Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Best AC/DC album?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 100 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Mar 2010 20:49:38 BDT
Blondie says:
If you could only have one AC/DC album on your desert island what would it be?

Posted on 29 Mar 2010 21:05:22 BDT
BOF © says:
Still in the shop in blighty?
best bones
B.O.F.

Posted on 29 Mar 2010 21:07:08 BDT
Rum1977 says:
Nows that a mean question!

Its a toss up between Razors Edge, High Voltage and Back in Black... I'm going to say High Voltage, I think I'll miss singing to TNT at the top of my voice.

Posted on 29 Mar 2010 21:12:23 BDT
Tikka says:
I'll go for Highway to Hell. Cracking tunes, all the ingredients in place for the worldwide success they finally achieved with Back in Black (which I also like, but not quite as much).

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2010 21:26:33 BDT
Martin says:
Highway to Hell is their best, but my personal favourite would have to be Dirty Deeds.

Posted on 29 Mar 2010 21:50:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Mar 2010 21:53:39 BDT
Love all the Bon ones plus Back In Black so it's a toughie. Probably Powerage as long as it was an edition with Cold Hearted Man on it.

Talking of which, why the hell can't it be added as a bonus track if the non-UK version keeps being re-released? Same with Let There Be Rock by missing off Crabsody In Blue.

Posted on 29 Mar 2010 21:53:33 BDT
It has to be Powerage - I saw them tour the album and they were at the height of their powers with Bon Scott in the best form of any front man I've ever seen. Riff Raff is the best track on the album but all are outstanding - what could have been had Mr Scott had lived!

Posted on 29 Mar 2010 22:03:00 BDT
For Those About to Rock, or Blow Up Your Video. But it is such a close call on about 8 of them that I will have changed my mind by the time I have posted this. Nah, I had, but have changed it back.

Posted on 29 Mar 2010 22:28:41 BDT
ileftuastar says:
Cant believe it hasnt been chosen, but thats a by product of such a strong catologue...
Has to be Let there be rock {from the brian era ,will go for Razors edge}

Posted on 29 Mar 2010 23:04:14 BDT
Tripmender says:
Bon: Powerage
Brian: For Those About to Rock
Overall: POWERAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Mar 2010 00:04:41 BDT
I've gotta go for Powerage too. Easily the best in my book
What's next to the moon is an amazing track

Posted on 30 Mar 2010 00:28:14 BDT
has nobody thought to mention flick of the switch ,i just love this album.i know its a bit one dimensional but as a whole its sheer bludgeoning power has not been bettered by the band since!!!
from the bon era its just got to be powerage ,if only for downpayment blues.

Posted on 30 Mar 2010 02:11:46 BDT
Sera69 says:
i'll take the one they keep re-releasing. Yeaah, different packaging and name, but i'm never fooled!!

(OK, Let There Be Rock & (I really loved it) Stiff Upper Lip).

Posted on 30 Mar 2010 10:46:31 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
IMO they're one of those bands that are best live so for me If You Want Blood trumps the rest easily

Posted on 13 May 2010 20:48:16 BDT
jack the hat says:
very hard to pick but has to be 1 powerage,2 dirty deeds,3high voltage,I know you said one but its a hard choice,except fly on the wall,my least fave....

Posted on 23 Aug 2010 23:17:18 BDT
mr crowley says:
highway to hell

Posted on 24 Aug 2010 08:59:24 BDT
S. J. Reason says:
Powerage for me, no contest. It's also Malcolm Young's favourite. Down Payment Blues, Gone Shootin', Cold Hearted Man, Up to My Neck In You, Riff Raff, christ it sounds like a best of compilation to me. Any cd that DOESN'T have Phil Rudd on drums doesn't count as an AC/DC cd.
Best from Johnson era, well I've got a sneaky little soft spot for Flick of The Switch, but in a fight with Powerage it gets knocked out in the second.

Posted on 24 Aug 2010 19:25:54 BDT
D. Reynolds says:
Powerage, mainly for Riff Raff and Kicked in the Teeth but any Bon album would do. Can't take any of the Brian stuff seriously after For Those About To Rock.

Posted on 24 Aug 2010 21:57:18 BDT
T. Franklin says:
Yes, has to be either Powerage or Let There Be Rock for me too.

The fact that they recorded pretty much live in the studio at this time, and that they were at the height of their powers gives those records an awesome energy.

Posted on 27 Aug 2010 09:08:59 BDT
Derek W. says:
For some reason I don't have any AC/DC albums in my collection, although I'm familiar with the classic tracks that get a lot of radio play and enjoy them. Based on what I've read here I've just invested £3.99 with Amazon on Powerage which seems to be getting the majority vote. However, I'm a real fan of live albums over studio, so I'd appreciate any recommendations for best live AC/DC album to try.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2010 09:22:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Aug 2010 16:03:26 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Best live AC/DC is DEFINITELY If You Want Blood ... (and definitely NOT AC/DC live which is OK at best). A stonking alternative would be the box set Bonfire (which also has the full Back in Black album - incongruous and redundant for most fans but by the sounds of it you won't have it) which has them live in the studio and in concert. Should you decide to spring for this DON'T buy from a US-based new & used retailer as there will be tax to pay (over £18) and most gallingly a £10 surcharge from the good old Post Office!

Best AC/DC album not by AC/DC - Hardest Town by the improbably named Rhino Bucket. Not copyists but they have the groove of the Bon Scott era.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2010 10:07:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Aug 2010 10:08:13 BDT
Tikka says:
If you want blood.... is the best live album by far - single LP length, just the best stuff from their (Powerage tour) shows with no filler

Investing more, Bonfire is a good collection - I agree with MY that the inclusion of Back in Black is a bit incongruous, but if you haven't already got it it's worth having the biggest selling rock album of all time

Posted on 27 Aug 2010 11:53:04 BDT
let there be rock, if only because whole lotta rosie is the ultimate rock anthem

Posted on 27 Aug 2010 13:49:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Aug 2010 13:50:03 BDT
T. Franklin says:
Yup, Bonfire is an excellent set - the previously promo only album Live At The Atlantic Studios included therein is worth the price of admission alone IMVHO. Just a shame the packaging has been downgraded; mine's the original long-box form

If You Want Blood... is perhaps the greatest live album ever (certainly in the rock genre). Bags of atmosphere, which is what a live set should be about.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2010 15:03:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Aug 2010 15:06:26 BDT
Another vote for If You Want Blood and also to mention the Live At The Atlantic Studios live set included in Bonfire. Both first class outings. AC/DC Live, the Brian Johnston fronted live outing, is still a good listen and is almost like a best of both bands(not counting changes in bass player that is) collection up to that point in time. In fact AC/DC, despite being one of the greatest live acts on the go, have only got the three live albums. If you got IFYWB and Live that would cover most of their live output on cd.

Personally I would like to hear a good recording of the Fly on The Wall Tour, just to hear the tracks that are seldom aired that they played on that tour.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (767 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  40
Total posts:  100
Initial post:  29 Mar 2010
Latest post:  8 Apr 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions