

Posted on 25 Nov 2012 11:52:52 GMT
Adrian K says:
I like 'em too, and have a few of their albums. They seem to be well liked by people who know them, but not as well known as they deserve to be.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Nov 2012 11:53:45 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Nov 2012 12:12:05 GMT
I've ordered up a live album and may possibly obtain more

Posted on 25 Nov 2012 12:25:18 GMT
Mondo Ray says:
Sanctus (Missa Luba) by Troubadours Du Roi Baudouin was in the UK charts for 9 weeks in 1969, peaking at 28. My almost worn out single on the Philips label is in a box in either the garage or the loft. Great toon from stunning movie - early Malcolm Mcdowell movie I think?

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Nov 2012 14:56:02 GMT
Adrian K says:
Mondo, just as we get this thread back on topic you are taking it off again. Topic is If the 70s jazz rock band, not If the movie. As I think you are old enough to remember them, did you ever hear of them? I was saying earlier that they were not that well known, perhaps you could confirm that?

Peter is it Europe 72 that you have ordered?

There seem to be several remastered versions of the If albums since I got mine. I have If and If2 as a twofer, but now If has been remastered with extra tracks, and If2 is due to be released with some live from Liverpool.

If4 and Waterfall have many tracks in common, but some are exclusive to each. If 4 - German Tour Edition 72 + Bonus has all the original tracks from If4 + the 2 other tracks from Waterfall + 4 tracks live at BBC, so that is the one to go for.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Nov 2012 15:38:21 GMT
It's Fibonnacci's No. i have on order.
I only vaguely recall hearing them as a teenager and that someone I knew back then had one of their albums.
Is th\at German tour edition a remaster?

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Nov 2012 16:54:18 GMT
Adrian K says:
No, it seems the remastered If4 only has 6 tracks, whereas the German Tour Ed has 12.

Posted on 25 Nov 2012 17:33:36 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 30 Nov 2012 11:19:35 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2012 17:27:49 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 12 Dec 2012 12:12:01 GMT]

Posted on 30 Nov 2012 22:54:05 GMT
Fibonnacci's No. sounds a bit flat, possibly because it turns out to be mono recordings. Also turns out to be one of those "great lost" tapes. Always a dngerous proposition

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2012 23:25:45 GMT
Adrian K says:
Sorry to hear that Fibonnacci's No. is a disappointment. I do not have that one in my collection, so can't make much comment on it, but if you want to give them another chance, I would say go for one of the first 4 albums.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2012 02:16:30 GMT
mancheeros says:
Hello!

Posted on 5 Dec 2012 13:06:36 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Dec 2012 16:24:53 GMT
Gordon Dent says:
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I found myself this morning with Telly Savalas's version of Bread's "If" stuck in my head. The lyrics of that song always bugged me. Take the opening lines:

If a picture paints a thousand words,
Then why can't I paint you?

Bit of a logic gap there. It's a bit like saying, "If a mechanic can fix a car, why am I not a mechanic?" Perhaps you can't paint 'er because you're not a painter.

If a face could launch a thousand ships
Then where am I to go?

Troy, perhaps? Santa Claus, Indiana? Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyndrobwllllantisiliogogogoch? Wherever you like. What's the ship-launching ability of a face got to do with it?

Next, the most truly toe-curling lines:

If a man could be in two places
At one time, then I would be with you
Tomorrow and today:
Beside you all the way.

Excuse me but that's being in one place at two times, not two places at one time. I think all of us can manage to be in one place at two times. I'm at my desk at work today and I'll be at the same desk at the same time tomorrow. Miraculous, huh?

Then you and I would simply fly away...

Make your own way, Mr Gates. I'll sort myself out.

Posted on 5 Dec 2012 16:10:47 GMT
nocheese says:
Gee, thanks, Gordon; the stupid song will be my resident earworm now.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2012 17:45:55 GMT
Gordon Dent says:
And I bet that tomorrow you'll have an inexplicable desire to watch some old episodes of Kojak.

Posted on 5 Dec 2012 18:05:48 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 12 Dec 2012 12:12:31 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Dec 2012 10:00:41 GMT
easytiger says:
Here's a relevant favour then 'My Boy Lollipop, ba ba ba ba'. Now that's a better class of earworm innit?

Posted on 11 Dec 2012 11:28:32 GMT
nocheese says:
You swine, et!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  23 Nov 2012
Latest post:  20 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions