Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Behemoth - worth the hype??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Feb 2014 20:13:09 GMT
Adam Jackson says:
These seem to be the band of the moment; even as a Black Metal fan I've not crossed swords with them - anyone into them?

Posted on 2 Feb 2014 11:36:47 GMT
N. Hudson says:
Never heard of them. Black metal with or without the growled vocals? I find the genre interesting musically, but the vocal stylings of some put me off.

Posted on 2 Feb 2014 12:29:33 GMT
Brass Neck says:
Behemoth? Gonna be BIG dude! ;)

Posted on 2 Feb 2014 13:13:49 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
I quite like their music and would probably add one of their albums to my collection for the occasional listen however the vocals are not to my taste, so it's a 'Miss' for me. I've no idea about the hype.

Posted on 2 Feb 2014 14:31:22 GMT
N. Hudson says:
If it's a miss for Red, it's probably a miss for me too then. (I've yet to be let down by your recommendations, Red!)

Posted on 2 Feb 2014 18:33:35 GMT
B Rep says:
..I checked them out via a few videos on YouTube AJ, and was very impressed by their videos and the music.. however the vocals were just awful.... he should lighten up a bit, maybe suck on a few Fishermen's Friends or cut down on the cigarettes? ....

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2014 20:14:57 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
Thanks NH. We all have our own reasons for contributing to the music forum. It's other peoples recommendations for me. I now enjoy the music of many bands/ artist who I didn't know existed.

Posted on 2 Feb 2014 20:37:34 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Feb 2014 20:44:38 GMT
N. Hudson says:
Likewise. Which is bad for my wallet, but rewarding in so many other ways. I'm not even bothering to find some Behemoth to listen to though - as if the vocals are as I imagine them to be from the previous comments, then they're not going to be my cup of tea. Growls just seem to ruin it for me. For example, I love all that Wolverine have put out, apart from their Window Purpose album, which still features the growls. Actually, that's not strictly true, as there are some tasteful growls in the background of a couple of tracks of Cold Light Of Monday, but I didn't even notice them on my first listening - and that remains my favourite album by the former melodic death metal band. Thankfully they are now melodic prog metal, rather than melodic death metal, and all for the better, as far as I'm concerned. (In the same way I enjoy Katatonia and Anathema since they left their doom behind.)

The only growls I have ever managed to put up with, because the music so impressed me, are those of Opeth. And it looks as if they may be dropped at some point in the future too, the way the last few albums have evolved. I know this will be sacrilege to most Opeth fans, but I hope that is the case.

(Edited to add) Just had a look at the Wolverine album page on Amazon to see if it had a review or two, and was more amazed to see it for 75p (plus p&P, of course). Good old zoverstocks again! Well worth it at that price. (Sorry that I've gone horribly off-topic...)

Posted on 5 Feb 2014 22:58:31 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
AJ and NH. I wondered if you might be interested in this? If you are not already familiar. It's new to me. I like it a lot. I've only heard the clips so I'm not aware of the quality of the mix. Very drum and guitar dominated. I'm going to take the plunge and order the CD
Habitual Levitations

Posted on 7 Feb 2014 21:08:52 GMT
N. Hudson says:
Definitely liking what I'm hearing so far. I ventured over to Spotify, and saw their description "based upon the aggressive and progressive new sound made popular by Mastodon" and pressed play. Now I like Mastodon anyway, so I was surprised by what I heard, because it sounds nothing like Mastodon to me! But I do like what I hear, and this will be added to my wish list. Thanks RM! (Again!)

Posted on 7 Feb 2014 23:30:41 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
You're welcome NH. I'm looking forward to hearing the whole album on CD. I have a feeling I won't be disappointed.

Posted on 8 Feb 2014 11:38:10 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
N.H I've been reading your 'Sponge' reviews this morning. Very nice music by a band who completely passed me by. I've not heard any of their albums before. I will be investing!

Posted on 8 Feb 2014 21:10:16 GMT
N. Hudson says:
I've always had a soft spot for Sponge, who probably never did well, because they never fitted a genre at the right time (if ever). Their single "Plowed" hit it massively big in the US, because it was around the time the Seattle/grunge scene hit - but wasn't really at all representative of the album it was pulled from (the choice of single being down to the record company, rather than the band). Their second album (Wax Ecstatic) is probably my favourite, but it is still massively flawed (again because of record company interference, who wouldn't let them release the concept album they wanted to). I think the only album of theirs I don't have (of the seven they have released) is their most recent (released end of last year, I think).

I love Vinnie's voice, and if you can find it, the Spys4Darwin ep ("Microfish") ep is pretty awesome. And by somewhat of a supergroup, too: Vin on vocs, Chris deGarmo (ex-Queensryche) on guitars, Mike Inez (Alice in Chains) on bass, and Sean Kinney (Alice in Chains) on drums.

Posted on 10 Feb 2014 15:35:44 GMT
B Rep says:
Behemoth - Sponge, worth the soap?? ......

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Feb 2014 09:38:55 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
Thanks for the info NH

I don't know whether or not you are familiar with the music of King Crimson. Here's a couple of theirs that lean towards 'heavy' with some outstanding percussion. Two of my favorite KC albums

Construkction Of Light
Thrak

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Feb 2014 17:33:27 GMT
N. Hudson says:
Thanks RM. I have always wondered where to dabble in latter-day KC. I have their first series of albums (from Court to Red), which I adore - but what little I've heard of the post Red work (bits of Discipline, Beat and Pair) didn't really do it for me at all. I had heard that the later albums were better, but I have to admit that Adrian Belew's vocal style isn't exactly my cup of tea - a bit too Talking Heads.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Feb 2014 21:50:56 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
Ok, look out for this year's new line up. Touring in Sept 2014 without Adrian Belew, I think.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Feb 2014 10:35:44 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 16 Feb 2014 16:30:29 GMT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  1 Feb 2014
Latest post:  16 Feb 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions