Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Unfairly maligned rock genres #3 nu-metal

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Dec 2013 11:06:58 GMT
Nugent Dirt says:
I never had any issues with the the likes of Limp Bizkit and others of the hip hop inspired, baseball capped, baggy shorted persuasion. But they sure as hell got a drubbing from the hacks when albums started selling by the gazillion. There was cack sure like Puddle of Mudd but then there was the good stuff like The Deftones though tbh they never got the kicking LB got.

Posted on 12 Dec 2013 11:44:06 GMT
RAB says:
Got a soft spot for Linkin Park and System of a Down made a big impact on me in my teens. In fact SOAD are just about the only metal I can listen to.

Are we lumping the likes of KoRn in here too? Never really listened to them although I think I'd like them. Enjoyed Deftones set at Reading this year too.

Posted on 12 Dec 2013 11:49:09 GMT
easytiger says:
Where do Gallows come or Cancer Bats?

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Dec 2013 12:15:33 GMT
Nugent Dirt says:
yeah KoRn v much so and Cancer Bats

Posted on 12 Dec 2013 13:04:53 GMT
James Warner says:
How about Taproot. First three albums are pretty good then it went downhill with the fourth. Here's a link to their second and best as far as I'm concerned - Welcome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPBagWgSPJI

Posted on 12 Dec 2013 13:23:55 GMT
Post Soviet says:
Right now getting into Korn, missed at the time. Find them original, very listenable with interesting guy on lead vocals and a bit morbid issues (abused as a kid?).
Manson probably doesn't fit into "nu" category, but also had good stuff from same time (second half of 90s).

Posted on 12 Dec 2013 14:52:16 GMT
T. Franklin says:
I've also got into KoЯn this year. Really groundbreaking band - same with Slipknot, who I'd ignored before due to the number of kids who used to be seen wearing their merch.

Limp Bizkit on the other hand are definitely the dark side. Whenever I hear Fred Durst a mental image springs up of a pre-pubescent child having a public screaming fit. Maybe I could enjoy them if his contributions were erased, as there are some good things going on musically - with the early stuff anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Dec 2013 15:03:05 GMT
although no my bag o' chocolate spanners, tim, i always thought wes borland to be a talented and inventive guitarist. but durst wid burst yer heid, richt enough.

Posted on 9 Jan 2014 21:08:24 GMT
N. Hudson says:
I've never been totally sure what nu-metal is/was, short of it including Korn (who I like), and Limp Bizkit and Staind (who I don't).
I do like SOAD (since they're mentioned above somewhere), but I've never heard of them called nu-metal before. I've heard them called many things (including prog!), but never nu-metal.

Being a patrotic Kiwi, I'm a bit of a fan of Blindspott (now performing under than name Blacklistt, due to legal reasons), and they were sort of nu-metal before nu-metal even became popular. Although, the eventual popularity of nu-metal probably helped no end in finally getting their debut album released. (The band had been around since the mid '90s, but "Blindspott" wasn't released until 2003.) Blindspott released two studio albums, which both debuted at number one in the NZ music charts. If they are/were nu-metal, then they would easily be NZ's most successful nu-metal act.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2014 14:42:20 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Jan 2014 14:42:48 GMT
Nugent Dirt says:
Mebbe 'nu-metal' was a phrase used by music hacks in the UK but it was most definitely used to refer to atypical metal bands with a hip hop vibe and /or drawing on other genres. SOAD, Korn, Deftones etc were lumped in with MTV fodder like Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach, Linkin Park, Puddle of Mudd , Stain etc. In their defence most of them refused to bore the world with pointless widdly guitar solos bolted on to tunes for the sake of it.

Posted on 26 Jan 2014 16:22:27 GMT
N. Hudson says:
Nu metal to me pretty much started with Korn, and the defining characteristic was the bottom-end heavy sound, with downtuned guitars, and the use of guitars and bass guitars with extra strings that helped achieve this heavy, grungy sound. (Apologies if this is wrong. I'm no guitar player, and this is what I saw and heard in Korn videos, etc.) The first bands, other than Korn, to have the label attached were very similar sounding, eg early Deftones. At this stage, there was no blending of genres, nor any sign of the hip hop vibe.

Again, from what I saw and heard (which is only what was presented to me in NZ on the radio and tv, so I could have missed plenty), it was only after Korn took to adding the hip hop vibe, that the Nu Metal label added this to the arsenal. Thus, a band like Linkin Park would not have fitted the initial Nu Metal "template", but once sampling, DJs and turntables were added to the "definition" of Nu Metal, Linkin Park fitted the label.

I would add to the list of bands above Coal Chamber - another of the Korn-like Nu Metal bands, who were phenomenally successful at the time, but dropped into obscurity.

At no point though, can I reconcile the lable to SOAD. It's not that I dislike the label, as I like plenty of bands described as Nu Metal - but I just can't see the Nu Metal "template" anywhere in any of their releases. At no point have they sounded like Korn did. Staind and Limp Bizkit moved away from the Korn sound very quickly, but originally they did sound like Korn. And Korn have always sounded like Korn, even if they have changed their sound several times over the years. Underneath any album, is the same downtuned Nu Metal.

Posted on 27 Jan 2014 09:17:03 GMT
RAB says:
If you're after a downtuned heavy sound, then SOAD does fit that criteria. Most of their songs are in Drop D or C, although they do lack the hip-hop sound.

I guess because they came to prominence at a similar time and don't fit in with a lot of other types of metal that's where the label comes from?

Posted on 27 Jan 2014 20:51:55 GMT
N. Hudson says:
I agree with the downtuned heavy sound, but it is a lot faster (for lack of a better word) than any of the grungy Nu Metal bands. SOAD also play around with time signatures a lot more than the standard Nu Metal bands.

I think it is, as you say, because they came to prominence at a similar time, and didn't fit in with a lot of other bands. In a similar way that some bands which weren't really grunge (if grunge ever really existed) got bunched in with the grunge bands, when they had enough differences to be something different again. SOAD is one of those "different again" bands. I tend to group them with funk metal more than nu-metal. (Funk metal at least is a more diverse label than nu metal.)

Posted on 28 Jan 2014 19:46:00 GMT
FDJ says:
Just a note - The drop D and drop C tuning was not just the territory of the nu-metal bands, in fact Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath was one of the first of the metal guitarists to use this type of tuning back in '73. He was forced into this owing to losing the tips of two of his fingers on his fretting hand, the slacker tuning allowed him to hold down a chord/fret without too much pain. Drop tuning was also a staple of the grunge scene with bands like Alice In Chains using it to achieve a drone-like sound to their riffs.
As for SOAD- no way should they be lumped in with the nu- metal thing.

Posted on 28 Jan 2014 19:52:45 GMT
N. Hudson says:
Certainly, downtuning is not something used solely by nu-metal bands, nor invented by them. It is merely one of the defining characteristics. I am definitely familiar with Black Sabbath's and AiC's downtuning, as they were both for many years my two favourite bands. I always loved the reason for Black Sabbath's downtuning (note, I don't love that Tony Iommi lost the tips of his fingers - but how cool is it that he just virtually invented a new way of playing?), and I am sure it is what first attracted me to AiC.

On a somewhat (but not at all) similar note, I have also thought it rather cool that Sean Kinney ripped off his cast to play the drums on Facelift. I may have this story a bit wrong, as I've not googled prior to writing this, but from memory, he broke his hand/wrist prior to the recording. A session drummer was roped in to complete the drum parts, but Sean didn't want that, so he removed the cast, and recorded his drums parts with the broken hand/wrist.

Glad to see also, someone else who doesn't think SOAD should be lumped in with nu-metal!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (767 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  12 Dec 2013
Latest post:  28 Jan 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions